• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

1st deployment to sandbox. Shipment from U.S possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thedan1284

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2013
Travis AFB, CA
I am headed out for a deployment for the Air Force in a couple weeks. Its my first time and I'm wondering if its possible to purchase liquid/mods/parts online and have them shipped to al dahfra air base. Will i have a apo/fpo? And are any of these items likely to be opened by another countries customs? Ive heard that there might be some restrictions in the local area off base by google-ing around a bit. Not sure if i get a apo. If if i have one if it'll get to me safe and in a timely manner.

Thedan1284

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2013
Travis AFB, CA
I think i might have to go that route. Ive started a couple co-workers into the vape-world and i MIGHT be able to convince them to send me care-packages to me if i have it shipped to them and allow them to sample 10ml from each of my liquids. I think its a pretty sweet set-up for them and me. Still fishing for a definite answer in the direct apo address route because i can be stingy with my liquids. :). Thanks for the reply wv2win.

malus_rex

Jun 15, 2012
Maryland
You will absolutely have an APO address at Al Dhafra. Shipping is no problem for most items, although a few retailers don't offer shipping to APO addresses. Surevapes does not, they are the only one I tried to order from that doesn't. The only thing you CAN'T ship APO is raw batteries, so if you have an APV stock up before you go. Also know that when you fly out, whether commercial or rotator, your batteries need to be either in a sealed device or taped over the ends.

Technically there is a restriction on shipping liquids via APO, but I have only heard of it being enforced for alcohol. I have had eliquid shipped multiple times since I've been in Afghanistan with no issues, and many people here get liquid body wash and other items all the time. Just make sure you are ordering from a retailer who packs it well so it doesn't leak.

APO mail does not go through any foreign customs. It goes straight from the US postal service, to the armed forces postal service, to you. Be aware that shipping times can be long and vary greatly. I am not sure about getting mail in the UAE, should be a bit faster for you since you are on an Air Base, but I have had packages take over 3 weeks to arrive. (I am on a small outstation in Afghanistan). All AE addresses ship from New York City so try to order from retailers near NYC for the fastest ship times.

malus_rex

Jun 15, 2012
Maryland
Thank you so much for the info malus rex. Thats a bit of a headache off my shoulders.

No problem; the less you have to worry about during predeployment the better. One more thing I thought I should mention: make sure you order from vendors who provide good packaging. Military mail is rough on packages. This goes for anything, including packages mailed from family.

Good luck and have a great deployment.

PVPuff&Stuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Bishop, California, United States
This is not an issue. I received confirmation from my local office that the regulations on shipping rechargeable batteries was intended for bulk shippers/manufacturers. IE: They can't send a crate of lithium phone batteries to an FPO/APO, but they could ship one battery (or one set of batteries). The USPS says it's ok, the Commands say it's ok. It's ok.

AF duty is the best duty in the area. You're the only one with Taco Bell. Remember on any trips from base to say, Bahrain....that a cold, soggy Taco Bell taco will sell for more than 5 bucks there. You could leave there a rich man. :)

Underdawg736

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Lancaster, Pa
You should be alright. One thing though as it's warming up nicely over there, inspect your batteries and liquids once you get them. The kind of heat out there could very possibly damage or even destroy your goodies. If the liquids taste anything then other what it was intended to taste like then it's probably toasted and I wouldn't use anymore in case of any adverse reactions from it.
Ohhh a little off topic.... don't have your family send you any chocolate or peanut butter type candy while your over there. It'll arrive ate up like Campbell on rye, and if it leaks out, the postal guys will probably tear your box open to make sure it's not some kind of chemical weapon!

Most important though, good luck, be safe, and make the most of it!!

PVPuff&Stuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Bishop, California, United States
The previous post about heat is something you should pay attention to. Summers there can get to 125 degrees in the daytime, and winters can be brutally cold. Both of those are going to affect your battery life.

Metal left in the sunlight in the summer will burn your hand when you go to pick it up...and batteries die very quickly when it's really cold. High temps can be dangerous for lithium batteries, so be careful and don't leave anything in direct sunlight. (I remember 52 C showing on the big spire one summer)

Plan accordingly. :) Have fun, and keep safe! The area sucks to have to go to, but of all places, I'd rather have gone where you are headed.

Last edited:

Jeremy Evans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2013
Columbus, Georgia, United States
You should be fine getting batteries shipped to you, had to have family send me tons of CR123s during my tour in OIF, let your family send you whatever you want, hell my wife sent me a cake for my bday and it was the hit of the patrol base for less than 5 minutes and then it was GONE! Good luck over there, and worse comes to worse use the buddy chain you talked about to get stuff. We also ordered steaks from a place who ships them in styrofoam with dry ice in them and we got them still frozen in the summer in Iraq, just saying

chopsuey1562

Jun 26, 2010
Shreveport, LA
I'm currently deployed and have had absolutely no problem getting liquids and hardware shipped over here to me. All my vendors except one ship to an APO box. If your favorite place does not, try contacting them via email as the one that did not, after contacting them, added the option to ship here.

Also if you cannot wait go to apobox.com and create an account there. They give you a stateside address and they forward your stuff from there. This can be used for virtually everything you cannot get shipped to an APO (ex amazon products).

Sikario

Apr 13, 2013
Colorado
Im in Kuwait, and have had mixed results. Out of 9 orders I have made so far I have 1 box which i pretty much am considering lost in the post as it has been over a month and I havent heard a thing. I submitted an inquiry through the MPSA but havent heard a thing. Luckily the vendor was very kind and reshipped at no cost to me. I am currently awaiting that package as well as one other from a different vender. All orders prior to these last 3 have arrived without issue and within a week or so of ordering. *shrug* im not sure whats going on.

Maglin

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2009
Wichita, KS
I hope all goes well. I miss the days when I could ship something to the sand box for free at the base post office. My wife sent a very very large care package for one of her airman that was deployed and I told her to go the on base post office route. She told me that don't do that anymore. I'm probably going to be deploying with in the year to some unknown location in BFE. I plan to bring about 300ml of different juices along with a few mechs and my trusty VP-1 charger. Might try to bring kanthal to do builds but if I happen to have my stuff scanned I could set off some alarms. Batteries, wire, liquids, a few pipe bomb looking devices. I guess I'll find out.

Maglin,

You won't have a problem... I have been here for a couple of months and have been getting all my stuff in the mail. You have to plan ahead a little bit but with some proactive on timing, you'll be fine.

Many sites have specific APOs listed in the drop down boxes. These are no problem to send over here. Others will not have the APO listed which requires a little postal trickery. One thing to take note of is that all mail for APO address go through New York (at least for the "Sandbox"). Another good tip is to always select that it is a business address.

Below is an example with different options depending on the way the site is set up. Use which ever one is easiest to do when ordering online.

Standard APO:

NAME: YOUR NAME
COMPANY: YOUR UNIT
ADDRESS LINE 1: YOUR TASK FORCE (if you have one otherwise put line 2 info here)
ADDRESS LINE 2: FOB LOCATION (i.e. BAGRAM, JALALABAD, etc.)
CITY: APO
STATE: AE (many drop down menus will have "Armed Forces Europe, Armed Forces Middle East, etc. Both Europe and Middle East will get it to the same place) if there isn't a drop down for Armed Forces.... than put New York. Sounds strange but it works.)
ZIP: FOB USPS ZIP

I have had many things sent here using both variations of the address and have had good luck. I do have to plan ahead. I had one order of juice that took almost a month to get here. If that happens and you are low, pm me and I will get you some juice some how.

Where are you going to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread