The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

1st post, Xbox 360 Vaporizer USB

Discussion in 'Battery Mods' started by .308, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. .308

.308 Moved On

May 10, 2009
    Pacific NW
    First of all, Hello everyone. I happened upon this forum while looking for parts and I think I'll stay. I build marine transceivers for a living so I do enjoy a good electronics project. I thought I would post my parts list and just IM me if you want pics, as I cant post pics until I have 15 posts apparently:(. Huge clouds my friends... I am using the "New 901 style ULTIMO" atomizer, different from DSE901.

XBOX360 controller pack vaporizer

1x xbox 360 controller battery pack AA, gutted
    1x USB cable, stripped to red/black
    1x 275-1547 momentary pushbutton switch
    1x 274-1576 DC coax
    6" wire, solder,file, drill.

It's pretty funny, I did it mostly for cosmetics (my own amusement, taking a hit from my 360, through a 360 battery pack, they should come with these...ahem...Microsoft.) Let me know if you have questions.

2. kinabaloo

kinabaloo Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Could you make the VP work interactively - vape to fire, perhaps ?

Or allow the build-up of vape-seconds ?

btw: welcome :)

3. Iken

Iken Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Jan 23, 2009
    PA,USA
    Wow .308 I would very much like to see that :) You can add the url w/ spaces
    www. Ecf .com

4. .308

.308 Moved On

May 10, 2009
    Pacific NW
    I tried a few close up shots but my camera isn't very good. I do think it's pretty funny when sitting on the xbox with the controllers. It looks like an almost-standard accessory.

Address w/ spaces.
    ht tp ://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/bluer1x/IMG_0245.jpg

5. Iken

Iken Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Jan 23, 2009
    PA,USA
    Here ya go :), I beleive if you reply to my post, copy the code, then edit your initial, theres a chance it'll go through for you.Still worth a shot.
    I really like the idea of using the powerpack as a battery holster, its very inspiring ;)

[​IMG]

6. .308

.308 Moved On

May 10, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Thanks man, I've thought about using it as a battery holster as well, the only problem is that you'd have to run 2 li-ion batts in parallel config (3.6/3.7v) in such a tight spot for any sort of longevity. The battery pack's original config (set up for 2AA) is running in-line, if you were to use the metal stock contacts.

One advantage, other than it looking like an 360 accessory, it if you use the unit as a container for components (USB config), such as mine, it splits in half laterally so you can fabricate each 1/2 shell at a time and don't have to worry about soldering after component installation. Just glue or elec. tape the other half of the shell back on after the components are in place and hooked up.

I'd also like to mention that using the usb from the 360 itself, instead of from a PC, gives you a bigger hit. Higher and/or cleaner power maybe?

I would like to strip the center "XBOX" button from a controller, with the 4 green LEDs and put that in-line on the battery pack. so when you engage the switch it does the little circular xbox power cycle flashing. You'd know what I mean if you own one, I think that would make it a much better accessory.

7. iiimathman24iii

iiimathman24iii Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 29, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    i will do some digging i think i have bill gates' email address you're gonna want to get a patent on that....:Dand with the controller light ring in place... you could literally get thousands of gamers to put down the cancer sticks just to be able to say "im smokin from my 360!!" 8-o

AWESOME :cool:

8. TnA

TnA Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 19, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    Nice job .308 and glad to have your participation/input into this forum! :) Not to take away from what you've already accomplished, but I seem to recall someone who managed to connect their atty to an xbox (or maybe ps3?) controller. Don't recall enough about it...but it might have actually been a usable controller that they could vape with at the same time. 8-o Anyone recall that mod?

Ooops...just ran into it....it's garrydibley with his PS3 mod. Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/16960-vaping-ps3-controller.html

9. Christopher

Christopher Full Member

Mar 21, 2009
    .308 that is f@#$%#$@@ awesome man, good job!

10. .308

.308 Moved On

May 10, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Yep, kind of stole my thunder with the PS3 mod. But I'm happy to know I had the first rudimentary video game accessory mod. So my project is going on as planned, I brought my 360 controller to work to use the flow-solder machine today. I've got it gutted and I'm removing unneeded components under the stereoscope (That center XBOX button with the LED ring has other functions to the controller so I have to strip components and close the circuit still retaining the microcontroller that cycles the 4 green LEDs when power is applied. By just using the mini-board behind that button I can eliminate about 70% of the internal structure of the original battery pack (using the pulled component's bare board leads instead of wire) so after I get this working properly it might be able to take a 18650 Li-on I have coming in-line with only a few mm extension of one side of the battery pack.

At that point i would make it purely USB detachable/chargable. Which would be even funnier to me as a "wireless xbox" accessory.

11. NY JETS

NY JETS Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 9, 2009
    NYC
    you just gotta use xbox language when you talk about it though..

PWNED VAPZ

12. dedmonwakin

dedmonwakin Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2009
    Destin,FL.
    Cool! I'd love to see how this turns out. I was thinking of modding my 360 controller to be a usb pass thru power supply as well. Since I already added a rapid fire mod to one of them in the past, I figured what the heck? Only thing I plan on doing differently is adding a Standard USB female port to the controller that taps into both the battery supply and charging port before any voltage regulators/resistors which will be controlled by a switch. This way, I could have power supplied by the battery for mobility or continuous power while charging and 5v for more power. The only thing is finding the space to fit a usb input...may have to go mini usb but I'm not sure if mini usb inputs decrease voltage...I'll find out soon enough!

13. .308

.308 Moved On

May 10, 2009
    Pacific NW
    If you want to add a female USB port it would be no problem if you want to sacrifice one of the two centrifugal "vibration" motors in the lower palm area of the controller, you'd have 2+ inches of clearance and you wouldn't have to go mini USB.

I have a solution for the xbox controller vape if you look at my post in the PS3 thread. Wired and wireless.

I'm going to get more into the controller mounted vaporizer after I finish this battery pack mod (hopefully today, the micro-LEDs are killing me at this point)

Though I decided to not use xbox button as a function switch (cosmetic with LEDs), I AM using the red "B" button to fire the atomizer, and I've cleaned up the design alot (no electrical tape, etc.) While I was soldering last night I thought it would be cool to use the variable L1/R1 trigger to engage the atomizer too, in futurespect.

14. .308

.308 Moved On

May 10, 2009
    Pacific NW
    After a few go-arounds with the engineers at work, the XBOX Vaporizer is ready to go. It now has variable tuning pot resistors and runs in parallel, so you can adjust how bright the LEDs are and/or how much vapor you get using the 10K Ohm var. resistor and 20K var. resistor. the LEDs have 1K solid resistors behind them and use a micro-4072 ocillator chip combined with a 555 sync counter for the circle. It ocillates in the circle when you first plug it in, then every hit you take (press the "B" button) the 5th LED lights the "X" up. Photos BELOW.

I'm happy with the the way this came out, I've found that the atomizer with 3.7V behind it works the best, and it is tuned as such. Enjoy.

15. wyzardd

wyzardd Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2009
    Broomfield, CO
    I have no comment on the mod, just want to say I dig your username and avatar.

Remington 700VLS w/Springfield glass

16. .308

.308 Moved On

May 10, 2009
    Pacific NW
    ht p:/ /s37 1.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/bluer1x/Vaporizer/

17. emsmom

emsmom Moved On ECF Veteran

Mar 19, 2009
    Arizona
    Nice pics, very clever! Don't think my son would ever leave his 360 with your design!

18. Unforgivensinner

Unforgivensinner Full Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Littleton, Co
    Ok Now if you can power it from the controller it self somehow I will buy it :) I vape like crazy when I'm gaming.

Edit: Well no cause I usually have my headset plugged in so that is a no go for me. What about using a rechargeable battery pack without the usb?

19. .308

.308 Moved On

May 10, 2009
    Pacific NW
    This wireless controller Mod will be quite simple actually, you can either have the atomizer literally coming out of the controller, or have it on a cord coming out of the controller. Both under the power of the xbox recharge battery.

To mount the atomizer ON the controller, just open up the controller, solder 2 wires to the 1st and 4th gold pin. I would suggest removing one of the vibration motors in the palm area and mounting the coax/atomizer jack there (drill hole), then wherever you want the switch (drill hole). Mount the switch.

Now that everything is in place, wire it up as follows. positive wire from gold pin #1 to the switch. Switch goes to resistor (I would use a variable resistor pot as in accessory battery mod then you can tweek it to put out more/less vapor ie:resistance, 3.7v is about max vapor without frying the atomizer). Resistor goes to DC coax/atomizer jack +, then of course atomizer - goes to ground gold pin #4.

Thats it. The one on the cord is the same, but run a long double wire cord out from the resistor inside the controller, have your atomizer jack on the other end of the cord, and run the neg. jack lead back in the cord to the ground gold pin #4. Pretty simple stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.