14500 Li-Ion Batts 3.7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Rickey

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2009
Austin TX
Battery Junction is the default go-to for a US-shipping supplier of Li-Ion's, you pay a buck or so more per battery than you would getting it from China, but shave a couple of weeks off the wait.

At that link, don't get the cheaper ones unless you know what you're doing with Li-Ions, they're unprotected cells that can damage or destroy themselves, and take your device (as well as your fingers) with them.

I also recommend e-lectronics.net, they don't have as wide a product range as Battery Junction, but what they do carry is the same quality (usually the same manufacturer), usually cheaper, and they do testing on the batteries to get the real capacity instead of the inflated manufacturer rating (just because Ultrafire claims 900mAh doesn't mean their cell has more capacity than the 700mAh rated generic, in both cases the real usable capacity is going to be about 550-600mAh). Shipping isn't quite as prompt as Battery Junction, but the savings can be significant (nearly $2/cell on 14500's). If you've got a big order (20+), go to China, a small order (1-4 cells you want in a hurry) go to BJ, in between go with e-lectronics.

--Dave

EDIT: Casey, I think those are all non-rechargeable (Li-SOCl is what they're marked, not Li-Ion, Li-PO, or Li-MN)

Last edited:

STILLSMOK9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Esoteric State of America
Battery Junction is the default go-to for a US-shipping supplier of Li-Ion's, you pay a buck or so more per battery than you would getting it from China, but shave a couple of weeks off the wait.

At that link, don't get the cheaper ones unless you know what you're doing with Li-Ions, they're unprotected cells that can damage or destroy themselves, and take your device (as well as your fingers) with them.

I also recommend e-lectronics.net, they don't have as wide a product range as Battery Junction, but what they do carry is the same quality (usually the same manufacturer), usually cheaper, and they do testing on the batteries to get the real capacity instead of the inflated manufacturer rating (just because Ultrafire claims 900mAh doesn't mean their cell has more capacity than the 700mAh rated generic, in both cases the real usable capacity is going to be about 550-600mAh). Shipping isn't quite as prompt as Battery Junction, but the savings can be significant (nearly $2/cell on 14500's). If you've got a big order (20+), go to China, a small order (1-4 cells you want in a hurry) go to BJ, in between go with e-lectronics.

--Dave
Thanks Dave!! :p

STILLSMOK9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Esoteric State of America

--Dave

EDIT: Casey, I think those are all non-rechargeable (Li-SOCl is what they're marked, not Li-Ion, Li-PO, or Li-MN)
Hey Dave!

Those are 3.6 instead of 3.7. Will this make a difference?

Casey C

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
evolvers.net

--Dave

ah tru, tru, didn't look that close, in that case use dealextreme, much cheaper

DealExtreme: $5.49 TrustFire Protected 14500 3.7V 900mAh Rechargeable Lithium Batteries (2-Pack)

Dave Rickey

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2009
Austin TX

Casey C

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
evolvers.net
If you go to DX, always look for alternative SKU's: Trustfire Protected 14500 2-Pack (blue wrap): $4.75. Same battery, not as pretty.

--Dave

from the product review:

dealextreme sells multiple Trust Fire 14500 batteries that have the PCB. However, they cost different amounts. I could never figure out the differences between the various models.
So, I bought two different models: sku 19626 ($4.75) and sku 03435 ($5.64). They look perfectly identical to my eye. The text on the battery is letter for letter the same. BUT, the cheaper one (19626) is wider by a very small amount (maybe 1/4 mm). This is just enough that it is a tight fit for my Akoray LED flashlight and is a little bit of a pain to remove.
I'm much more happy with sku 03435.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread