The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

18650 Battery and Iphone 5 charger?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by profector, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. profector

profector Full Member Verified Member

So I have a few 18650 batteries. They are the red AW IMR 18650 2000mah batteries, and also a couple 18350. I'm going on a trip where I'll be without power for long periods of time and need to keep my phone charged too. Since I have more than enough batteries to keep me vaping I was hoping to use them to charge my phone too. Has anyone tried to use their batteries to charge their phones? I've seen a few devices on Amazon and eBay, but wasn't sure if I could use my batteries.

Here's link to a couple of the chargers if anyone is interest.

Amazon.com: 2600mAh Portable Red External Power Bank Battery Charger For iPhone5 4S 4 3GS i9300: Cell Phones & Accessories

Aluminum Dual USB 5V 1A 1 5A Power Bank 18650 Battery Charger DIY Box for iPhone | eBay

2. BillyWJ

BillyWJ Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 22, 2013
    usa
    I just use my MVP. :) I've used it to charge my iPhone and iPad on the road.

3. profector

I don't think I could use my VAMO for that, but it would be nice if I could in the crunch.

4. John_

John_ Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I think an 18650 powered usb power bank would be your best bet unless you are going to buy a power bank with it's own battery. Maybe a solar charger?

5. yzer

yzer Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2011
    Northern California
  6. burtonsnowww

burtonsnowww Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    they work good but 2600 mah is not going to get you too far, they sell 12000 mah ones that will keep you going alot longer

7. profector

Solar powered would work if I could fit in the wife's purse :) I might give the Amazon one a try and see if it lets me swap out batteries. Worse case it doesn't and I have limit myself to one charge.

8. ctkid57

ctkid57 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 30, 2013
    Pine Bluff
    Sigelei Legend has a pass thru to charge your phones. A MVP can charge your phones also.

9. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    or this for the phone?

So, you will have mobile coverage, your wife will need her purse, but you won't have mains power or a vehicle? Will you be getting wet? Any other extremes?

Good luck
    I

10. ctkid57

Dec 30, 2013
    Pine Bluff
    What about something like this?

http://www.shoebuy.com/datexx-superbattery-with-ac-or-crank-generator/546027/1140556?cm_mmc=googleproductads_pla-_-none-_-none-_-{keyword}

11. ctkid57

Dec 30, 2013
    Pine Bluff
  12. John_

John_ Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

This has a separate battery from the phone. It wouldn't help at all.

13. WattWick

WattWick Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
    Cold Norway
    Got one from Fasttech. The have a few different ones. Works well to charge my phone and mp3-player. I have not used it for prolonged off-grid stuff, and it's only seen mixed use. Never completely drained. So, cant attest to how long you can expect to keep your phone going.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1421/10002784/1381305

14. profector

That's exactly what I was looking for but it I don't think it would get here in time :( We leave in 10 days.

15. Mohamed

Mohamed Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 15, 2013
    USA
    I know you asked for something that used your 18650 batteries but thought I'd throw out another powerbank option

JIB LH20000 "20000mAh" Portable External Backup Battery Power Bank with LED Illumination

I don't think it's really 20,000 mah but get quite a few chargers out of it on my Galaxy S4. I also used a passthrough with battery with it as well. If you got one plugged in its 2.0 amp if you got two things plugged in they both drop down to 1.0 amp I believe.

Ohh and it's roughly the same size as my Galaxy S4 phone so it would be like your wife caring an extra phone although a bit bigger.

16. Mohamed

Mohamed Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 15, 2013
    USA
    lol I doubt it ;)

17. profector

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.