The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

18650 battery with 2.38 OHM coil at 1.4amp safe?

Discussion in 'E-Cigarette Accessories Discussion' started by Przemix, Jun 9, 2021.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Przemix

Przemix Senior Member

Apr 15, 2021
    sup, on my other device Pico 25 I have battery that shows only 18650 3000 mAh 3.7V
    It doesnt show what brand is it or how many amps it consist.

I have a coil 2.38 ohm and it shows im using very low 1.4 amp 4.5W on Pico device

Is it ok for battery to work such low amps? (maybe its for 75W smokers and i run her all the time only on 4-5.5 Watts) Can I continue to do so?

does anyone know what battery is it and how many amp it has?

thanks

Attached Files:

2. 440BB

440BB Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    Generally speaking, most all lithium ion 18650's can handle the low amperage that setup requires. I use batteries rated at 10 amps for a 4.5-5 watt vape on similar coils.

That said, the first thing to do is peel off that sticker to see the writing underneath. It looks like it might be a Samsung 30Q, a 3000 mah 10 amp battery which would be fine for that application. Let us know what you find!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Z-Lee

Z-Lee Super Member

Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    In terms of Ohms Law, what you're seeing is pretty close to what is expected - 1.3, 1.31 amps. In regards to the how it effects the health of the battery, I do not know.

• Like Like x 2
  4. UncleJunkle

UncleJunkle Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    UDIO, Clown World
    Assuming that is a Samsung 30Q you are fine. It's a 10 amp battery. The samsung 30Q and just about any 18650 battery will be safe to run at such a low amp drain. I believe even the crappiest 18650 flashlight will draw at least that many amps.

But your biggest problem is the fact that you don't know what battery you have. Only buy known batteries from reputable sources. Also, IMHO, stick with the major OEM brands (Molicel, Samsung, Sony/Murata, LG, Panasonic, & Sanyo). Here is a list of reputable battery retailers from Mooch's blog...

UK
    fogstar.co.uk
    ecoluxshopdirect.co.uk
    18650.uk

Germany
    akkuteile.de

USA
    liionwholesale.com
    18650batterystore.com

batterybro.com
    illumn.com
    imrbatteries.com
    orbtronic.com

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Przemix

Przemix Senior Member

Apr 15, 2021
    how about 21700 batteries lets say "Samsung 50E 21700 5000mAh 9.8A" can it also be runing as low as 1.2-1.5 amps all day long without killing or damaging battery?

6. Przemix

Przemix Senior Member

Apr 15, 2021
    i peeled white sticker and yeah , you wewre right it is Samsung 15 Amp

Manufacturer: Samsung SDI
    Model: INR18650-30Q (30Q)
    Size: 18650
    Style: Flat Top
    Protected: NO, UNPROTECTED. This cell is unprotected and intended for use in protected battery packs only and NOT individually or as a standalone product. In order to operate safely it must have additional protection in the form of a PCB (protection circuit board) or BMS (battery management system), which is not included.
    Nominal Capacity: 3000mAh
    Discharge Current: 15A Maximum Continuous
    Nominal Voltage: 3.6V
    Maximum Voltage: 4.2V
    Cutoff Voltage: 2.5V
    Approximate Dimensions: 18.33mm x 64.85mm
    Approximate Weight: 48g
    Origin: Republic of Korea, Malaysia, or China

7. Przemix

Przemix Senior Member

Apr 15, 2021
    Yeah its Samsung

Attached Files:

8. Przemix

Przemix Senior Member

Apr 15, 2021
    why it says not for e cig or vape?

Attached Files:

9. Przemix

Przemix Senior Member

Apr 15, 2021
    so basically from what I'm understanding ..... in my situation... since I dont go over 18W ever my best suitable option for battery will be the highest Mahhhhh possible 5000-10,000 with range up to 8-10 amp battery correct? (good known brand only )

10. Z-Lee

Z-Lee Super Member

Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    If you plan on running this battery at 15A, yes it can handle that. However, the cycle life of the battery is going to be between 300 and 500 recharges before the battery's performance is likely to greatly decline or die. That's what the manufacturer has deemed acceptable for performance vs. longevity/battery health. Running a battery at its maximum CDR is going to run the battery nearer to its maximum heat rating - the hotter a battery gets, the more it wears on the battery's cycle life.

As @UncleJunkle mentioned above, it's a 10A battery for best practice. If you run it at this or lower, you can expect 600 to 1000 cycles, or possibly even more.

The rule of thumb for Amp draw and wattage per battery is, 3x the Amp draw is about what wattage it can handle per battery. So if you're maxing at 18W, assuming you never go higher than 30W, a 10A Max CDR battery with a high mah rating would work just fine for you in regards to safe operation (you'd be pulling about 6A = 18/3). If you put two of those batteries in a dual and are vaping at 18W, you'd be pulling 3A per battery (18/3/2), which is about what a normal LED flashlight pulls. You're definitely in the clear for this battery and what you vape at.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Z-Lee

Z-Lee Super Member

Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    And yes, you'd be fine using this as well. 9.8x3 = 29.4W max per battery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Przemix

Przemix Senior Member

Apr 15, 2021
    which battery will last the longest in your opinion? and perform cooler and less stress and get the most cycles, which one is the winner on my coils running 15 W all the time ...

Samsung 50E 21700 5000mAh 9.8A
    vs
    18650 3000 mAh 3.7V 15A
    vs
    Molicel P42A 21700 4200mAh 45A Battery

13. Przemix

Przemix Senior Member

Apr 15, 2021
    i think samsung will take me thru 2-3 day without charging but Moliceli could be performing cooler and almost 2 days without charging, what you think?

14. somdcomputerguy

somdcomputerguy vaper dedicato Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Batteries like these were originally (and still are) made for battery packs for drills and similar uses. Turns out that they're used individually in vape devices and other electronic devices. A statement like that is basically just a CYA statement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Przemix

Przemix Senior Member

Apr 15, 2021
  16. Z-Lee

Z-Lee Super Member

Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
  17. Z-Lee

Z-Lee Super Member

Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    If you're 15W all the time, Samsung will likely squeeze out Moli's by a bit, for day to day use. If you live in a hot area, or your batteries are likely to get hot by themselves sitting in a vehicle or exposed to sunlight, then I'd vote Moli's probably. I'm a Moli fan myself, but to each their own. Honestly, at that point, it kind of comes down to price point for me. Good luck finding P42A's from a reliable vendor though (the links that UncleJunkle linked above). I've had my eye on them for over a month and everyone's completely dry.

18. Przemix

Przemix Senior Member

Apr 15, 2021
  19. Przemix

Przemix Senior Member

Apr 15, 2021
    Anyone used tesla ones before?
    I wonder How They perform

Attached Files:

20. Z-Lee

Z-Lee Super Member

Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Never seen them before at any of the shops listed above. Although Tesla is a reputable brand, you wouldn't buy a box from me that said Tesla on it, would you?

I just bought 8 of these guys - I'm a midrange vaper, so I'll definitely be using up their amp allowance, but at the price they're listed at, I'm okay with that. They're BAK/Lishen OEMs. Tested by Mooch himself and found to run cooler than most other batteries in the high capacity range. I'll link Mooch's review so you can read about them and make your own evaluation.

Lishen 21700-LR2170SF 13.5A Flat Top 4500mAh Battery - Grade A Genuine

He does note there to be potential venting issue as a vent on the bottom of the battery has been added to keep it cooler, which it does. However, in the case of thermal runaway, that leaves two directions in which it could explode. If that is a concern for you, you might want to look elsewhere. I figure if a thermal runaway occurs, the :censored: has already hit the fan. This was two years ago though. No news is good news in this case.
    Bench Test Results: Lishen LR2170SF 13.5A 4500mAh 21700...best ultra-capacity 21700 but issues

• Like Like x 1