100% VG and the conventional wisdom of single-hole tank cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
When I started using cartotanks I accepted the conventional wisdom that single-hole cartos weren't adequate for 100% VG juice. And not just on blind faith, my experience with wicking clearos was such that the wicks and coils would gunk up quickly and I'd either have to change atomizer heads or toss them (in the case of clearos without changeable heads).

Anyway, my cheapo punch tool quickly dulled and began deforming cartos so much they wouldn't fit in the tanks. I tracked down a better tool but before I got I decided to try a single-hole (factory drilled) Smok 1.5 dual coil carto with Johnson Creek Vanda.

I figured that I would quickly dry it out and get a burned taste, especially with Vanda which is a pretty thick and sweet 100% VG juice.

Strangely this hasn't happened. I filled the 3.5 ml tank as full as I could and it's now nearly empty and the carto is still going strong, no loss of flavor, no burned taste. My go-to juice is JC Red Oak Tennessee Cured and I'm tempted to try this juice without adding a second punch, too.

Is the idea that you need to add holes for sweet 100% VG juices more of a vague guideline? Am I taking it too seriously?

The only thing I can think that might be a factor in this that I don't use super high voltage -- I use either stock EVOD eGo batteries or a Joye spinner at about 3.8v. As for "chain vaping" -- maybe I'm not hitting it hard or often enough to run it dry?

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
FWIW, I replaced the carto on my tank I use with red oak Tennessee cured with a standard one hole Smok 1.5 dual coil carto.

It works great. I've vaped it enough since I changed it that it must be drawing from tank (ie not just the priming liquid) and no issues.

I also refilled my vanda tank without changing the carto (still on a stock Smok 1 hole) and it's also going strong.

This would be great if this keeps up, 100% Vg with no extra punches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread