190 Proof Alcohol - Pure Grain

Status
Not open for further replies.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
For almost anything you would want to do with everclear, what you have should work just fine. I would recommend you just use your 150 proof instead.

Distilling alcohol to a more pure state is difficult, requires pretty specialized equipment, can be very dangerous, is illegal without a specific license and detailed documentation, and ain't worth it.

If you feel that you do need very pure PGA, drive or fly to someplace that sells it and buy it there. DON'T try to refine it yourself, you will be violating federal law and endangering yourself, for no good reason whatsoever.

Concentrating weak alcohol into stronger alcohol is not that difficult (and illegal in most of the US). Concentrating strong alcohol into very pure alcohol is an order of magnitude harder. (And illegal, and more dangerous, and if it blows up, forget about your homeowner's insurance, you're NOT covered!)

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
alien Traveler" data-source="post: 15624061" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
alien Traveler said:
150 proof is good enough for diluting VG and for extractions.

As for equipment, you need something like this:

Copper Moonshine Stills for Sale

Pix For > Homemade Alcohol Still

Sorry, Alien, none of those setups will really work for purifying 150 proof -> 190 proof. (They might be how the OP's 150 proof was made, but there's a reason they stopped at 150).

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Last edited:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Sorry, Alien, none of those setups will really work for purifying 150 proof -> 190 proof. (They might be how the OP's 150 proof was made, but there's a reason they stopped at 150).

I doubt very much they "stopped at 150". Vodka is made from ethyl alcohol of about 190-192 proof. This special "150" thing may be something to keep product in accordance with local law. While I agree that it is difficult to make stronger alcohol at home, but it is still possible by multiple distillations. And some of designs from my links are capable of producing high proof alcohol (of course it is not economical to run small batches of 150 proof alcohol through them).

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I doubt very much they "stopped at 150". Vodka is made from ethyl alcohol of about 190-192 proof. This special "150" thing may be something to keep product in accordance with local law. While I agree that it is difficult to make stronger alcohol at home, but it is still possible by multiple distillations. And some of designs from my links are capable of producing high proof alcohol (of course it is not economical to run small batches of 150 proof alcohol through them).

Well, you and I disagree, about pretty much everything you said above. Except for that last part, although I would substitute "feasible" for "economical". More important, though, is your advice helpful?

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Well, you and I disagree, about pretty much everything you said above. Except for that last part, although I would substitute "feasible" for "economical". More important, though, is your advice helpful?

How so? You disagree that vodka is diluted ethanol? You are very wrong.

Vodka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Depending on the distillation method and the technique of the stillmaster, the final filtered and distilled vodka may have as much as 95–96% ethanol. As such, most vodka is diluted with water prior to bottling

As for my advice - I believe it is helpful: "150 proof is good enough for diluting VG and for extractions". I believe that most things soluble in alcohol but not water will be soluble in 150 proof alcohol.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
"150 proof is good enough for diluting VG and for extractions". I believe that most things soluble in alcohol but not water will be soluble in 150 proof alcohol.

Can you extract tobacco leaves that way? What is the break down of the extracting solution in terms of vg/alcohol?

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Last edited:

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
:) So funny, I am actually the one who started that thread :) My question was whether you can extract actual tobacco leaves with a mixture of VG and alcohol....

Yes
That's how I got my Red Man Gold Blend extract.

It takes low heat. Soak the tobacco in alcohol, add VG, strain/filter, evap alcohol= VG extract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread