18350/kick much sugestgions

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
I know Im probably dating myself here, but Im looking for sugetions on a mech mod that will accept a kick module in either 18500 or 18350 mode. I plan on using it for higher ohm builds with an rta, and simply don't trust rta's on mechs due to past experiences with them shorting out randomly on my regulated mods. I am aware that the nemesis comes with a kick ring and have a couple of nemesis clones, but I'm interested in what other options are avalible.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Does Evolv even still make the Kick?

If I remember correctly, Evolv recommended using a Kick module with no battery smaller than an 18490/18500. Evolv's website should have that information.

My only experience with a Kick was with the AltSmoke Silver Bullet, an 18650 mech by default. You could use an 18490/18500 battery along with a Kick. AltSmoke sold an accessory Kick sleeve to be able to use an 18650 and a Kick. Unfortunately, AltSmoke no longer makes the SB; but I would imagine some are sold used on the classified section here on ECF.

If you're getting a Kick for its protection circuitry, know that it did not have reverse battery protection. Putting your battery in backwards would fry the Kick's circuitry.

Perhaps a better option would be a Bug Safety Fuse by Atmizoo - MyVaporStore.

Last edited:

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
If I remember correctly, Evolv recommended using a Kick module with no battery smaller than an 18490/18500. Evolv's website should have that information.

My only experience with a Kick was with the AltSmoke Silver Bullet, an 18650 mech by default. You could use an 18490/18500 battery along with a Kick. AltSmoke sold an accessory Kick sleeve to be able to use an 18650 and a Kick. Unfortunately, AltSmoke no longer makes the SB; but I would imagine some are sold used on the classified section here on ECF.

This. ^^^

Pretty sure an 18490 or 18500 with a kick will work with any 18650 mech mod, as I recall. The Nemesis kick ring allows you to use an 18650 with a kick module.

• Useful
Reactions: Baditude

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
an 18650 mod will fit 18500 with kick

an 18500 mech will fit 18350 with kick

from memory. But why not just buy a tube regulated mod? they are quite small now
It's more just in case mods become less avalible sometime in the near future. You just about can't mess up a mech, and kicks cost about $6 on fasttech, I can grab a handful of kicks for the price of one regulated mod and be good for years.

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
Does Evolv even still make the Kick?

If you're getting a Kick for its protection circuitry, know that it did not have reverse battery protection. Putting your battery in backwards would fry the Kick's circuitry.

Perhaps a better option would be a Bug Safety Fuse by Atmizoo - MyVaporStore.

I don't know about the evolv version but fasttech has Sigelei kicks. I hadn't seen anything about using batteries smaller than 18500.

I was planning on using it not only for protection, but also because as I understand it wattage to the coil doesn't decrease as the battery drains when using a kick. I figure either way their cheap enough to order one and find out if I like it or not.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It's more just in case mods become less avalible sometime in the near future. You just about can't mess up a mech, and kicks cost about $6 on fasttech, I can grab a handful of kicks for the price of one regulated mod and be good for years.
I'm not so sure about this strategy. The Kick modules were pretty fragile, and they had to be removed from the mod with each battery change. All that physical handling and wear/tear eventually results in a broken or dead Kick. I seriously doubt that Sigelei or SMOK Kicks are any more durable or better made.

b8631fc57a46d0fa00b589d7980062b5.jpg

I don't know about the evolv version but fasttech has Sigelei kicks. I hadn't seen anything about using batteries smaller than 18500.

I was planning on using it not only for protection, but also because as I understand it wattage to the coil doesn't decrease as the battery drains when using a kick. I figure either way their cheap enough to order one and find out if I like it or not.
Yes, the Kick was a wattage regulator (variable wattage) just like regulated mods use. Try one out and see if it will meet your expectations. I still think that the Bug Safety Fuse would be money well spent.

Bug-1-1-e1490704228166.jpg

Description
Based around a resettable PTC element, the Bug is a high-amp short-circuit protection module that adds dependable safety to mechanical mods.

Designed and manufactured by Atmizone, the Bug houses a carefully-selected, high-amp, resettable polymeric fuse. These fuses do not ‘burn’ like the traditional ones – they use a polymeric element that interrupts the circuit during an over-current condition. The resistance of such an element is dependent on the current and temperature — a short-circuit quickly brings the fuse to a high-resistance state. When the fault is removed, the device cools down fast and reverts back to its low-resistance state.

The Bug is rated for operation up to 7 A at 40 degrees Celsius and has been designed to trip in about a couple hundred milliseconds when hard-shorting a low-resistance mod powered by a high quality IMR battery. The device will also trip within a few seconds when conducting currents above 8 A.

Thanks to its compact size (D=18.3mm, L=~5mm) and no polarity requirements, the Bug can be used with all telescopic mods and quite a few fixed-length mods with extra tube space.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I hadn't seen anything about using batteries smaller than 18500.

OK, I had some free time to refresh my memory. Turns out that I was WRONG. You can use an 18350 battery with a Kick in an 18500 mechanical mod, as long as it is an IMR battery.

"The Kick may also be used with 18500 metal tube mods with an IMR 18350 battery." -- How to Use the Kick
_________

I'll just remind you that the same rules apply for coil resistance and battery amp limits. Know the amp limit of the 18350 battery you will be using.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations for a Mechanical Mod

18350 Test Results

Last edited:

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
Thanks for all the info, it's been quite a few years since I've used any 18350 batteries. I see there are a few in your list that seem to be a bit better or equal to the efast batteries I used in my nemesis years ago.

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread