Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryInTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
NE Texas, USA
Because of TFA apples I started every apple at 10%. I have an Inawera Bahraini Apple Gold tester at 10%, LOL. I either need to dump it or do some math to figure it down to 1%-2%.

I've got my Bahraini Apple at 2% and it's pretty flavorful there. 10% would be too over flavored for me. It's a very tasty flavor.

GaryInTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
NE Texas, USA
The flavor level varies for me quite a bit from different manufacturers. I average
Flavor West @12-15%
Inawera @2-4%
Hangsen @5-7%
Flavour Art @5-6%
WonderFlavor super concentrate @3-4%
When I get above those levels it may taste good for a short period but seems to get cloying to me.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I think I'm overdoing it at 20% based on what I'm hearing.

I started using TFA flavors at around 20%. After 3 years I'm down to around 10% now. I also went from recipes with 6 or more flavors to using 2 or 3. Maybe taste buds change over time as you get further away from smoking. Who knows. Try different levels and whatever you like best is the way to go.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
IMO 20% is way to high! I started out with higher % recipes, but over the years, I found lower % made better juices :) Cleaner wicks & coils :) Just cause you use a higher % Don't mean you will get a more flavourful juice! A lot of times, it's exactly the opposite.
Now as rule of thumb I never go over 10%, I make recipes as low a 4%.
IMO my juices are way better now than they ever have been :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Flavors within a particular manufacturer's line are generally similar, but you'll find particular flavors that deviate from the norm within most any diy flavor company's line. I just use a search engine and look for posts with lists of flavors by vendor. I've saved text files from those lists by manufacturer for future reference.

Many flavor sellers provide starting percentages in the description for that flavor. The comments by users on a particular flavor page are also a good reference.

Google HIC's notes for Flavouart (FA).

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I think I'm overdoing it at 20% based on what I'm hearing.
I like to add as much flavor as I think the mix needs. If it's way too strong, I cut it with drops of PG/VG. I find It is much easier to cut a strong mix than add a multitude of flavors back into a mix and re steep. As to the nic, for me not a problem. Where is it written: I will only be satisfied with 3,6 etc. mg only spot on while vaping?
I'm building, though I do use an RTA. Been thinking about getting an RDA simply since I am mixing now though. Good advice.
I highly recommend an RDA, (their dirt cheap, everyone should have at least one 2 post like the Magma).
Might like to read:
Drip Vaping: Your Guide to Dripping e-Juice | Vape-Resource.com
http://spinfuel.com/art-drip-guide-vaping/
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
Atomizer vs. Cartomizer vs. Clearomizer. The Ultimate Guide
Started off with mostly TFA / TPA (depending on what you call it) because they are less expensive. But I'm finding I like CAP quite a lot.
TFA,CA,FA,LA are great buys depending on the flavor. Since you are new, it may be a good idea to stick with these and make your mistakes cheaply. I found after a the first few years, I got to know which flavors were worth the most money.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well the only way for you to know if you'll like a 15% is to mix it, and start small or be willing to flavor up if necessary.

I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying lower percentages, especially if you started out high... I mean, coming from storebought many people do err on the high side, I've found most of my mixes to kind of even out at about 8--10% and that's my particular flavor wheelhouse (and I use many different manufacturers in a mix and do pay SOME attention to if they are strong or weak flavors, but about 10% overall is just my happy place. Etc.

Good luck.

Anna

Reactions: MacTechVpr

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I rarely go over 10% on flavor. Too much flavor is a taste bud killer for me. It does of course depend on the flavor as some are stronger than others. You should always experiment with flavor percent to see what works best for you. Even if you are mixing multiple flavors it is good to try each flavor out separately starting around 5% just to see what that flavor actually tastes like.

Percentage of flavor also is very dependent on what you are vaping it in. Less flavor used with tanks that produce higher vapor level.

Reactions: stols001

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
I personally started mixing 2-2.5 years ago and did use some at 15% I’ve cut down quite a bit over the time I’ve been mixing, I save a lot on concentrates, if you like TFA flavors and want to keep mixing at high percentages I’d go directly to the TFA website and sign up for the wholesale account. A lot of my juices are made with tfa mainly because I go through so much juice and with the wholesale account you can get 16oz (near 500ml) bottles of most flavors in the $7-$10 range some are more expensive but my ADV is a blueberry vanilla custard I made and I make it in 400ml bottles at a time so I go through flavorings quick.

It’s not for everybody because you may like other flavorings better I just found it works for me, I do buy a few other flavors from other than TFA but I make it work. I’ve heard sweetener is what a lot of the big companies use in high amounts because it enhances the sweetness and the fullness of the flavors, I tend to stay under 1% for sweetener.

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
Hopefully this pic shows up but is my order that showed up today this cost 60 bucks , big bottles are 16oz (near 500ml) small bottles are 4oz (120ml)

Other order will be here next week I decided to get more lol

I make big batches so I use a lot of flavorings that’s the reason I buy the TFA wholesale sizes I can’t find any other deals on flavorings that beat this, and this is the normal wholesale price

Attachments

• 12F81FEF-ED3E-4497-9740-AFECA8EA1F78.jpeg
    12F81FEF-ED3E-4497-9740-AFECA8EA1F78.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
big bottles are 16oz (near 500ml) small bottles are 4oz (120ml)
O
M

G!!!

Looks like you're a cheesecake/custard fan. :)

Good heavens, man! How much e-liquid do you vape a day?

Your 4, and 16 ounce bottles equate to 52oz., or 1537.822mL total flavoring concentrate. I know you mentioned you have reduced your total flavor percentage over time (I have no idea what you are mixing at now). But, for the sake of discussion, if you were still mixing at 15% total flavoring... that is 10,252.66mL/10.83 quarts (US)/2.71 gallons(US) of finished e-liquid. Or, in other words, 341.76mL bottles.

If you are mixing lower than 15% total flavoring; then it is even more.

I am no cloud chaser; only a tootle puffer (I'm strictly a flavor chaser). My e-liquid consumption is less that 3 mL a day. Even at a full 3mL/day; it would take me 9.36 years to vape all that!

I really don't know what else to say, other than "good on ya!"
:toast:

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-8_1-2-59.png
    upload_2018-8-8_1-2-59.png
    190.3 KB · Views: 5

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
O
M

G!!!

Looks like you're a cheesecake/custard fan. :)

Good heavens, man! How much e-liquid do you vape a day?

Your 4, and 16 ounce bottles equate to 52oz., or 1537.822mL total flavoring concentrate. I know you mentioned you have reduced your total flavor percentage over time (I have no idea what you are mixing at now). But, for the sake of discussion, if you were still mixing at 15% total flavoring... that is 10,252.66mL/10.83 quarts (US)/2.71 gallons(US) of finished e-liquid. Or, in other words, 341.76mL bottles.

If you are mixing lower than 15% total flavoring; then it is even more.

I am no cloud chaser; only a tootle puffer (I'm strictly a flavor chaser). My e-liquid consumption is less that 3 mL a day. Even at a full 3mL/day; it would take me 9.36 years to vape all that!

I really don't know what else to say, other than "good on ya!"
:toast:
Main flavors In Mixes are around 5-8% and accent tones are in the 1-2% range, for example my recipe I made for blueberry vanilla custard has 10ml of vanilla custard and 12ml of blueberry extra per the 400ml bottle I made, most flavors where 2-3ml

Other order is on the way mostly 4oz bottles of stuff like whipped cream and sweet cream and some new flavors I’ve never tried before at are 15ml bottles

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I started using TFA flavors at around 20%. After 3 years I'm down to around 10% now. I also went from recipes with 6 or more flavors to using 2 or 3. Maybe taste buds change over time as you get further away from smoking. Who knows.

I definitely agree with the part I underlined above. When I first started DIY, not long after quitting the smokes...I used to make Bill's Magic Vapor recipes, with each TFA flavoring % as he had written it in the recipe. They usually had 16-27% total flavoring in each recipe. I loved them!

After about 6-8 months of doing DIY, my sense of taste had improved. Since then, when I make his recipes...I cut each flavoring % in 1/2. They're still just as wonderful and very flavorful to me. :)

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
I definitely agree with the part I underlined above. When I first started DIY, not long after quitting the smokes...I used to make Bill's Magic Vapor recipes, with each TFA flavoring % as he had written it in the recipe. They usually had 16-27% total flavoring in each recipe. I loved them!

After about 6-8 months of doing DIY, my sense of taste had improved. Since then, when I make his recipes...I cut each flavoring % in 1/2. They're still just as wonderful and very flavorful to me. :)

I agree I use near half what my original recipes where, only time I use high percentages is when I am trying someone else’s recipe and then I alter it, do some tests and if I like it I’ll make a big bottle

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
This for example is my banana cream pie recipe I’ve been working in since last year

Numbers are
ML
DROPS
PRECENT

Nicotine is for 3mg

The Sweet cream is now switched from Capellas to TFA

Nicotine juice 100 mg (100% VG)

PG dilutant

VG dilutant

Total base

Banana Cream (TPA)

Cheesecake (Graham Crust) (TPA)

Graham Cracker (TPA)

Sweet Cream (CAP)

Sweetener (Sucralose/Maltol) (TPA)

Whipped Cream (TPA)

Totals

I love this mix got a 60ml with me at work right now

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
Kinda funny side bit, came into work and one of my employees brought in a mod and had just quit smoking and switched to vaping completely, he’s vaped here and there for awhile, he just bought a 30 mil of a house mixed banana custard, I gave him a bit of my banana cream pie, he just about died and asked if he could start buying juice off me lol, said it was better than the stores mix

And before work I got an ad on here for the freemax mesh pro, watched the review and just bought one at the local mountain oak vapors on the way in haha, bought the triple coil too gunna fill it up in a bit and try a rip

Last edited:

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
Congratulations and I guess patience pays off. I can't imagine working on a mix for a year, but well, it sounds like it's working. LOL.

Anna
Thank you, yeah that one was a year, the blueberry vanilla custard I’ve been tweaking for the past 2 years I’ve got it pretty much set where I want it now I’ll pass out a few small bottles and see what others think, I brought down the % on a bunch of the flavors but that’s what I found I like I wanna see what others think just for some constructive criticism. They’ll have to wait at least a month though as it’s a fresh batch and it needs at least a 3 week steep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread