2 years in jail for possession in Hong Kong?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThaVaporz

Apr 7, 2010
City of Angels
Hey guys, so i just read that possession or sale of E-cigs in Hong Kong can get you 2 years in jail or a 100,000 HKD fine? I'm really sad, its my 2nd week now without an analog, and my mom is very excited to be moving to Hong Kong for 5 years for her new job. I've been excited to go visit her soon and this has really distressed me.

The first site I saw this at was The Truth About Electronic Cigarettes | Quit Smoking (Yesterday)

I searched these forums and saw people saying that wikipedia said they were illegal, without saying the penalty. But now that has been removed. So i googled it from google.com.hk and found another site, this one hong kong, saying the same thing: Electronic Cigarettes Are Ruled Illegal | Clear The Air Tobacco Blog
I'll be doing more research but if anyone knows anything it would be helpful!

ThaVaporz

Apr 7, 2010
City of Angels
Yea i kno rhino those arent the most official or legit looking websites, but the fact they said the same thing scares me, but as i said more research is required. And i dont know even when she is there how accessible that information is. Is very scary and draconian if that is actually the law.

Anyone speak cantonese and trying to look this up for me? haha

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
I thought that was where they make and sell these little darlings in the first place? Isn't China where it all comes from?

They do make them there. That is all I know, they may or may not sell them there. We make nuclear bombs, but use and possession is illegal. Sorry, that's a drastic illustration, but interesting thread.

ThaVaporz

Apr 7, 2010
City of Angels
I thought that was where they make and sell these little darlings in the first place? Isn't China where it all comes from?

Yes they make them in China, which is very different from hong kong, hong kong is basically its own country and has its own currency. Englang owned it from 1898 to 1997, after china banned opium that england was selling them. England was like, ....... that! ur gonna buy our drugs!! So england went to war with china over legalizing the opium trade, which they won and forced china to legalize it, they were also just like, alright, were gonna jack ur port of hong kong for 99 years.

I believe a lot of the distribution offices are in hong kong, I do not know if any product actually goes thru it.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
actually i wouldnt doubt it i read at the beginning of the economic downturn they told they advised there people to smoke more cigarettes to make tax money. lols

That's exactly what I heard the law was for, in a news story. They want people to smoke and pay taxes on it. I don't have a link, sorry. Seriously messed up, but it might be the same thing in the US soon.

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
Welcome to the wonderful world of OBAMA CARE!!!

Actually I thought Obama smokes on occasion. There was a thread somewhere that he got an e-cig of some sort on Valentine's day or something, years ago. I think ecigs today are fantastic, I wonder what he thinks now.

Anyway, at the federal level, Obama actually exempted Menthol from being banned from tobacco cigarettes, at the request of the public, iirc, did he not?

Last edited:

ThaVaporz

Apr 7, 2010
City of Angels
Here's a link to an article that discusses this. Illegal electronic cigarettes seized

From that article... "The users absorb high doses of nicotine, which go into the blood within seconds. The users feel like they are smoking tobacco," he said. "It has nothing to do with tobacco cessation. The chance of successfully quitting smoking with electronic cigarettes is slim."

Why do i keep seeing this crap when i see anti-tobacco websites... I was looking at the American Cancer Society website (trying to find the best places to chime in my "quit smoking" story, and advocate e-cigs:D) And they said something like, there is zero evidence that these are the least bit effective in smoking cessation, than they further went on to proclaim how successful patches and gum was...

Especially since this is the most revolutionary smoking cessation product ever...

And also Idaho Ron, while 100,000 hkd is only $13,000 USD (still a freaking huge amount for a fine) 2 years in Honk Kong Prison is the same amount of time as 2 years in a US prison

Last edited:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Actually I thought Obama smokes on occasion. There was a thread somewhere that he got an e-cig of some sort on Valentine's day or something, years ago. I think ecigs today are fantastic, I wonder what he thinks now.

Anyway, at the federal level, Obama actually exempted Menthol from being banned from tobacco cigarettes, at the request of the public, iirc, did he not?

Actually it seems that menthol was exempt because to ban it, unlike the other flavors, would actually have a big impact on BT profits. The other flavored cigs combined to about 1% of the total cig market. So menthol was a negotiated flavor...I doubt Obama had anything to do with it. The whole flavor banning thing was just a PR circus to make it look like they were doing something about analogs. BTW, kids don't smoke flavored cigs, other than menthol. They smoke Marls, in general. Nice work, FDA! :lol:

ThaVaporz

Apr 7, 2010
City of Angels
hard to believe, since I just ordered some inventory from a supplier in Hong Kong.....

Hrmm than i suppose product definitely than does go from china to hong kong. (non are made in hong kong right? there all made on the mainland?)

But than I'm assuming these are strictly international sales companies than, and while HK is chill with selling us all these e-cigs, they're not okay with their people selling it to their own people...

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
I would be shocked to find out that is true. Heck you can smoke cigs in their airports.

Yeah, in a teeny tiny room where you're crowded shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of people blowing their nose in the 'Old World Style'...no hankie, no kleenex, just put your finger against a nostril and BLOW!! 8-o

Although, I would have KILLED for that little crappy room at Toronto's airport...:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread