20700/21700 mods. Are they worth the hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
The Tauren by ThunderHead Creations is tapered to 24mm at the top. But if you are literally changing the batteries every other time you go outside to vape, then IMO maybe you might be doing something very wrong.

It's not like they're dead after every other time, I just find my builds very unsatisfying below 3.9V and have one hell of a dopamine problem so I've decided that it's worth the annoyance of battery changes...but of course, if I can find the money for that device then one less annoyance would be great!

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
That's understandable. To some people that extra 5mm height makes a difference. 5mm is very negligible to me, so I don't mind it.
I don't mind the size, I mind buying batteries all over again. Yes, they last a little longer, but mods are considerably bigger. And one of the fears is of the 26650 like flop. They became so popular, yet sag on 26650 was so pronounced they were useless.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I don't mind the size, I mind buying batteries all over again. Yes, they last a little longer, but mods are considerably bigger. And one of the fears is of the 26650 like flop. They became so popular, yet sag on 26650 was so pronounced they were useless.
That too is understandable. But with mooch's tests, his charts show that some of these 2x700s are true performers. His charts show the sag is very low with some of these cells, but offer longer run time and higher amp limits. With less sag, more mah, and more amps, it is hard to deny that these batteries very well look like they may become the new 18650s over time.

I started back up with vaping at a good time, coincidentally. These cells were just gaining traction when I needed to restock on new batteries. If I were already heavily invested in 18650s, I would most likely not have bought any 2x700s yet either.

And, personally, I couldn't say 3mm x 5mm more is considerably bigger for a mod. Noticable, but not a huge difference in size.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
It's not like they're dead after every other time, I just find my builds very unsatisfying below 3.9V and have one hell of a dopamine problem so I've decided that it's worth the annoyance of battery changes...but of course, if I can find the money for that device then one less annoyance would be great!
Dopamine problems can often be treated with WTA juices, but if the problem is first and foremost just an unsatisfying vape, then I would suggest a more aggressive coil build before anything else, and lower the nic strength of the juice. The Samsung 30T hits harder and allows you to build to lower ohms without going above the CDR of the battery so that's why it opens up a whole new set of possibilities.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
Dopamine problems can often be treated with WTA juices, but if the problem is first and foremost just an unsatisfying vape, then I would suggest a more aggressive coil build before anything else, and lower the nic strength of the juice. The Samsung 30T hits harder and allows you to build to lower ohms without going above the CDR of the battery so that's why it opens up a whole new set of possibilities.

I'm an ex junkie with psychotic depression, my dopamine problem is very deep-set so wta juice will not remotely solve it but thanks for the advice. When I had episodes, prior to finding the right medication, it was basically 2-4 months of suicidality and an inability to feel pleasure followed by a sudden burst of dopamine causing schizophrenic-like symptoms - hallucinations, delusional/paranoid magical thinking. Being at the tail end of a major depressive episode this lead to extreme self-destructive behaviour, which in turn made me feel guilt that left me wavering on the verge of another full-blown episode for the next few months. I'm on Venlafaxine now though and I've not gone anywhere near that low since, but my "normal" is rather flatlined. Regardless, it really has saved my life. I don't think I ever considered it possible that I'd survive long enough to have health problems from smoking prior to starting Venlafaxine but within a few months I suddenly realised I'm in it for the long haul now and switched to vaping :)

The increase in mah, cdr and decrease in internal resistance are all the reasons why I'm tempted, it's just my shallow desire for the right aesthetics that keeps me with 24mm 18650 mech mods. Having been recommended the Tauren for this purpose I think I might be sold haha :)

Reactions: dripster

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Mooch's test results for the iJoy 26650 clearly show that the voltage sag on it is actually nowhere nearly as pronounced as you are trying to suggest. I use them in this thing:

Hagermann The 99.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Susaz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread