The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

14500 Li-Ion Batts 3.7?

Discussion in 'Battery Mods' started by STILLSMOK9, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. STILLSMOK9

STILLSMOK9 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Anyone know if I can find these 14500 Li-Ion Batts 3.7 for the Protege at a local retail outlet or do they have to be purchased online?

Sorry if dumb question, but, I am new to Batt Mods! :(

Thanks in advanz

2. muldrick

muldrick Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 30, 2009
    Easton, MD
    Most likely online only. I've never seen them in retail stores.

3. STILLSMOK9

Any US suppliers selling these on their online stores?

4. Casey C

Casey C Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
  5. Dave Rickey

Dave Rickey Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2009
    Austin TX
    Battery Junction is the default go-to for a US-shipping supplier of Li-Ion's, you pay a buck or so more per battery than you would getting it from China, but shave a couple of weeks off the wait.

At that link, don't get the cheaper ones unless you know what you're doing with Li-Ions, they're unprotected cells that can damage or destroy themselves, and take your device (as well as your fingers) with them.

I also recommend e-lectronics.net, they don't have as wide a product range as Battery Junction, but what they do carry is the same quality (usually the same manufacturer), usually cheaper, and they do testing on the batteries to get the real capacity instead of the inflated manufacturer rating (just because Ultrafire claims 900mAh doesn't mean their cell has more capacity than the 700mAh rated generic, in both cases the real usable capacity is going to be about 550-600mAh). Shipping isn't quite as prompt as Battery Junction, but the savings can be significant (nearly $2/cell on 14500's). If you've got a big order (20+), go to China, a small order (1-4 cells you want in a hurry) go to BJ, in between go with e-lectronics.

--Dave

EDIT: Casey, I think those are all non-rechargeable (Li-SOCl is what they're marked, not Li-Ion, Li-PO, or Li-MN)

6. STILLSMOK9

Thanks Dave!! :p

7. STILLSMOK9

Hey Dave!

Those are 3.6 instead of 3.7. Will this make a difference?

8. ApOsTle51

ApOsTle51 Moved On ECF Veteran

Aug 29, 2008
    UK
    nope :)_

9. Casey C

Aug 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    ah tru, tru, didn't look that close, in that case use dealextreme, much cheaper

DealExtreme: $5.49 TrustFire Protected 14500 3.7V 900mAh Rechargeable Lithium Batteries (2-Pack)

10. Dave Rickey

Dave Rickey Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2009
    Austin TX
  11. Kewtsquirrel

Kewtsquirrel Super Member ECF Veteran

May 21, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Lighthound.com sells the higher-quality AW brand and they're stateside - Houston, TX. Shipping is prompt and while the batteries are more expensive than the ultrafire/trustfire, they do last longer. You get what you pay for with the chinese batteries, there's a reason they're cheap.

12. Gotcoffee

Gotcoffee Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 19, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Dealextreame takes almost a month to deliver. If you are looking for a quick order I would just get the batteries and charger from Puresmoker and order a couple protected batteries from dealextreame. That way you can use it while you wait for your order from dealextreame.

13. ski

ski Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 21, 2009
    NJ, USA
    goinggear.com sells trustfire protected 14500's and they ship fast. I bought a couple here and ordered more backups from china.

14. Casey C

Aug 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    from the product review:

15. STILLSMOK9

Thanks guys!! U all rock

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.