ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
28 gauge = vape

24 gauge = if any

:lol:

seriously, the 24 gauge coil is going to be massive. it might not fit in an atty and might not get hot enough to vaporize anything. a 1.5Ω 26 gauge coil is nearly useless on a mech. @ 1 Ω, 26 gauge takes forever to heat up. @ 0.8Ω, 26 gauge takes a short pause before it produces vapor.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Kanthal A1 Resistance Wire (AWG 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 33 & 34 - 3 Feet)

Resistance Wire Kanthal A1. Used to make you coil(s). Approximately 3 feet.

Available in 7 gauges for varying resistance levels:

AWG 28: Low Resistance (0.44 ohms/inch)
AWG 30: Low Resistance (0.70 ohms/ inch)
AWG 32: Low - Standard Resistance (1.1 ohms/ inch)
AWG 33: Low - Standard - High Resistance (1.39 ohms/inch)
AWG 34: Standard - High Resistance (1.76 ohms/inch)

Gauge (AWG) Average Wire
Diameter (in.) Feet per Pound Resistance
ohms/ft. @ 68¡F
16 0.0508 159 0.324
26 0.0159 1626 3.31
27 0.0142 2040 4.15
28 0.0126 2609 5.27
29 0.0113 3226 6.55
30 0.01 4142 8.36
32 0.008 6473 13.1
33 0.0071 8217 16.6
34 0.0063 10437 21.1

They don't list the 24 guage ohms/inch, but I'm guesstimating based on the other numbers, the 24 guage will need to be twice as long as the 26 guage to get the same resistance.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
OK guys another day another question. So say you take 28 gauge and make a coil that comes out to let's say 1.5 ohms. Now you take 24 gauge and wrap it around the same size drill bit and make it come out to 1.5 ohms. Explain the differences in the vape if any

Good question, LOL. I use 27 gauge Kanthal for all my coils these days. I like the fact that it's thick wire which is physically stable and I can beat on the coil without pushing it out of shape like when I replace the cotton after dry burning the coil or take out the SS wick to clean it and then put it back in the same coil. It also takes a lot of heat energy without melting. I only rebuild RBAs and RDAs I use on mechanical mods, so if you're using clearos that's a whole other ballgame and if you're using regulated mods that's even worse unless they're high power mods like DNA20's and up. The basics are the same, but you won't have the ability to put the amount of power (watts) into it that you can with mech mods and rebuildable attys.

I run Genesis attys at about 0.6 ohms (avg ~21 watts), drippers at about 0.5 ohms (avg ~25 watts) and a Kayfun at around 0.9 ohms (avg ~15 watts) 'cause they just work better at less power :). I tried the Genny with thinner wire and it didn't work for me. Some people appreciate Gennys at lower power, but not many. I suspect I could use 24 gauge wire easily with that. I also think I could use 24 gauge wire in my Trident dripper just fine. I would not try it in a Kayfun type though because I know it would not work well.

It wouldn't work well because I couldn't put enough power into it to get the coil to heat up hot enough, fast enough for a good vape. The air flow is not fast enough either and neither is the standard juice wicking ability to support it, unless I would open up the juice channels (which I have done ;)). Thicker wire just needs more power, or watts, to make it vape right. In a device that can't take that power, it's just a waste IMO.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
OMG people
the question poised (let me clarify) : given two working coils, with the only difference being the wire gage (and obviously length) how does the vape differ?

I think there's going to be an optimal gauge for a particular setup.

So if your two working coils are both smaller gauge than the optimal then the bigger gauge would vape better

On a big dripper system with a 30 to 50 watt power source, the optimal gauge will be thicker than on an eGo battery setup running at 5 to 10 watts

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
OMG people
the question poised (let me clarify) : given two working coils, with the only difference being the wire gage (and obviously length) how does the vape differ?

Thicker wire at a length adjusted to make the same resistance and with the same watts applied has more surface area, will take longer to heat up and the vapor will be cooler. When you take your finger off the button the coil will stay hot longer.

That's the simple answer. However what you actually experience in vape difference will depend on a lot of other variables too. I have not experimented with just the one variable of gauge change so I can't say exactly what happens with a certain atty at a certain power level with this one change.

I have messed around enough to know that the devil is in the details and it does not always go as planned ;)

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
bambloo!™;12763900 said:
I prefer 24ga over 28, the vape is way more intense, although I definitely am not aiming for 1.5 ohms...ever :p
I usually do single/dual super nanos with 10 wraps each over syringe tip.
Or dual 6 wraps over a 1/8" bit.
It heats up almost instantaneously.
Vape safe :)

I think I know what you mean by a nano coil, but what would be a super nano.
And what ohms do you aim for with 24 gauge?

ArcherB

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
United States
I purchased a six foot, 24 gauge wire, wrapped a perfect coil around a drill bit, screwed it into my Russian 91% clone, Hooked it up to my SVD and checked the ohms. It read 0.4, and of course, would not fire. So, I pulled it off and made another with a LOT more wraps and checked again; 0.8 ohms. This would fire. I loaded a wick, added juice and let her rip.
Nothing.
Cranked up the power and tried again...
Nothing.
Maxed out the SVD at 15 watts and fired up by my ear. After about 2 seconds, I heard a sizzle. I hit it... it was weak vapor and burned.

My conclusion is that any APV is simply not going to have the power to push this thing. I'm taking the wire back tomorrow and swapping it out for 28 or 30 gauge.

Seylvape85

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I almost exclusively use 24gauge now. 6 wraps around a 3/32 bit = .27-.28ohm

Fire it on my mech mod (sony vtc5 batteries). Almost instant vapor. You can see it still steaming after a hit. I usually let go of the button and still inhale for a second to cool everything down faster. My cotton never burns cause #1 I'm using a dripper and monitor if it needs more liquid. #2. The 3/32 diameter helps with the wick not drying up so fast.

Now..When I receive my new Psyclone Mod and turn it up to 5volts and push 80-90watts...the 24 gauge is going to keep its form like a champ and going to spew the vapor :). I might go to a 1/18 diameter coil (.32-.34ohm) just to help with wicking at such high volts.

I've done the twisted 28gauge builds, .09 flat ribbon wire, 30 gauge, and when I first started out 32gauge for my protank (gave the 32 gauge away because I had no use for that after a week of messing with it :)... 24 gauge on my Mech in a dripper is the best performing wire (Flavor & vapor) I've experienced. 1/8th holes will cut it on a mech...but on a 120watt device, I already know I'm going to need to increase my airflow or have a scorching hot vape!

schuff

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2013
Dickson, TN
1/8th holes will cut it on a mech...but on a 120watt device, I already know I'm going to need to increase my airflow or have a scorching hot vape!

I also vape at 0.3 and below all day every day. Trust me when I say the two best drippers right now are the Igo-M or the Tobh. They are designed for guys like us and are awesome.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
I too drip most of the time, and found out I like 26g better than the 24g I was using..my brother suggested I try parallel 26g with 6 wraps on a 3mm bit which read .17 ohms for dual coils. Close to the .15 ohms for the 24g..anyway this build is one if the best I've tried yet..instantly heating up and because it covers more of the cotton I get a thicker vape.. Very enjoyable [emoji39]
9d66c625be36f016b0516d5d6878d82b.jpg

from Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread