Status
Not open for further replies.

bgoracy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
New Hampshire
Hello All,

Does anyone know which 18650 battery would last the longest when vaping at 13 watts? I have listed some below but any not listed recommendations are welcome as well.
(PS please don't respond with battery safety information or suggestions for me to look at mooch ratings)
Also, does anyone know if the vendors in the last 3 below links are reliable?

Thanks!

Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh 10A

AW Protected 18650 3400 mAh
https://www.18650batterystore.com/S...MIwfy8lvqV6QIVCIbICh3v-wUOEAQYASABEgKcV_D_BwE
Samsung 35E 18650 3500mAh 8A Battery - INR18650-35E

Sony VC7 18650 Unprotected Li-ion Battery

18650 Battery 3500mAh Protected Li-ion 3.7V Rechargeable Orbtronic 10A Dual Protection (Panasonic-Sanyo inside) ORB3500P For High Performance Flashlights

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, if YOU are unwilling to look at Mooch's blog and then tell us not to reference it I am going to recommend that you buy 500 of the protected batteries and "vape" with them. They will be best for not BLOWING you up so GO FOR IT I say even if you have to scavenge off Ebay and well, enjoy your protected, counterfeit rewrapped efests. But you won't go BOOM.

Come on now. The only rational reason to this post is like, you would like us to give you the "least dangerous" battery that is still dangerous.

So there you go. Have fun.

I'm sorry but JESUS.

Anna

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Hello All,

Does anyone know which 18650 battery would last the longest when vaping at 13 watts? I have listed some below but any not listed recommendations are welcome as well.
(PS please don't respond with battery safety information or suggestions for me to look at mooch ratings)
Also, does anyone know if the vendors in the last 3 below links are reliable?

Thanks!

Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh 10A

AW Protected 18650 3400 mAh
Samsung 35E 18650 3500mAh 8A Battery - INR18650-35E

Sony VC7 18650 Unprotected Li-ion Battery

18650 Battery 3500mAh Protected Li-ion 3.7V Rechargeable Orbtronic 10A Dual Protection (Panasonic-Sanyo inside) ORB3500P For High Performance Flashlights

That link to Orbtronic battery (last one), if you scroll down it says:
"Important:
Vape mod (e-cig) users - this protected 18650 battery is made for LED flashlights only. Not for e-cig devices."

bgoracy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
New Hampshire
Well, if YOU are unwilling to look at Mooch's blog and then tell us not to reference it I am going to recommend that you buy 500 of the protected batteries and "vape" with them. They will be best for not BLOWING you up so GO FOR IT I say even if you have to scavenge off Ebay and well, enjoy your protected, counterfeit rewrapped efests. But you won't go BOOM.

Come on now. The only rational reason to this post is like, you would like us to give you the "least dangerous" battery that is still dangerous.

So there you go. Have fun.

I'm sorry but JESUS.

Anna
You can't use a protected battery at 13 watts? My evic primo shows about 2.7amps when firing. I would never buy batteries from any vendor that is not recommended, hence my question above.

• Creative
Reactions: stols001

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Hi, where can I find that info? Didn't even know batteries were protected and unprotected...
    Protected batteries use a more volatile chemistry and many are too long due to the "protection" circuit.
    @Mooch can explain better than I.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Any chemistry can be used. A protected battery has a circuit or fuse attached to the positive end of the cell. This increases the length of the cell which makes fitting into a vape device problematic. The circuit or fuse will increase the internal resistance, therefore decrease the watt hours of the battery. They are also limited to 10 amps or less.

@bgoracy – on the topic of batteries it is difficult to NOT reference Mooch. This is not just due to battery safety but due to his years of experience, skill sets and testing methodology. If you care to read his blogs, and watch his videos you will learn that mAh is not the only factor when it comes to battery life. mAh is measured at <1 amp down to 2.5 volts. We do not vape at <1amp and down to 2.5 volts. Watt Hours can be measured at any current draw and down to any terminating voltage. It also displays the amount of energy a battery may possess for a specific duration. Two 3000 mAh batteries could have vastly different Watt Hours. In fact, a lower mAh batter could employ a higher watt hour over a higher mAh battery for a specific current draw.

Also...the 2.7 amps you are reading on your Primo screen is coil current, not battery current. With a regulated device the battery does not see the coil resistance, it only sees what the regulated circuit is requesting in terms of wattage.

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    You can't use a protected battery at 13 watts? My evic primo shows about 2.7amps when firing. I would never buy batteries from any vendor that is not recommended, hence my question above.
    What the eVic Primo shows on the screen is the current draw on the coil from the chip. This has absolutely nothing to do with the current draw from the battery.

PiD beat me too it. ;)

You might want to have a look at Moochs blog about regulated mod current draw.
    Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

bgoracy

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 17, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Ok - Thanks all, I was just looking for a recommendation for the longest lasting 18650 using 13 watts and a 1.6ohm coil. I have never actually used a protected battery and probably shouldn't have linked to them as they probably wouldn't fit as puffon mentions. What I didn't want was a long technical discussion about battery chemistry and safety, I just wanted some actual users of actual batteries in their mods to let me know which 18650 seems to last the longest at around 13 watts. Sorry for any confusion.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I use HG2 LG batteries. Mostly 1.3ohm coils at 12 W. They last quite a long time. I haven't measured how long they last or compared how long different batteries would last. It wouldn't be a big deal to me if I found out a different battery lasted a few hours more. I picked them because Mooch recommended them as being safe and reliable. Seriously, if you want that kind of information you need to go to someone who has actually done those measurements, and you know who that is.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    Any chemistry can be used. A protected battery has a circuit or fuse attached to the positive end of the cell. This increases the length of the cell which makes fitting into a vape device problematic. The circuit or fuse will increase the internal resistance, therefore decrease the watt hours of the battery. They are also limited to 10 amps or less.

@bgoracy – on the topic of batteries it is difficult to NOT reference Mooch. This is not just due to battery safety but due to his years of experience, skill sets and testing methodology. If you care to read his blogs, and watch his videos you will learn that mAh is not the only factor when it comes to battery life. mAh is measured at <1 amp down to 2.5 volts. We do not vape at <1amp and down to 2.5 volts. Watt Hours can be measured at any current draw and down to any terminating voltage. It also displays the amount of energy a battery may possess for a specific duration. Two 3000 mAh batteries could have vastly different Watt Hours. In fact, a lower mAh batter could employ a higher watt hour over a higher mAh battery for a specific current draw.

Also...the 2.7 amps you are reading on your Primo screen is coil current, not battery current. With a regulated device the battery does not see the coil resistance, it only sees what the regulated circuit is requesting in terms of wattage.

I've just read this guide: (9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum (how do you tag specific parts of this forum by the way?)
    It really explained a lot, I wish I saw it before. Seems I was quite lucky as I had no idea what I was doing and somehow managed to buy the right batteries for my mod (smoke majesty luxe+ tvf12 prince tank)- the brown LG HG2. But having read it, I probably should have gone for lower mah and higher amp batteries.

These protected batteries: the comments below the guide state that protected battery technology is outdated, and these comments are from 2013! I don't know why anyone would consider buying something that was outdated 7 years ago...

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Nothing personal, but if you don't want advise from mooch, who is by far the most respected battery expert in these parts, why come here asking for advise?
    Sorry, but have to agree... I often do low draw (amps) MTL but still look at Mooch's advice... also do RTAs with (slightly more draw (amps) Mooch's info is so good... why not look into it... or don't, doesn't matter to me what you do.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread