2+ years of vaping and still have questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

No More Analog

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
USA
vaping has been a lifesaver, but it's also still a little confusing at times. I'm hoping some answers will come my way from some of the seasoned vets around this wonderful forum.

My desire, like most is throat hit, a full chest feeling, and plumes of vapor.
My questions are about cartomizer lifespan/care-taking, battery and mod 'health'.

I'll start off stating that my setup for a long, long time is a 5v mod named Wow or Woo (I think they changed names), purchased from Cloudsofvapor.com. It uses 2 RCR123A 3v batteries. I've used a couple different 7v mods, which both kept breaking. The Woos are $20 and have lasted for months and months if not longer...it's been that long that I don't remember when I switched to them...probably over a year ago.

I've used 2.5, 1.5, and 1.25 ohm dual coil cartos from Smok, and 1.5 duals from Kanger.

My questions/problems diverge, so I'll try and organize this as best as possible.

First, throat hit and vapor production from a fresh carto doesn't seem to last past the first couple of hours, and by day 2, they're tired and muted in flavor and overall vapor production & throat hit. They also tend to start to draw like they're clogged. I've tried top filling into the fiberfill with flicking like a thermometer to get the juice down in there well, I've tried condom filling from the connector end; some say one way is wrong, some the the other is wrong...
Regardless of method, I keep the cartos wet, but that doesn't seem to matter that much...they just get tired after a day.

Im not looking for a new mod, and I'm afraid to try all these new hole punched tank systems...they're still cartos on the inside, and in my mind, if a carto doesn't last me more than a day, why would I waste more money on them than I already am.

Sub question- there's conflicting info out there about ohm and voltage combinations...a personal example...
I'd always used Smok 1.5's and tried Kangers because Good Prophets was having a sale. They burned MUCH hotter than the Smok cartos, but they often tasted like hot atty no matter how much juice was packed in the carto. I asked Good Prophets about this, and they said I shouldn't be using 1.5 ohms @ 5volts, I should be using 2.5...yet Clouds of Vapor say the best bang for my 5v Woo is the 1.25 ohm Smok carto (which still doesn't seem as hot as the Kanger 1.5). Again, the 1.25s are great, sometimes for a day or two, sometimes for an hour or two.

Next, is the drop in TH, etc a juice issue? I use 24mg, and 50/50 or 70/30 depending on what's available. I've had 50/50s from Freedomesmokeusa that had throat hit/fullness, and 70/30s with not much throat hit.

Ive tried LR atty dripping in the past when I had an eGo, and I swear cartos of the same ohms had more throat hit. I just ordered a dual coil 1.5 atty to try again on my 5v mod; is that a good idea to try?

Can a mod get tired? Does it transfer less power as it ages?
I don't think my problem is battery or mod related because like I said, usually (but not always), a fresh new carto usually kicks but, for a little while.

Long story short, I want my vaping to be consistently pleasurable and after 26 months of no analogs, I'm still searching.
Thanks for reading!

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
Well pushing 7 volts through a LR cartomizer is the problem. I'm shocked they last an entire day. I honestly don't have a great answer, an rba would probably handle the abuse the best but require you building them. If you go Carto tank try some 801s from ikenvape with a stealth adaptor in 3ohm. Throat hit can be obtained by density of vapor vs heat.

Sent from my Nexus 4

No More Analog

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
USA
Well pushing 7 volts through a LR cartomizer is the problem. I'm shocked they last an entire day. I honestly don't have a great answer, an rba would probably handle the abuse the best but require you building them. If you go Carto tank try some 801s from ikenvape with a stealth adaptor in 3ohm. Throat hit can be obtained by density of vapor vs heat.

Sent from my Nexus 4
I'm on 5v, not 7.

Antoly

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2011
Maynard MA, USA
5 volts with 1.25 Ohm makes 20 watts. This is way too much IMHO. Usual wattage with VV devices is around 10 watts. Every cartomizer has a limited lifespan as gunk accumulates on the coil eventually. I use 8 watts with 1.5 and 2.0 dual coils and they work for 4-5 days. If you use 20 watts this means your cartos vaporize twice more liquid and consequently they accumulate gunk twice faster, so two days lifespan seems natural for me. Of course, this calculation is very approximate, it all depends on how much e-liquid you consume daily and the kind of the liquid.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
I personally have not found a juice yet that didn't start tasting like burnt paper if I go over 4.3 volts. I use an eGo booster or an ego Twist depending if I'm vaping my e-pipe or my PV. holding between 3.7 and 4.2 brings the max amount of flavor+vapor. the higher the voltage, the more vapor and the less flavor. the lower the voltage the more flavor and less vapor.
I got tired of cleaning cartos every other day to keep them working well so I've switched to clearomizers. top atomizers mute the flavor a bit, but give a warmer vape. bottom atomizers have a slightly cooler vape, but more flavor.
hope this helps!

No More Analog

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
USA
Ok, I found the voltage/ohm/watt chart : http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-o4xY-hAT8...AbU/ymPC41xzoTE/s1600/VapingVoltage+Chart.jpg

My simple question then is this...what's the 'blindfold test' difference between a standard Riva, an eGo, or a 7V box mod, if you have their batteries and attys in a combination that will produce the same watts?

It seems like the 'sweet spot' is somewhere between 4.50 to 6 watts. So, does it really matter what mod/battery/atty/tank/whatever you're using?

I started with an eGo, then an Indulgence mod, a VV 7 volt box mod, and now the Woo mod.

All I want is too feel a full lung feeling and some throat/chest hit.
I use 24mg nicotine, and anywhere from 50 to 80 percent PG, depending on availability.

You'd think after 2+ years quitting cigarettes I'd be ok, but I still feel like I'm missing out, like I'm on the methadone-clinic version of cigarettes (not having nic fits, but not feeling fully satisfied either).

corruption42

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
In my own little world
If all you want is lung feeling and throat/chest hit -- you've got the right blend, but you're going about it the wrong way. You need something that not only drives the kind of wattage you're looking for, but also something that can TAKE that kind of wattage. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, your vape preferences would probably be best suited with a rebuildable atomizer of some kind -- the AGA-T+ is a widely available, fairly inexpensive 'Genesis' style atomizer, typically built with stainless steel mesh as the wick material. Since the entire assembly is stainless steel, with the exception of the coil, it can take a much higher range of heat/wattage -- and will produce incredibly prodigious clouds of vapor, chest and throat hit to boot. You'll simply never get what you're currently looking for out of cartomizers, you're likely burning the filler material within a few hours at best at the wattages you're pushing through them; they just aren't made for that kind of power.

No More Analog

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
USA
If all you want is lung feeling and throat/chest hit -- you've got the right blend, but you're going about it the wrong way. You need something that not only drives the kind of wattage you're looking for, but also something that can TAKE that kind of wattage. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, your vape preferences would probably be best suited with a rebuildable atomizer of some kind -- the AGA-T+ is a widely available, fairly inexpensive 'Genesis' style atomizer, typically built with stainless steel mesh as the wick material. Since the entire assembly is stainless steel, with the exception of the coil, it can take a much higher range of heat/wattage -- and will produce incredibly prodigious clouds of vapor, chest and throat hit to boot. You'll simply never get what you're currently looking for out of cartomizers, you're likely burning the filler material within a few hours at best at the wattages you're pushing through them; they just aren't made for that kind of power.
Thank you!
What's the learning curve for switching to that? I'm ignorant to tank systems, building things, etc.
Could you point me towards a simple setup? Do I need to just buy the atty and drip into it, or do they need tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread