18500 3.2v LiFePO4 - Will it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beano52

Jan 2, 2014
United States
I just saw some 18500 600mah 3.2v Lithium Phosphate batteries. Would these work in a telescoping mod with a 1.0 amp coil? Anything I should watch out for like no sub ohming, battery heating, explosions etc.? Not looking to hear "you won't get the best performance" or "so and so is better". I just am wondering will these work in a medium performance level.

If someone could explain the math or point me to a good place to learn the math, I would also appreciate that !

Looking for lots of educated opinions! Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
If you plan to use them in a regulated mod you probably won't have much success. The low voltage cut-off would read your LiFe batteries as "empty Li-Ion" batteries based on the voltage.

As for discharge rating. Ideally they should have a C rating on them somewhere. Multiply this with the batteries' capacity and you should know what kind of discharge they can handle. I.e a 800mah battery with a 5C discharge should be able to handle 800 x 5 = 4000 mah = 4 amp discharge.

Can't help but say you're better off with IMR batteries both in regards to voltage and capacity, but you didn't want that answer ;)

This site has a LOT of very useful battery info.

Types of Lithium-ion Batteries

Edit: Also keep in mind that you would need a charger that handles LiFe batteries. It's not adviced to use a standard-issue Li-Ion charger as they charge well beyond the capabilities of LiFe batteries in terms of voltage. While a LiFe battery most likely won't blow up, I wouldn't risk it. Not good for your battery anyway.

gofastman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2013
MN
Lithium iron phosphate batteries are the safest thing out there right now, more so than lithium manganese (IMR) they also have an almost perfectly flat discharge curve. What was said above holds true however, make sure you get the right C rating. Their primary draw back is their lower voltage, if you are at 3.2volts you will only be running around 10 watts at 1 ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread