Status
Not open for further replies.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Hey folks. I just received some nic in the mail today. I ordered some 100 mg/ml and 36 mg/ml strength bottles. The 36 mg is for my regular mixing, but I also got a small bottle of 100 mg to "fix" some zero nic juices that I have (I was planning on going zero nic but have changed my mind). Anyway, the 36 mg is clear and odorless, but the 100mg has a rubbery smell to it. It is clear, but it definitely has a scent to it. The smell is obvious, but not overwhelming. I have mixed a batch of flavorless to test it, and so far the smell is not noticeable when mixed, and the flavor is OK, but I vape 6mg strength, so it is heavily diluted. Should I be worried? I have looked around and found that some others have had similar experiences with this vendor. I won't name names just yet, though. Some say it's fine, some toss it, some contact the vendor and get a replacement or refund, and some have contacted the vendor and been told that this is normal. Opinions?

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I'd like to support certain shops for certain reasons, but if I can't use what they send...............

There are a couple of well thought-of shops that have recently been sending out very poor nic, just do a search previous to purchasing.

Personally, I've been DIY'ing since I've started and there is PLENTY of colorless, odorless nic out there. I don't listen to anyone telling me that it's "normal" if it's offensive tasting-smelling. It's My money and I won't settle for less.

If it's offensive when received, what's it going to be like towards the end of the bottle???

Buck Up and giv'em hell, I say!!

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 6, 2011
    North Carolina, USA
    Is it from rts? My shop received a few liters and it all smelled like the rubber you've described. We called and they replaced it. But I was able to taste the "rubber" and nic content seemed higher

This makes me think I should get a test kit just to be sure of the nic content.

I'd like to support certain shops for certain reasons, but if I can't use what they send...............

There are a couple of well thought-of shops that have recently been sending out very poor nic, just do a search previous to purchasing.

Personally, I've been DIY'ing since I've started and there is PLENTY of colorless, odorless nic out there. I don't listen to anyone telling me that it's "normal" if it's offensive tasting-smelling. It's My money and I won't settle for less.

If it's offensive when received, what's it going to be like towards the end of the bottle???

Buck Up and giv'em hell, I say!!

Unfortunately, I did not come across anything about vendor specific nic quality until AFTER I had placed the order. I have already sent an email about the issue, and I am 99% sure they will respond favorably. I have had issues with previous orders from this vendor, and they have always gone above and beyond to fix the issue. Heck, on my first order, I had forgotten to add an item, which was 100% my fault. That item would have qualified my order for free shipping. I emailed them before it had shipped, but it was already too late, so they credited my account for the shipping of that item.

Keep in mind that the whole thing about "that is normal" was from someone else on another forum, and it was only one person. It's completely possible that there was a miscommunication or that person was out for blood.

If it was from WL's new batch and the bottle was sealed with black electrical tape. It may be the tape your smelling. Poor a little bit in a bowl and take another wiff.

Nope, not Wizard, but I did find a few similar complaints about WL nic. It seems nicotine is hard to get right every single time, and that there are variances in quality from batch to batch.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    www.e-cigarette-forum.com
    You smelled your 100mg nic solution? LOL. I kept my nose away from it as much as I could but the little whiff I did get actually smelled sort of like tobacco.

Smelling it wont harm you just don't drink it:)

Nope, not Wizard, but I did find a few similar complaints about WL nic. It seems nicotine is hard to get right every single time, and that there are variances in quality from batch to batch.

You are correct. They differ from batch to batch. But if you've mixed a 6mg base and you didn't notice any prodominent odor or color it should be fine but if in doubt get a test kit.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 6, 2011
    North Carolina, USA
    Smelling it wont harm you just don't drink it:)

Truth be told, I was a little woozy after taking a few whiffs from that 100mg bottle. :danger:

You are correct. They differ from batch to batch. But if you've mixed a 6mg base and you didn't notice any prodominent odor or color it should be fine but if in doubt get a test kit.

Definitely picking up a test kit from WL. I don't want to take any chances. Better safe than sorry. I wholly trust the vendor, but people make mistakes from time to time.

I have been going back to my unflavored test batch a few times over the course of the evening and I am starting to taste it, albeit only slightly. I also made a flavored test juice, and I can't taste it at all, but I know it's there. I'm getting a new bottle and flushing this stuff, or sending it back to the vendor if they want me to.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Iowa, IA, USA
    Fwiw, we will not deal with vendors who consistently "ship crap" and then happily/willingly "make it right". Of course they're glad to 'make it right', as they likely shipped 100 orders of crap (that should have dealt with properly), but had only a handful of complaints (from those that 'know their nic')...and then those people post how wonderful the customer service is to handle their problems so pleasantly.

We're herbalists; we know there's always going to be slight differences in taste/smell of our extractions. No two batches of plants are ever exactly alike. But the variances in taste & smell that we consistently read on ECF are not "slight". There's simply no excuse.

:::tearing out hair::: THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR ANY COMPANY/LABORATORY THAT DEALS IN UNREGULATED NICOTINE TO CONTINUALLY/CONSISTENTLY 'SHIP MISTAKES'! At the very LEAST they should smell every batch/bottle before shipping!

What ALL nic-vendors should do is exactly what Nude Nic does, and PROPERLY TEST EVERY BATCH - and clearly publish the test data!

Here's a copy of the response I received from Jake at Nude Nic (mid November, when inquiring about the ETA on nic):

Last week we had a lot of nicotine that did not pass the USP34 specifications, and we subsequently disposed of the material. Our supplier was notified immediately and has expedited a fresh lot to San Diego, due to arrive early this week. I will personally run the analytical testing to expedite the production process, and we should be up and running by mid this week assuming all goes well :)

C'mon vapers! We only recommend/suggest using USP grade VG or PG, but we're going to fund (and recommend) companies that CONSISTENTLY ship inconsistent product, provide limited/no public test data, and happily refund those that know to complain? We want CoA's to be available for every batch we buy! 'Gonna buy VG or PG that says "tested one batch last year for purity and it qualified to be USP; here's the test results from that batch. Trust us on the batch you're getting; we made it the same way"? Of course not. So why would we not demand AT LEAST that same quality for our nicotine?!

'Sorry if all that offends anybody - we just had to get that off our chest.

Vape wisely & safely!

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    www.e-cigarette-forum.com
    It's perfectly OK to go on a rant from time to time. I just recently went on a rant myself over the same subject. In looking at the vender the OP got his NIC from (I did PM him and asked) I would say he has nothing to worry about. But it's always better to be safe then sorry and recommending to get a test kit and test when in doubt is always prudent.

Last edited:

exnihilo

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Fwiw, we will not deal with vendors who consistently "ship crap" and then happily/willingly "make it right". Of course they're glad to 'make it right', as they likely shipped 100 orders of crap (that should have dealt with properly), but had only a handful of complaints (from those that 'know their nic')...and then those people post how wonderful the customer service is to handle their problems so pleasantly.

We're herbalists; we know there's always going to be slight differences in taste/smell of our extractions. No two batches of plants are ever exactly alike. But the variances in taste & smell that we consistently read on ECF are not "slight". There's simply no excuse.

:::tearing out hair::: THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR ANY COMPANY/LABORATORY THAT DEALS IN UNREGULATED NICOTINE TO CONTINUALLY/CONSISTENTLY 'SHIP MISTAKES'! At the very LEAST they should smell every batch/bottle before shipping!

What ALL nic-vendors should do is exactly what Nude Nic does, and PROPERLY TEST EVERY BATCH - and clearly publish the test data!

Here's a copy of the response I received from Jake at Nude Nic (mid November, when inquiring about the ETA on nic):

Last week we had a lot of nicotine that did not pass the USP34 specifications, and we subsequently disposed of the material. Our supplier was notified immediately and has expedited a fresh lot to San Diego, due to arrive early this week. I will personally run the analytical testing to expedite the production process, and we should be up and running by mid this week assuming all goes well :)

C'mon vapers! We only recommend/suggest using USP grade VG or PG, but we're going to fund (and recommend) companies that CONSISTENTLY ship inconsistent product, provide limited/no public test data, and happily refund those that know to complain? We want CoA's to be available for every batch we buy! 'Gonna buy VG or PG that says "tested one batch last year for purity and it qualified to be USP; here's the test results from that batch. Trust us on the batch you're getting; we made it the same way"? Of course not. So why would we not demand AT LEAST that same quality for our nicotine?!

Vape wisely & safely!

Abso-freaking-lutely. Fair regulation is far fetched, and we know why, but if the regulations were fair, and not just for the lobbyists, BP and BT, I'm all for it. Don't use crap materials in my product, don't make my stuff in your kitchen, etc...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 26, 2010
    Florida Keys
    LOL Or shopping here. I'll take four radials and a liter of your top shelf :D

WALMART TIRE & LUBE Automotive Department, Wal Mart Tire Auto Parts Store, WalMart Super Center .jpg

TheSystemHasFailed

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2013
    Valhalla

Vape wisely & safely!
    Go to Vapeon.tv on Mondays, you can catch him on cam talking about the company. Or do you already go?

Crunktanium

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 2, 2013
    Florida (east coast)
    I never got nic with a pink hue always 100% clear as glass. Not that it's a big deal as long as you can fully trust the source. Yellow to Orange/Reddish is about the only colors you should see which indicates slight to moderate oxidation. I have seen 100mg oxidized nic that turned a bloody orange tint after a few weeks although it was still fine to use. The higher the strength the quicker oxidation will occur and not all vendors actually cut their own nic. So if you buy 100mg it's best to cut it down to batches of 60mg or less depending on your mixing needs.

People often get so worked up about the color when many juice vendors use oxidized nic all the time. Sometimes the oxidized nic is purposely mixed with fresh nic to speed up the reaction that occurs with speed steeping. Few would know the difference between old nic and fresh product that has been properly steeped in advance. The taste wont change as high purity is what it is unless you leave the cap off for extended periods which can introduce contaminants. If it tastes bad I would not vape it but if it tastes fine I would not worry too much about color.

Unless you're buying gallons of the stuff it should get used up by the average DIY'er long before it goes bad. I have been told to expect up to about three years of storage life or more for fresh product. Test after a year and every few months thereafter to verify strength and discard once it became too weak to do anything with. I trust my source because they test every batch (before and after) and I have seen first hand the lab where everything is processed. If a vendor has something to hide and restricts me from viewing their facility it would raise a red flag. I think better then just posting a sheet for every batch nic vendors should all provide a virtual tour of their lab operations.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread