2 years old nicotine concentrate, is it good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoniy

Nov 7, 2016
Hello guys,

I've been out from the hobby for a while and I have a question for you. I bought a 1L 7.2% PG based nicotine concentrate 2.5 years ago and I was using it for DIY. I don't know the exact quantities left but let's say it's half a bottle. Now I would like to use that nicotine for nic shots and save some money.

Even while I was using it I saw it started going darker color. I was storing it in a dry, dark and cool place (15-20 degrees Celsius). I didn't move the smaller quantity in a smaller bottle though and the air trapped inside probably was causing that effect. My question for you all is if that concentrate is safe to use at this time?

Thanks in advance for any opinions shared!

Regards,
Antoniy

Reactions: Izan

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@antoniy - If you find that it's not too peppery and you want to continue using it...I'd definitely split up the remaining 1/2L into several smaller bottles. If you fill them nearly to the top, that should help slow down or eliminate further oxidation. You might want to put all but 1 working bottle, in the freezer, too.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I second freezing to maintain the flavor and prevent oxidation. I learned the hard way with my first liter. I kept it away from light at room temperature and all was well until it was a year and a half old. Then, it started turning yellow. Toward the end of the second year it was brown with very strong throat hit. I ended up using it to kill fire ants. That worked well, BTW. It's been a year now and we have had a 90% reduction in fire ant mounds in the back yard. I've only seen one or two small hills lately and I treated them with OTC ant killer. :)

I have two liters in the freezer in 60ml and 240ml glass bottles. They've been water clear for the last 6 months. I've checked them once or twice. The glass bottles are wrapped in paper towel padding inside heavy duty ziplocks, well protected inside a cardboard box.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Even while I was using it I saw it started going darker color. I was storing it in a dry, dark and cool place (15-20 degrees Celsius). I didn't move the smaller quantity in a smaller bottle though and the air trapped inside probably was causing that effect. My question for you all is if that concentrate is safe to use at this time?

Time and Temperature are Definitely something to consider. But I also like to Consider what type of Container something is stored in.

Me, I wouldn't use it if it was Stored in a "Plastic" container. Because I just Don't what effect the Container May or May Not have had on the Nicotine Base.

But that's just Me.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Time and Temperature are Definitely something to consider. But I also like to Consider what type of Container something is stored in.

Me, I wouldn't use it if it was Stored in a "Plastic" container. Because I just Don't what effect the Container May or May Not have had on the Nicotine Base.

But that's just Me.

I agree. Clear glass is a must for me. Blue or brown bottles may be good for light protection, but you can't spot check the clarity of the nic unless it's clear. If it's in a box in the freezer the box provides a dark environment, IMO.

I have a 240ml bottle kept out for DIY. I need to split it into 60ml bottles and freeze all but one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread