16 Sep 14: Memo to public health grandees: vaping, vapers and you (by Clive Bates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Memo to public health grandees: vaping, vapers and you (by Clive Bates)

- recommended reading! Especially for those who wonder why e-cigarette users can be quite militant - all we want is to live our lives. Is that too much to ask?
(Background story: some so-called "public health" self-appointed "expert" was suspended from his job after calling vapers disgusting and nasty words on Twitter)

Memo to public health grandees: vaping, vapers and you « The counterfactual

Many vapers are passionate about their experience: they have escaped the death trap of smoking – or are heading that way – and having feelings of pride, empowerment, agency and control, as well as immediate welfare and economic benefits, and a much better long term health prognosis. They want others to benefit from the experience and they really don’t want you to take it all away through clumsy or excessive regulation based on poor science, comprehensive misunderstanding or for ideological reasons. And they don’t want to be collateral damage in your war on Big tobacco, which is of little relevance to them.

.. the whole text makes excellent reading.

And I love sharing this on social media - also with my non-smoking non-vaping contacts.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
I'll say one thing about Ashtongate: It's given us the perfect opportunity to respond to those in "public health" who hold us in such contempt. Here's another blogger who's up to the challenge: A Further Message to Public Health Professionals | Revelations Of A Steam-Powered Human

Very nice. The language could've been tougher, though: :p

«join with us, help us, or be relegated to the ridicule we the public reserve for child molesters and those who talk in the theater»

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'll say one thing about Ashtongate: It's given us the perfect opportunity to respond to those in "public health" who hold us in such contempt. Here's another blogger who's up to the challenge: A Further Message to Public Health Professionals | Revelations Of A Steam-Powered Human
Two thumbs up for that one!!
:thumbs:

It seems as though we are growing in "sidestream" media presence, and our voice is becoming more and more evident.
And of course, when I say this, I am not referring to YouTube idiots with hand towels.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Very nice. The language could've been tougher, though: :p

«join with us, help us, or be relegated to the ridicule we the public reserve for child molesters and those who talk in the theater»

I agree; they should be relegated to unemployment.

Andria

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
I understand that the vast majority of vapers don't realize this yet, but it's time to go into attack mode.
Actually, it's a little past time, but better late than never.

I agree. And I think some of that is already happening with high-profile publications such the McNeill critique of WHO or the Sarewitz commentary. Until now, all vape-positive publications were simply declarative, and did not directly debunk prohibitionist junk science and propaganda.

That being said, I'd like to see much more involvement and PR effort from vapers and supporting groups. I remain baffled by the lack of involvement from millions of vapers in the recent FDA deeming comment efforts, as well as to prohibitionist legislative initiatives at the local level. In contrast, ANTZ and their supporting groups never stop proselytizing, as evidenced by recent legislative initiatives.

I think it's time we learned a lesson from our well-versed (albeit misguided) opponents, and focused individual efforts on lobbying local health departments, city, county, and state representatives, as well as Congress and federal agencies (such as DHHS).

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I agree. And I think some of that is already happening with high-profile publications such the McNeill critique of WHO or the Sarewitz commentary. Until now, all vape-positive publications were simply declarative, and did not directly debunk prohibitionist junk science and propaganda.

That being said, I'd like to see much more involvement and PR effort from vapers and supporting groups. I remain baffled by the lack of involvement from millions of vapers in the recent FDA deeming comment efforts, as well as to prohibitionist legislative initiatives at the local level. In contrast, ANTZ and their supporting groups never stop proselytizing, as evidenced by recent legislative initiatives.

I think it's time we learned a lesson from our well-versed (albeit misguided) opponents, and focused individual efforts on lobbying local health departments, city, county, and state representatives, as well as Congress and federal agencies (such as DHHS).
Couldn't agree more.

But they, as a group, seem to be more motivated than we do.
And that continues to astound me.

They are trying to protect their income stream, and their dogma.
And we are trying to save our lives.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Wow. I mean just wow.

I was floored by Clive's article.

But I was doubly floored reading the comments. Wound up reading every single one. Articulate, on-point, intelligent, each and every one.

Wake up "Public Health" - these are the {MODERATED} you have derided. These are the people you will be dealing with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
Two thumbs up for that one!!
:thumbs:

It seems as though we are growing in "sidestream" media presence, and our voice is becoming more and more evident.
And of course, when I say this, I am not referring to YouTube idiots with hand towels.
Don't know how I missed this post..but I'm seriously laughing out loud over here! :lol:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I am a bit upset.

This is an incredible post from Clive, and the comments to the post are incredible.

And yet this thread is buried, under the "new posts" by, well, look for yourself.

This is important. Please make it one of those things (like the "Calls to action") that shows up at the top whenever anybody visits.

I ask because it is important to ME. I spend a lot of time on ECF, and I work hard on it because it is important.

I beg ECF to return the favor. It goes much further than Clive's blog (read the comments!), and it is critically important to all vapers, whether they are in the UK, the US, SG, or anywhere else.

Or maybe not. Perhaps the debate about clones is more important. Certainly gets more participation.

THIS is important, and despite my love for ECF, I'm strongly tempted to BUMP(10chars) until I get my account cancelled. It means that much to me.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I am a bit upset.

This is an incredible post from Clive, and the comments to the post are incredible.

And yet this thread is buried, under the "new posts" by, well, look for yourself.

This is important. Please make it one of those things (like the "Calls to action") that shows up at the top whenever anybody visits.

I ask because it is important to ME. I spend a lot of time on ECF, and I work hard on it because it is important.

I beg ECF to return the favor. It goes much further than Clive's blog (read the comments!), and it is critically important to all vapers, whether they are in the UK, the US, SG, or anywhere else.

Or maybe not. Perhaps the debate about clones is more important. Certainly gets more participation.

THIS is important, and despite my love for ECF, I'm strongly tempted to BUMP(10chars) until I get my account cancelled. It means that much to me.

I agree; I had no idea this particular thread had fallen so low, since I usually look at "My Posts" where it's still very prominent. I tweeted the blog post page, does that help any? :D Think I FB-Liked it too.

I thought he really nailed it -- I've been following him for a while now, but twitter is so dang busy, it's hard to keep up.

Andria

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts

- recommended reading! Especially for those who wonder why e-cigarette users can be quite militant - all we want is to live our lives. Is that too much to ask?
(Background story: some so-called "public health" self-appointed "expert" was suspended from his job after calling vapers disgusting and nasty words on Twitter)

And I love sharing this on social media - also with my non-smoking non-vaping contacts.

Pin this TTT

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina

Pined to Facebook and Re-Tweeted. Thnx Anja! ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread