100% VG with E2 R4 Cartomizer Easy Fill For Me Anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Linehan

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Salem, MA
marknsalem.blogspot.com
Okay, I got these new ceramic cartomizers for my 510 collection of hardware the other day. At first I could not fill them at all. I could not even get the syringe to fill with my 100% VG. I only use VG in my mixes now and almost since the beginning. I like the vapor and I dislike PG and PEG400 as well.

No my carto's have 1 single rubber insert at the mouthpiece and it is very thick, almost like 3 of the older and thinner rubber tips on the standard 510 cartomizers. I have been trying to find filling videos for these E2 R4 carts for two days. They all show these carto's that have multiple rubber inserts to take out. I only have the 1 thick insert. So I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing to fill these suckers.

I saw someone mention in passing someplace, and I am sorry I can not remember where. If I see it again or find out who, I will let you know. For now, all props to the person who suggested this might work. IT DOES!

You can NOT fill the syringe with 100% VG using those flimsy blue tips that come in the box. The VG is just too thick for the syringe to put out the pressure needed to suck it up.

HOWEVER.. The amount of pressure you create when trying to expel liquid from a small syringe is far greater than the intake pressure. So you can, in fact, use these blue tips to fill these cartomizers. You just fill the syringe without using the blue tip first. Then put the blue tip on, slide it into one of those two tiny side holes, and very slowly, fill the carto. I don't know about these carto's that have the multiple rubber disks/gaskets/inserts. Mine with just the 1 thick disk hold 1.1ml of juice. Any more than that and it squirts up the center. Granted, I have noticed that these carto's still function fairly well even flooded, and after a few hits the flooding is eliminated and normal vaping resumes.

I will tell you these new carto's have better flavor and better vapor production than anything else I have used. I went back to my original single 14500 battery homemade mod and with these 2.8-3.0ohm carto's the 3.7b-4.2v is perfect again! I don't need 5v to get any real vapor or taste any more.

I am wishing now that I hadn't ordered more standard atomizers, because I don't think I will want to use them now.

So there you have it. Fill the syringe without the blue tip. Use the blue tip to fill the E2 R4's.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Mark :toast:

PS. I am still waiting for broken mods to come my way. I will fix them and offer them up on the PIF needs for free to people who really need them. Maybe have some contests or something fun, or I can setup votes for who gets what. Someone before had the idea of sending me two broken mods and I would fix one for him and keep the other for the PIF. I thought this was a fair deal. The mods never got sent to me, but the idea is a good one. If it gets us mods to help people on the PIF needs it would be worth it to fix them.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
I just got my first order of the XL 3ohm's last night and I love them! I've been filling them exactly like you posted, Mark, and it works just fine. I'm using mostly 50/50 mixes, so it's still not a quick fill, but it's worth it. These have been working great for me! I have a handful of eGo Mega cartos that just might get PIF'd because of these babies!

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
Mark, the flimsy blue tips that come in the box have a fitting for Luer-Lok syringes and pipettes. This type of fitting is designed to be used just the way you discovered. Various size needles are available for them, including blunt tips. The E2 was originally designed for a 21 guage needle, but a larger 20 guage needle can be forced in the hole. A smaller 22 guage is a common size and can also be used.

I began using this type with a needle back when the E2's first became available. There was no blue tip included then, so we were on our own about what to use. Personally, I prefer to use a needle, but some people can't stand the thought of using one, heheh..

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
Mark, if you take out the plug and there aren't any more plastic plugs inside you should be able to use a thicker needle. the reason for using those thin plastic needles was to get them through that tiny hole in the last plug. Can't say for sure because I don't have the the type with a one piece plug. Can you just drip juice down the side after removing the plug? Also where did you order these? I would like to try some.

Mark Linehan

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Salem, MA
marknsalem.blogspot.com
I can drip mine down the sides, but it doesn't always seep through that material that lines the edges around the ceramic cup. Also, I have a hard plastic needle tip that is about twice the thickness of the small blue tip, and with that second rubber gasket removed exposing the cup, I still can not get the hard plastic tip through the black material for some reason. I am just sticking with using the blue tip for filling the carto, and using something else to fill the syringe first.

ALTHOUGH, on the good side of things, I have found that after using the blue tip with 100% VG a number of times, for some reason the tip loosens up somehow and you can begin using the blue tip for all steps of carto filling with pure VG. Could the tip be stretching somehow???

I ordered mine from MadVapes, which is where I get almost EVERYTHING I buy for e-cig hardware, except when they run out of stock, which is common for all suppliers in this industry for some strange reason. My theory is that they are all small businesses for the most part, and they can not afford to have huge inventories yet, and the market is saturated, so no one is becoming a giant company overnight. I wonder if someone will ever have the where-with-all to become the Microsoft of the e-cig world? :D

1. Get investors
2. Buy tons of inventory at best possible prices
3. Sell everything as close to cost as feasible and corner the market
4. Utilize massive customer influx as apex of advertising capabilities

Come on MadVapes, what are you waiting for?!?!?!!? :p

You realize of course I am joking here. I actually prefer paying more to use a smaller mom & pop size business.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
Mark I just looked at the MadVapes website and don't see any XL cartos. they have:
510 E2 R4 Cartomizers
2.8-3.0 ohm, 5 pack
Part Number E2CARTO3

They also say that these cartos hold 1.3ml of liquid. My XLs hold 2ml. Although I find 1.8 to be more practical if you don't want it leaking. Are yours at least 50 ml (2 inches) long?

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
Can you fill these without asyringe? My blue tip got all gunked from my 10% vg doing exactly as in this thread. I have another tip, but I have 10 of these and all of them are working, some aren't even used yet and I'm not buying a tip a week to fill these.

Robl45, Next time you order something get a 22 guage metal needle.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
who sells the needle? I was going to go to walgreens and try to buy one, feel weird about doing that though.

Many of the online stores that sell juice also have a few DIY supplies. Check syringes and see what size and kind of they have. There is a store that sells needles separately but I can't remember which one it was. FUSA sells a 22 guage needle with a 5ml syringe.

FreedomSmokeUSA

Crimson

Verified Member
Dec 7, 2010
Alabama
I recently purchased a 60ml Injector Juice Bottle/Filler Kit from CloudsOfVapor. It's much easier than trying to use the tiny plastic tips that come with the E2 cartos. My e liquids are a VG/PG mix, heavier on the VG since I buy higher mg PG/VG mix then cut it with more VG. It's a little slow on the flow out of the needle, but far better than through a kinked plastic one. :)

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
I recently purchased a 60ml Injector Juice Bottle/Filler Kit from CloudsOfVapor. It's much easier than trying to use the tiny plastic tips that come with the E2 cartos. My e liquids are a VG/PG mix, heavier on the VG since I buy higher mg PG/VG mix then cut it with more VG. It's a little slow on the flow out of the needle, but far better than through a kinked plastic one. :)

That's interesting but how do you measure the juice. Do you just look at it to see when the carto is full. On the cartos I am using now I fill with 1.8 ml initially then refill with 1.2 ml of juice when empty. These are XL E2r4's.

Crimson

Verified Member
Dec 7, 2010
Alabama
That's interesting but how do you measure the juice. Do you just look at it to see when the carto is full. On the cartos I am using now I fill with 1.8 ml initially then refill with 1.2 ml of juice when empty. These are XL E2r4's.

I normally go by sight, since it's a slow flow if I did go over, it's rarely more than a drop or two. One thing that hadn't occurred to me until you asked, but the needle does come off of the bottle and should fit most syringes (atleast it does all the ones I have). I've just found the bottle works great for my main/all day vape liquid...

I can't wait for my order of the clear XL E2 to come in... that should take out any guesswork.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
I normally go by sight, since it's a slow flow if I did go over, it's rarely more than a drop or two. One thing that hadn't occurred to me until you asked, but the needle does come off of the bottle and should fit most syringes (atleast it does all the ones I have). I've just found the bottle works great for my main/all day vape liquid...

Since most of the needles are interchangeable. I have a long 18 gauge needle that can reach to the bottom of a 10 ml bottle without the nipple. I use this to fill a syringe, then leaving that needle in the bottle I remove the syringe from the needle and replace it with an 22 gauge metal needle and fill the cartomizer. I had a hell of a time filling needles without spilling before doing it this way. It helps to have piece of foam with a hole drilled out to hold the bottle while doing this.

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
Since most of the needles are interchangeable. I have a long 18 gauge needle that can reach to the bottom of a 10 ml bottle without the nipple. I use this to fill a syringe, then leaving that needle in the bottle I remove the syringe from the needle and replace it with an 22 gauge metal needle and fill the cartomizer. I had a hell of a time filling needles without spilling before doing it this way. It helps to have piece of foam with a hole drilled out to hold the bottle while doing this.

I remove the needle and suck the juice directly out of the bottle. The syringe fills a lot faster and it is long enough to empty a 50ml bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread