100% VG and LR/DC cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
Thinking about trying some of E-Cig Arsenal's Solstice, but I've never used 100% VG in one of the Leo's LR/DC cartos. Don't feel like wasting half of the bottle and killing a brand new carto at the same time...anyone ever used 100%VG in them? How was it? Did it kill the carto noticeably faster? Make the draw really stiff? :confused:

Thanks, everybody!

DragonXIII

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
North Alabama
www.myclassicvw.com
Hi Hurricanegirl100,

I hope I can answer your question.

I started from day one with a LEO.
First with the atty/cart then the single coil XL carto then the DC LR.
(See pbusardo Review of the LEO A PBusardo Review - The Leo Electronic Cigarette and Leo Cartomizers - YouTube and DC LR Carto A PBusardo Review Leo Dual Coil LR Cartomizer - YouTube )

I tried the DC Clearomizer but was not real happy with it.
I had issues with the wicking and leaking after a short time.
One burned on me the first day (likely due to not letting it soak and wick properly)
I fiddled with them and tried different things in an attempt to get them to wick better but ultimately caused them to leak badly due to taking them apart so many times.
(This is my opinion, Others may have had better results)

But so far I have only used 100% VG in my cartos and have been satisfied with the performance of the single coil and DC LR cartos.
They tend to have a useful life of 2 to 3 weeks when keeping an eye on the filler not letting it get to dry. (Prevent burning)
They do get more and more "Clogged" over time.
With light juices they tend to last a bit longer than with dark heavy juices.
juice tends to cake up on the coils and block the air path making them harder and harder to draw over time.
(They can be cleaned by boiling them then reused. See pbusardo video A PBusardo Tutorial - How I clean my Boge 510 LR Cartos - YouTube )

Some tips:
Be sure to let them sit and soak when first filled. It is easy to under fill them on the initial filling.
The filler material is wrapped pretty tightly around the two vertical coils and the air path.
The thicker 100% VG takes a while to soak in to the center of the filler and to the coils.
Just take your time and let it soak in and fill it until it starts dribbling out the battery end.
Clean up the threads and the space around the center connector.
NOTE: CAUTION: Never turn the slotted center post.
It looks like it is slotted like a head of a screw. But it is not threaded like a screw.
There are wires soldered to it inside to make a connection to the coils inside.
If the center post is turned it will break the wires, destroying the internal connections to the coils.

I hope this helps.
I also hope I did not get to technical.

I Love My LEO
Steve J

Last edited:

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
Good video, Dragon-Steve! Does that boiling method work on the larger XL Leo Cartos, too?

"Never turn the slotted center post"...:blink: (takes the XL LR/DC carto out of her Leo and looks at it...LIGHTBULB!) there are wires attached to this inside. If I unscrewed it while trying to clean the coils, I'd break the solder on the wires! Gotcha!

Your post is the final nail in the coffin on me trying the Clearomizer. Too many people have too many problems with 'em.

Thanks so much for all of your help! When I get my first bottle of 100% VG juice (that Solstice e-juice from Michele and ECArsenal) and load up that carto, I'll send another telepathic note of thanks down Alabama way!

franny~ who also Loves her Leo(s)!

DragonXIII

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
North Alabama
www.myclassicvw.com
Franny,

Thanks for the kind words.

Although I haven't tried the boiling the cartos to clean them yet, I was going to do so sometime this weekend.
I have a good hand full of both XL single coil and DC LR cartos that need to be cleaned.
The video gave me enough info to try it.
The 510s he uses are constructed basically the same way so I see no reason it won't work.
I'll let you know.

And again as far as the clearomizers go, To be fair, it was only my opinion and personal experience with them that I stated. And I would never intentionally put down anyone's product. We need vendors and creative people to continue coming up with these ideas. So that being said, there is not much harm in possibly getting a single unit to try out for yourself. Like Juices, one person's favorite may not be palatable to someone else.

I Love My LEO
Dragon XIII - Steve J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread