20 Gauge GPlat Haywire! (Thoughts on "special" vape stuff?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Hey guys I've been a fan of GPlat for a while now, I wouldn't say I'm a fan, more like ADDICTED lol.

psuUJQa.png

I'm not saying that's it's 1 BILLION times better than kanthal and/or nichrome, because it's not, it's just a little better. However whenever I go "back" to my kanthal or nichrome I do feel a teensy difference. Basically, the only ACTUAL improvement I notice is that a much thicker gauge of the GPlat will heat up just as fast, if not faster than kanthal or nichrome 2 gauges thinner.

All it is to me, is more surface area heating up, faster. Which is awesome! Even more notably with this 20ga haywire too, I thought 22ga "elite" (lol whatever) was awesome, well this haywire is as thick as a paperclip, as moldable as clay, and heats up LIGHTNING FAST. I can do the super sub-ohm (or high wattage) builds that I love, and still have a frankly MASSIVE coil to spread out that fast, and intense heat! Here's some builds I've made since I received it.

Below is the first wider diameter (3/32nd") coil I've liked in a LONG time, I know that may be pretty tiny to most, but they often take longer than I like, or don't vape the way I want them too. But this one heats up just like my favorite 1/16th" micro-coils! Fast, and starts making alot of vapor quickly. The plus of this larger coil is a little extra flavor, and warmth.

(Before anyone says anything...YES I'm using the proper amp rated battery :lol:, I don't want to be lectured, I've studied up on battery chemistry long enough. (Sony VT 26650, 50amps continuous, capable of 100amps for 8 seconds easily.)) I DO NOT RECOMMEND THESE BUILDS UNLESS YOUR INFORMED. Damn good vapes though :).

FeUF1IL.png

Below is a 10 wrap dual micro-coil, fairly large 20ga coil (that's a 26650 atty too btw), and at a staggeringly tiny 0.06 ohms. It heats up like a light bulb, and has half an inch of vapor making coil!

JHlkxRh.png

THIS center-post has been my favorite for a while now though, I'm vaping on it as I type :).

8ZRV7D1.png

And finally here's my FIRST QUAD-COIL ever, I've built everything under the sun up until now, but I've never tackled a quad coil. And this thing is cloud competition worthy! (I'd know because I won one last week :2cool:.) AMAZING density and flavor too! (Video of performance below.) It just throws vapor and flavor effortlessly like a freakin' flamethrower!
Wx6TkH7.png

BUAMN4r.png

yAXEPWc.png

4EN2les.png
(Yes, it's safe, trust me.)
(By the way, DON'T buy this "Cotton Bacon", it's a total waste of money. I tried it just to see for 5$, apparently it's ready to go, excellent, and boiled cotton. Which it is boiled, but it's also clumpy, and doesn't wick as well as good'ol cotton balls, japanese cotton puts it to expensive shame lmao.)
LdKHwrw.png

Vsnbrga.png
(one wick for 2 coils)
cSdxLDU.png

(This airflow may have helped ALOT in the vapor production, and the winning of the cloud competition :p. 4 slots (originally 3x1/16th" holes, ground and joined into one slot.), and one 1/16th" hole 10mm away at a 45 degree angle, to induce a cyclone effect (and it works from what I can tell! There's a smooth turbulance when inhaling, and massive vapor as a product!)
K4nJ0Ta.png

After I hit the button it makes a plume the size of my head just by itself! :ohmy:

PAgGoAC.png

And here's the biggest amount of vapor I could catch by myself with my phone lol.
wodbEaM.png

(Video demonstration, sorry it's terribly filmed, blame apple :p.)

So what does ECF think of these "novelty products", I've had good and "meh" experiences, just wondering what you guys think?

I've heard alot of opinions stating that some of these are an "absolute waste of money", or they're just mislabeled items to be made more expensive etc. I respect that opinion, I've tried basically every "special wire" out there (hotwires, royal wire, flat wire/"vapowire" etc), and I can agree that most of them are basically nichrome with some additives, and perform just a hair better. This Gplat (haywire and 22ga) though truly is different, in that it's faster than anything I've tried, and worth the price to me ($25 for 15feet (ouch :cry:), but I actually go through way less because I love every build! lol so it tends to last me about 5 months or so, $5 a month for my vaping heaven.). I can MORE than understand that being ridiculous to some though, especially considering kanthal is 12 cents per foot, as opposed to $1.50 per foot! :facepalm:

As for "novelty cotton", I haven't tried many, but from what I can tell, it's an absolute, and shameful highway robbery :lol:. I'll gladly pay $15 for a 5 year supply of Kho Gen Do or Shiseido cotton, because it's consistent, absorbs a teensy bit faster, tasteless (not that cotton balls taste bad), and most importantly, I can cut my wicks to go because it's the perfect thickness all organized into one "makeup pad" (my girlfriend hates me). This bacon cotton not only is profitable to the "manufacturer" by 5,000,000% at $5 for a small ziploc bag, but it's not even that good, it's not bad, but it should be DAMN good! If your a germaphobe that's tired of boiling your cotton (which isn't necessary anyway, in fact you can leave behind moisture that can actually work against you), or simply don't like un-rolling your cotton ball, you know, because it's sooo haaaard :D, the BACON COTTON IS FOR YOU! It's got clumps of solid cotton pieces in it though, and although it is pretty uniform and ready to tear into strips, it's not consitently thick. It's more dense in some areas than others, and they shove alot into the bag so it ends up being sort of like a light brick. Not a fan! But I can see how someone might like it.

I can't think of anymore "special" vape equipment, such as "vaping specifically toe-nail/kanthal clippers", or anything like that. My favorite juice at the moment, is "Cloud Science: Alpha" by Teleos, and I thought that it was supposed to be just a "cloud competition" juice, and didn't expect much other than a cheap VG juice, but it's the best juice flavor ever created to me! :drool: It's 80VG/20PG, the thickest juice I've ever seen (even thicker than "100% VG" juices), produces gobs of vapor effortlessly, but the flavor, OH THE FLAVOR. It's a super rich, creamy strawberry, like a realistic strawberry jam, mixed with "spun sugar", and it tastes just like that. I have no words for it, so that's another plus in my book.

So what does ECF think? Anything like these wires, or "specialty wicking" etc. seem like a bad/good idea to you? Silly? Worth it? Completely awesome!?

Vape onwards ladies and gentleman!
:vapor:

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
Not my thing. Esp the cotton bacon.
That stuff has snake oil written all over it.

Im not even remotely a cloud chaser either. So I could perhaps see some value in the wire if I were.

slightly OT

One of my local shops is filled with kids that buy this stuff and fancy themselves as cloud chasers. The thing most of them havent a clue what they are doing. Its like they skimmed a RipTrippers vid and think all they need to do is build low and hope for the best. Builds are all wrong, terrible wicking technique, most of them are actually just smoking cotton because they are using drippers with tiny airholes. My favorite was this kid using some torn up no name protected 650 cell he said he got from a broken laser pointer.

The real kick is I can spank most of em with my single coil magma. They would probably poop their pants if they saw what a true cloud chasing rig (like OPs) could do.

SingedVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2014
Valdosta, Georgia, United States
I will say it simply and if I get a little heat from it oh well.

I don't trust Gplat.

The makers of GPlat have been asked on several occasions what this magical wire is made of, and as of yet the best they have given is "a combination of different metals". I would rather stick to something I trust like Kanthal (whose specifications and entire documentation is available to the public). Let it me say that I am no expert on metals and ores, which is exactly why I'm steering clear of it. It seems like a very soft flexible metal and I just don't trust that there isn't something potential poisonous in it. That being said... I am keeping my eye on it, and after it's been tested or at least revealed what's in it I would be glad to use it.

cracoucax

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
france
What parent says. You say you know all you need to know then show an ohm reader at .04 ?? There is no battery in earth that can sustain this. You should be hopeful for your mod voltage drop because without it you'd be vaping a short, for a very short time.
I'm not into lecturing others but you're a danger to yourself. I think you don't realize that .06 means half 0.1 ohm, it's also 10 times lower than .6 which is half an ohm...

Last edited:

cracoucax

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
france
That said i reckon your mod is using batteries linked in parallel, i suppose the amps of the batteries are added in this case which might make it ok for pulsing ?? But no even then that would allow you a 100A pulse max for VTC5, you're actually at 110 on a fresh battery. I suppose it won't stay more than half a sec at 4.2v though.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Not my thing. Esp the cotton bacon.
That stuff has snake oil written all over it.

Im not even remotely a cloud chaser either. So I could perhaps see some value in the wire if I were.

slightly OT

One of my local shops is filled with kids that buy this stuff and fancy themselves as cloud chasers. The thing most of them havent a clue what they are doing. Its like they skimmed a RipTrippers vid and think all they need to do is build low and hope for the best. Builds are all wrong, terrible wicking technique, most of them are actually just smoking cotton because they are using drippers with tiny airholes. My favorite was this kid using some torn up no name protected 650 cell he said he got from a broken laser pointer.

The real kick is I can spank most of em with my single coil magma. They would probably poop their pants if they saw what a true cloud chasing rig (like OPs) could do.

I really hate the "cloud chasing" term/category period, I hear what you mean brother. Since I started, it's always been about getting my setup to put out as much vapor as possible, as fast as possible. I know it sounds wierd (I think it stemmed from my first blucig dissapointment :lol:), but I just think it's "futuristic", or neat, or just plain how it's supposed to be (for me) to get a big breathe of thick vapor from a tiny little metal chamber on top :D.

Since I saw my first RDA, I've always had the thought "How can that much vapor possibly come out of that little thing, it's almost supernatural.". That might be an odd way to look at it, but that's honestly what I think of "chasing the clouds", other than the other awesome health benefits, and the flavor/nicotine that comes out of it.

I still have and love my magma as well brother, truly the best of all worlds atty, the thing is such a flavor (and vapor) machine. I remember when I was still smoking on and off, when I would vape shortly after smoking that day, my taste buds would be shot, I wasn't able to hardly taste the juice! (I love tasting and smelling again :). But the magma was the only atty that could cure that, it's dense flavor would get in there and straight up overpower the nicotine tongue lol. And like you said, it can make ALOT more vapor than people think, it all comes down to the builder, no matter the atty. If I build the magma with vapor in mind, it honestly does just as well as 90% of my other drippers, and still delivers the overwhelming flavor. I could easily use the magma for the rest of my life and still get my vapor fix lol, the only reason I don't use it 24/7 (I use it at least half of the week, most of the time when going to bed.) is because some of the others like the Tobh/Asmodus outdo it in vapor by just a tiny little bit, nothing significant. I think if they were to release version 2 with larger airflow, that's all anyone would ever buy for a long time lol.

I like Rip as a guy, I don't think HE deserves half the flack he gets, but like you said, I don't like the fact that "individuals" (edited for kindness) are actually able to watch his show :p. I think it's because it's too easy to just jump into hardcore vaping with one of his tutorials I guess? I mean, he's a careful guy, but I totally agree with you that many people watch him, and want to do exactly what he's doing, without learning every little thing that NEEDS to be learned.

For me, vaping is physics, I'm not saying I'm Stephen Hawking or anything, but I do have a passion for science, math, electrical engineering, and just learning how everything works in general. I actually ENJOYED learning how ohms law/circuits/current/airflow/amps work, vaping just happens to apply most of my nerdy passions:lol:. That's why, like you, it bugs me when you see "individuals" just wanting to chase clouds because it's a cool "club" almost now, and they are sacrificing a good vape to make it happen. (Your small airflow example was a perfect analogy :D).

For instance; a big Samoan guy I know was at this recent vape competition I won a few days ago, he's a really nice guy, but not the best learner (he's not stupid by any means, he just wants to get big vapor without actually grasping how to lmao. He just wants to be the king of vapor, now matter what it takes, for whatever reason he idolizes cloud chasing like it's part of his identity :facepalm:. BUT, he basically hasn't researched/learned anything other than how to read ohms, and make sure his battery has the amps (thank god).

He came in with a tugboat RDA with stock airholes (which are normally decent, but NOT for the build he had.). He had a dual 20ga, 0.1ohm micro-coil setup (which is pushing his vtc4 pretty hard, with cotton just packed into the coils and deck, like he was trying to pack for a vacation. When it came time to compete he filled the thing up until he saw it leak out the sides, later he blew out a pretty big cloud, kinda made a face that he didn't like it. On his second round, without filling up in-between, he did the silly locomotive thing (where you blow into your atty), which sprayed some loose juice out the sides and all over his mod (juice he would need soon lol), and did the biggest longest inhale I've ever seen someone do while vaping. Now I could tell just from experience (his small airholes, ridiculously packed and uneven cotton, and the insanely long and slow inhale he too, about 5 seconds in, he had to have been burning his cotton by now. By the end of the inhale, he had that terrible dry-hit face, like you just drank some old milk on accident, and he let out a pretty big (not as big as that inhale should've made) YELLOW cloud. I'd never seen a discolored cloud before due to wick abuse :lol:. The poor guy got 5th (out of 7), it was a pretty darn big cloud, and it was one of the densest I've ever seen, but half of it was good'ol cotton, mmm! I saw him make his way over to the counter where everyone was standing, and I just had to see the damage, so I went and sat next to him asking "Did it go dry on you?, and he said, "Yeah...bad too.". He lifted up his top cap, and it was a TERRIBLE sight, like I said, literally half of his cotton was part of that cloud. The coil that had more cotton on it's side had completely burned in half where the coils were, and there was a black to dark brown ring around that coil, even though it wasn't even touching, it was burned that bad from a few mm's away! lmao poor guy. The other side which was more sensibly wicked, had the same black lining inside the coils as the other, but it hadn't burnt completely in half, it emanated from black to dark brown to yellow away from that coil, it was a wick holocaust XD.

We both had a laugh, and joked about it. But I was still astonished deep down, that someone who was that inexperienced, wanted to be a cloud "champion" so bad that they were willing to inhale cotton for 10 seconds :facepalm:. He's coincidentally a big Rip fan too (so am I kinda, but I don't worship the dude, he just reviews the expensive stuff no one has lol), I can tell he was enticed by the cloud chasing fad, and wants to be a part of it so bad for whatever reason, but doesn't want to learn anything about the art!

I feel like most "cloud chasers" basically see their rig as a paintball gun, weird analogy I know, but I used to run a paintball course, and most paintballers are obsessed about upgrading their guns to shoot faster, harder, longer, quieter, hold more ammo etc, and they're just expensive toys. That's all what most of these clouders think as well I bet my bottom dollar on it. For me my atty is a hobby, a nicotine and flavor delivery system that suits me best, and something I want to learn in and out and master. For those guys, it's a toy that they want to be better than other clouders toys, they want it to make more fog, faster than their competitors. It seems really silly to vape purely for the want for big vapor, and not want the flavor, nicotine, or health/social benefits that come with it. Hell, the main reason I like big vapor, is because the nicotine hit feels smoother when your getting ALOT of LOWER nicotine juice. As opposed to a smaller amount of 32mg, that's the main reason, nicotine feel.

I literally think of it similar to drinker alot of beer, over several shots of hard liquor, it's just smoother (although I love vodka and whiskey too :D.). I ended up typing waaay too much holy crap. In a nutshell though, I agree, I wish "cloud chasers" wasn't a term and/or "category", and I wish the cloud chasers would do it properly and put some effort into it.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
I will say it simply and if I get a little heat from it oh well.

I don't trust Gplat.

The makers of GPlat have been asked on several occasions what this magical wire is made of, and as of yet the best they have given is "a combination of different metals". I would rather stick to something I trust like Kanthal (whose specifications and entire documentation is available to the public). Let it me say that I am no expert on metals and ores, which is exactly why I'm steering clear of it. It seems like a very soft flexible metal and I just don't trust that there isn't something potential poisonous in it. That being said... I am keeping my eye on it, and after it's been tested or at least revealed what's in it I would be glad to use it.

I respect that brother :D, I've heard that ALOT too. Gplat (Vapinology) actually released what it's NOT made of, as in proving that it's not actually dangerous via FaceBook a few weeks ago. Here it is:

https://www.facebook.com/gplat.wires/posts/1438504559754088

I remember arguing with EVERYONE the entire time this has been an issue, that there isn't anything dangerous in Gplat (and I was right hehehe :p). I'm really interested in chemistry, biological sciences (that's my major actually), metal forgery/welding, and just science in general, so I know there are ways to find out if something is harmful when inhaled without the company releasing it.

Firstly, I tested it myself (not super-scientifically) with a decent PMI gun (Positive Material Identifier, I have this because I live in alaska, and mine for gold for fun every now and then). It's basically a few tools combined with a metal detector to tell you exactly what it's made of. It told me exactly what it's made of (basically a nichrome blend with an unnoticable amount of manganese.

Manganese is what everyone was freaking out about, and there's just no way, with the properties of gplat, how much vapers would be around/inhaling it, how much heat it would be under, it was IMPOSSIBLE for it to be harmful.

And then they later confirmed that, the OSHA deemed it super safe basically, welders are around micrograms of manganese under 10x the temperature, using pure manganese and even they don't get carcinogenic or ill health effects unless it's extreme. Gplat is less that 1% of the *permissible managnese limit, which is microscopic in itself, basically meaning even if you were to inhale a dry burn all day, you'd only be getting 1% of whats considered dangerous in Gplat, it's harmless to the bone.

I had such trouble trying to convince people of that, but they all had it in their head that it was laced with battery acid or something :lol:, vapers are some of the most worrisome people on the planet I found out. But again, I respect that, we quit smoking to vape.

I also considered how *I* felt while vaping Gplat, and the answer is ridiculous happy and healthy because its awesome! No sore throat/lungs, headaches, runny nose, etc., and I'm an EXTREME case scenario vaper lol. If anybody would be sick it'd be me. It's totally fine to vape Gplat, a company wouldn't willingly put something on the market that would make people sick, or give them cancer, they'd be ruined for life.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
did some numbers on your builds
at fresh/full voltage (4.2)

.06 dual = 298W at 71A
.04 quad 465W at 110A

and where did you find those batteries at??

Didn't I say I'm all knowing when it comes to amps and battery chemistry? And that I did NOT want to hear it?

I'm using a dual (parallel) mechanical 26650 mod I made myself. Using the best of course, 2 Sony SE26650VT's, which if you feel the need to check me, have a continuous rating of 50amps.

If you know the equation for a batteries pulse discharge rate, considering the batteries are IMR's, have 2600mAh capacity, and are at full voltage of 4.2, they can technically handle 120amps for 8 long seconds. Believe me, like I said, I know what I'm doing, and my batteries don't so much as get tepid warm.

If you want to know where I found them, they pretty much don't exist anymore, I'm glad I got 4 while they lasted (from a local vape lounge in Alaska). If you looking for a good equivalent though, I just got 4 Panasonic CGR's in, and they kick just as much ayuss, and they even have a tiny 50 extra mAh, but I'll take it!

When people get astonished or worried about my vapes, I feel a certain sense of accomplishment :lol:. It means that my builds actually worry some, and to me it's just everyday vaping. (Safe vaping though, believe it or not I put a 125amp fuse into my box mod, so that in case of a short/thermal runaway situation, it'll immediately blow the fuse and cut the batteries away from the circuit, so I won't blow my face off lol, my mod will just stop working! :D

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
That said i reckon your mod is using batteries linked in parallel, i suppose the amps of the batteries are added in this case which might make it ok for pulsing ?? But no even then that would allow you a 100A pulse max for VTC5, you're actually at 110 on a fresh battery. I suppose it won't stay more than half a sec at 4.2v though.

Where is baditude at a time like this?

Bingo! You figured it out almost, you can see the answer above, but I am indeed using two Sony VT's (50 amp continuous, 120amp 8 second pulse (which I RARELY use anyway, in my all day vapes I stay within continuous discharge levels.) I don't use 18650's anymore that often, and dual VTC5's would be capable of this build (although I wouldn't do it). VTC5's (&4's) are both capable of 60amp pulses, for a slightly shorter time.

IF YOUR NOT GOING TO STAY ON TOPIC, OR PROVIDE ANY INPUT OTHER THAN SNARK, AND PRETENDING TO BE THE SAFETY POLICE, PLEASE LEAVE THIS THREAD. I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING, AND AM ***WELL*** WITHIN THE SAFETY RANGE OF THE POWER SOURCE I'M USING.
Please stay on topic, and quit being fun-suckers. If my build offends you in anyway, I apologize, but it's just a temporary cloud competition build, not an ADV. PLUS, I even said " I DO NOT RECOMMEND THESE BUILDS UNLESS YOU ARE INFORMED.

Baditude is a great contributor to this site regarding safety especially, and if you want to go get him, he'll just verify that my build is perfectly within safety limits (by 10amps exactly). Trust me, none of my batteries never even get warm, I know you guys are good at double-checking with ohmslawcalculator.com, but I can do that mess in my head, it's childs play, and I'm just having fun on a "whacky" build.

Hope I didn't come off as cross :D. I would, however, rather have some actual input, rather than you two worrying about something that isn't a problem.

Does this actually make you guys mad?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread