2009 Snus Crop - With Photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
I decided in the spring to attempt to grow tobacco for the first time, in order to eventually be able to make my own snus. I had some setbacks and also planted far too late, and wasn't able to get the plants in the ground until 7/1/09. Two of the original plants survived. That's ok, because my intention was to get my feet wet, learn what is and is not possible, and learn what I needed to know about growing tobacco along the way.

Here is a picture of the Virginia Gold. That's my size 12 shoe in this photo, which should provide some perspective on the actual size of the leaves:

As you can imagine, I am VERY excited about the upcoming 2010 growing season. I harvested this plant and the other plant (Turkish) yesterday, so the leaves are hanging for the 90 days air-curing, after which time, pasteurization will commence.

It's just a matter of time before I will insure I no longer have to pay ANY Federal or State tobacco taxes and governmental interference in my tobacco usage, such as the PACT silliness, will no longer affect my life in any way, shape or form (assuming my GYO/MYO snus doesn't end up tasting like Level or Camel SNUS!).

Last edited:

sheilalynn

ECF Veteran
Oh wow, big leaves! I bought some tobacco seeds recently so I'll have them ready to go in the spring since I wanted to try my hand at growing some too. I bought 4 different kinds, 1 that was recommended for cigars, another for snuff/snus, one that's specifically good for us northern growers, and another one that just is said to put out alot of leaves. Just thought it might be another fun hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread