18650 advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJvape

Jul 10, 2017
Hi all, I'm relatively new to the vaping scene. I had an aspire zelos with nautilus 2 tank as my first Vape, as I'm off work at the moment have strapped for cash. I brought a eleaf istick 200w tc with 3 avatar 2000mah 18650's on offer from eleaf uk

My question is regarding the batteries, I pass through charged then to begin with then I bought two cheap dual battery chargers from china, one of them works ok, it takes ages to fully charge my batteries, 6-7 hours at 650ma. The other one dosent like my flat top batteries, I was thinking of using a bit of tin foil to act as a 'nipple'. Would this be ok?

I have ordered a nitecore i4 2017 arriving tomorrow.

Should I just keep pass through charging until tomorrow or use the tin foil method?

Both seem risky, bit what one is worth the risk?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Here is some information on your batteries,
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/index.php?threads/756463/
I would advise getting the Samsung 25r instead,
As far as pass through charging I would do that before using a cheap charger and definitely wouldn't use foil in between the contacts,
Wait until you get the Nitecore,
Hth

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

akksnv

Jan 17, 2016
I'm by no means a battery expert, but I think it's safe to say you do NOT want to mess with batteries in general, especially with the process of charging them (i.e. don't try the foil).

To maybe put it in perspective, you're already questioning whether or not to use foil, but there are already a few things you are doing that should be avoided.

"Best practice" is to use a dedicated charger, and not rely on your mod for charging. Given you're waiting on an external charger, though, it sounds like you're on the right track.

WORST PRACTICE is buying not only cheap batteries, but cheap batteries from China. You do not want budget batteries from Amazon or eBay, so you definitely don't want cheap batteries from China. You want GOOD batteries from a GOOD company. I don't like spending money and make my own juice and coils partially because it's cheaper, but even I don't go cheap on batteries. Batteries have the potential to be very dangerous, it's well worth an extra $5 (or whatever) per battery for good ones (ex. you can get two Samsung 25Rs for $10-$20).

Sorry if I wasn't much help to your real questions, but I felt like this was a much more important point to get across. Also, I don't mean to come off as an ......., so please don't take it this way, I just wanted to be very clear since this could be very dangerous and you said you were relatively new to vaping. Welcome to the world of vaping :) it's a pretty friendly community around here, and no one wants to see anyone else doing dangerous things simply because they were uninformed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

SJvape

Jul 10, 2017
Thanks for your answers guys, I will leave the crappy Chinese chargers and file then in the rubbish tip, I'll stick to pass though charging until I get my nitecore. Once payday has hit, I'll buy some decent batteries, those batteries I mentioned earlier came with the mod , I didn't get the option to choose.

Again, thank you for preventing a disaster [emoji3][emoji3][emoji106]

akksnv

Jan 17, 2016
Thanks for your answers guys, I will leave the crappy Chinese chargers and file then in the rubbish tip, I'll stick to pass though charging until I get my nitecore. Once payday has hit, I'll buy some decent batteries, those batteries I mentioned earlier came with the mod , I didn't get the option to choose.

No problem, glad we could help. Thank you for just so happening to include those little bits of extra information :)

akksnv

Jan 17, 2016
Also, on a less critical note (in your case), in addition to having good batteries, you also want to be sure you have the right batteries (ex. 15A, 20A, 30A). Given your current setup, you probably have nothing to worry about right now, but keep this in mind for future reference if you get a new tank, experiment with sub-ohm coils, etc. The batteries section of this forum has more than enough information on this topic :) and Mooch, unlike myself, IS what I would consider a battery expert.

This information is as much for you as it is for anyone else that might stumble across this post in the future :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hi all, I'm relatively new to the vaping scene. I had an aspire zelos with nautilus 2 tank as my first Vape, as I'm off work at the moment have strapped for cash. I brought a eleaf istick 200w tc with 3 avatar 2000mah 18650's on offer from eleaf uk

My question is regarding the batteries, I pass through charged then to begin with then I bought two cheap dual battery chargers from china, one of them works ok, it takes ages to fully charge my batteries, 6-7 hours at 650ma. The other one dosent like my flat top batteries, I was thinking of using a bit of tin foil to act as a 'nipple'. Would this be ok?

I have ordered a nitecore i4 2017 arriving tomorrow.

Should I just keep pass through charging until tomorrow or use the tin foil method?

Both seem risky, bit what one is worth the risk?

The Nitecore i4 will charge four 18650's at .375A and two 18650's at 1A. So, 4 batts will charge slowly and 2 batts will charge quickly. The charger will step down to .375A charging rate if all four bays are filled. With one 18650 charging it will charge at the 1.5A rate.

You might want to look at a charger that will do 1A charge with all four bays filled. The Efest LUC 4 will do that and there are others that will charge all four bays at 1A. Doubling the charge current cuts charge time in half.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm glad you asked this question. Pass through charging isn't the greatest but it's better than a cheap battery charger and tinfoil, oy. :) Batteries are one of those things easy to overlook especially if manufacturers and vape shops are now selling them as "included." I think some shops know what they are doing, while others may be genuinely ill-informed. I have found IMR batteries has decent prices, as a vendor.

Good luck!

Anna

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA

I agree totally about not settling for cheap batteries. The 2 things you don't want to get by budget pricing is the mod and the batteries. More importantly the batteries. I will use clone mods and never had a problem but don't get cheap cells.

Before I went to 3s and 4s lipo batteries I used 18650's and always found the cheapest place for authentic cells would be Liion Wholesale Batteries | Li-ion battery distributor. They have the cheapest batteries by far and a lot of vapers use them to get their cells. They are a company that ONLY sells authentic cells.

Get your Samsung 25r's here Samsung INR18650-25R Battery Genuine & Tested - 20A (100A pulse) 2500mAh - Flat Top - Wholesale Discount.

Here is another cell that I would recommend is the Sony VTC5A. Here is a link to those. Sony VTC5A 2500mAh 30A-35A Battery Genuine & Tested - Flat Top - Wholesale Discount.

Hope this helps and welcome to ECF and the world of vaping. If you EVER have any questions or concerns, post it here on ECF and we will be more than happy to help you out and give you our opinions or answers to your questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/URL]

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
IDK, I always used IMR batteries because (although I was not offered this option, this time) b/c they used to distribute through Amazon and I could use my prime account to defray shipping costs. Also, they have the best customer service. My last order, I accidentally loaded myself up with the wrong battery, and customer service was the best as far as canceling my order, then I managed to use paypal and hadn't updated my new address, and did not realize until it was too late... They refunded everything, including my shipping charges, which they TOTALLY did not have to do.

I think I finally got it right this time :lol::lol:. There was a space for order comments, and I put that in there, as well as a "thank you for working with me message." I guess I'm dumb about some stuff, but not batteries, thanks to my own kiddo's extreme cautionary lectures on the subject. The kid knows me, he checks the state of my batteries and my coil heads any chance he gets, when I was dual using I couldn't really "taste" burnt coils, and I was always getting a horrified look from the kid and a, "Mom! Look at this! You are inhaling that into your LUNGS!" lecture. LOL. Me: "My juice tastes fine." Him: No. It does not." Etc.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread