2/7/14 US Domestic only: CASAA calls in WI, SF & LB CA; Albany NY Co. Exec order: vaping=smoking; NY bills intro'd; States: NY,PA,MD,FL,KY,IL,MO,UT,NM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
All US Domestic: CASAA Calls in WI, SF CA, LB CA; Albany NY Co. vaping=smoking; NY US Bills intro'd; States: NY, PA, MD, FL, KY, IL, MO, UT, NM, OR, CA; Gary Cox on CVS

[To read broken links: cut and paste entire link - most browsers will "eat" the extra line.]

CASAA: Call to Action! Wisconsin AB 481 taxes e-cigarettes and other smoke-free products as high as cigarettes [tax increase on tobacco products covers vaping supplies]

CASAA: Call to Action! San Francisco, California, E-Cigarette Usage Ban [SF vaping=smoking + restrictions on B&M sales; Feb 20th meeting]

CASAA: Local Alert! Long Beach, California, E-Cigarette Usage Ban [smoking = vaping; Tues 11th meeting]

Will No-Smokes Pharmacy Sell Vapes? - ECF InfoZone [Gary Cox on CVS decision]

(HuffPo US Nat'l 'Impact') www.huffingtonpost
.com/janie-heath/why-we-must-regulate-e-cigarettes_b_4739900.html [Article by UVA 'Chief Academic Officer' filled with scare-mongering junk about minors and the usual "fear of the unknown" stuff - albeit with surprisingly little of the other usual ANTZ junk. Look for the apparently-uncredentialed Janie Heath to testify on the 5 VA bills that I posted about yesterday.]

(Medscape, US Nat'l aimed at med. professionals) www.medscape
.com/viewarticle/820037 [Article written in 'scholarly' language w/ junk study cites that propagates the same sort of trash that one would expect to see in a decent nat'l US general-interest publication. Their disclosures link (and requirements) strike me as suspicious, however. A general call for regulation; the only non-minor-related cite is to the '09 FDA study. Do the authors pad their CVs with stuff like this??]

(MPR, nat'l pharmacist trade 'zine) www.empr
.com/vapor-and-mirrors-are-e-cigarettes-masquerading-as-a-safer-alternative/article/332846/ [Despite the title, this appears to be a much more careful article than the above - I read it expecting to see a laundry list of hit job studies including FDA '09, but was surprised to see: www.ncbi
.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21406283 cited as well as recent The Lancet and NEJM studies. This is about as balanced I've seen in the lit. aimed at H/C professionals.]

(Albany NY US local paper) www.timesunion
.com/local/article/E-cigarettes-banned-in-Albany-County-owned-5210842.php [Co. Exec. signs exec. order declaring vaping as smoking - ban on vaping applies to 20 ft. outside perimiter around co. bldgs. Much junk; appears to be a knee-jerk reaction. NY residents note also:
State Senate Health Committee Chairman Kemp Hannon, R-Long Island, introduced a bill Thursday that would ban e-cigarettes from most workplaces, as regular cigarette smoking is restricted under the state's Clean Indoor Air Act. A similar proposal has been forwarded by Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal, D-Manhattan.
]

(Wilkes-Barre PA NBC Affiliate) www.pahomepage
.com/story/d/story/e-cigarette-concerns/28440/H7CqOi4jQEK8Z7C9kUtOUw [Junk-filled ANTZ-quoting scare-mongering hit piece, my favorite part of this one is the scary warning that PVs "can produce vapor". Comments would be helpful.]

(Anne Arundel Co. MD US local paper) www.capitalgazette
.com/news/business/e-cigarette-trend-getting-hot-in-anne-arundel/article_895e7877-8aa9-5243-a839-f74c1612823d.html?TNNoMobile [Report on local vape store, which is surprisingly divided into a leader, a section called 'warning' (w/ ANTZ junk), and a section called 'advocates' which cites CASAA & the Drexel study.]

(Tallahassee FL US local paper) www.tallahassee
.com/viewart/20140206/NEWS/140206016/-E-cigarette-ban-minors-advances-Senate- [FL minor ban clears st. Sen. cmte, continues to drag in the house. Usual minor junk. FL AG Bondi-R is a 'critic' according to two different sources, but neither tells me what else she wants. No other indication of a "minor morph" in FL - not yet, anyway.]

(Madisonville KY US local paper) www.the-messenger
.com/news/local/article_9c3aed16-26a5-5d9c-bd4e-c4b020a9e0c2.html [behind a pay wall, but discusses HB173 vaping=smoking bill. Also a huge statewide tax contemplated in KY, see: CASAA: Call to Action! Kentucky Bills to Ban E-Cigarette Usage & Impose 40% Tax ]

(Springfield IL US ABC affiliate) www.wics
.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_15507.shtml [straight junk-free reporting on new vaping store opening]

(KC MO US NBC Affiliate) www.kshb
.com/dpp/news/local_news/investigations/e-cigarettes-under-fire-by-critics [Verbatim copy of the same story we saw out of an ABC affiliate w/ the junk Tablbot UC Riverside 'investigation.' Apparently the KC station was too lazy to edit it for any local content.]

(SL UT US ABC Affiliate) www.4utah
.com/story/d/story/e-cigarettes-the-healthier-option/47031/OCyjUashpkOmgmz9lbOA5g [Junk article w/ quotes from local ANTZ Cardiologist who cites the Hai Brown heart study www.eurekalert
.org/pub_releases/2013-12/asfc-ndc112613.php + bogus alarmist minor stat "Utah is one of only four states that have the same regulations on e-cigarettes as regular cigarettes. Still, their use is skyrocketing with kids in our state. Teens are three times more likely to report using e-cigs than adults."huh? UT already has vaping=smoking law; see CASAA call on UT online sales ban: CASAA: Call to Action! Utah Online Sales Ban (Effectively Would Make It Illegal for Utah Residents to Purchase Online)

(Taos NM US local paper) www.taosnews
.com/news/article_5b56340a-8f4b-11e3-8270-001a4bcf887a.html [discusses minor ban bill, usual minor junk; note that massive tax increase in NM was tabled last year, so watch for possible morph. Also notes City of Santa Fe considers vaping=smoking ord. as reported here last week, but no CASAA local alert yet.]

(Salem OR PBS Affiliate) www.opb
.org/news/article/lawmakers-study-e-cigarettes/ [Gen'l report on bills in OR legislature; surprisingly free of junk, discusses SB4115 vaping=smoking bill, see CASAA call above on yellow banner. Ref. to R Street; none to CASAA]

(SF CA US ABC Affiliate) abclocal.go
.com/kgo/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=9421962 [Picks up the recent ConsumerReports article, verbatim - just in time for the Feb 20th vaping = smoking hearing. As some of you may recall, the advice is to avoid PVs as cessation, due to "concerns" ineffectiveness, lack of regulation, etc. See CASAA call on Feb 20th SF ordinance: CASAA: Call to Action! San Francisco, California, E-Cigarette Usage Ban ]

Last edited:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
(Tallahassee FL US local paper) www.tallahassee
.com/viewart/20140206/NEWS/140206016/-E-cigarette-ban-minors-advances-Senate- [FL minor ban clears st. Sen. cmte, continues to drag in the house. Usual minor junk. FL AG Bondi-R is a 'critic' according to two different sources, but neither tells me what else she wants. No other indication of a "minor morph" in FL - not yet, anyway.]

I read an article yesterday (sorry, didn't bookmark it) quoting Bondi as saying she was against the bill because it didn't address the "flavors such as bubble gum attracting children" issue. Sounds like she's bought into the ALA/ACA/etc. dogma against banning sales to minors unless other prohibitions also apply. (Wouldn't be at all surprised if she's one of the AGs that signed the letter to FDA.)

(Wilkes-Barre PA NBC Affiliate) www.pahomepage
.com/story/d/story/e-cigarette-concerns/28440/H7CqOi4jQEK8Z7C9kUtOUw [Junk-filled ANTZ-quoting scare-mongering hit piece, my favorite part of this one is the scary warning that PVs "can produce vapor". Comments would be helpful.]

Finally! An ANTZ got something right! :lol:

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
I just saw this news item. I am in Albany, NYNY. Suddenly, by executive decree, I can't vape. What can I do about this?

This is one of the unfortunate drawbacks about executive orders - there's no opportunity for public comment. Some local ANTZ contacts the decision-maker, or a junky story appears in the local press .. and whammo! the order gets signed.

However if you know other vapers (local vape shops and tobacco stores that sell vape supplies are a good place to go), you might get a bunch of folks together, and consider following some of the advice on the CASAA local alerts page: CASAA Local Alerts

For example, this one strikes me as typical: CASAA: Local Alert! Long Beach, California, E-Cigarette Usage Ban

Who knows, you might get lucky. Maybe your local Co. Exec. isn't a complete idiot and might also be open to reason.

Good luck! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread