igetcha

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2008
UK
www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
hi all,

after seeing a thread on the ECF forum where a guy had sent his GGTS away to be gold plated, i was inspired enough to want to do the same with some of my vaping gear.

i looked at sending it away, but in the end i thought i might as well just buy my own gold plating machine as it would probably work out cheaper in the long run! lol

anyway, i received the kit today and after practising on a few coins and a spoon i decided to tackle my Bulli A2-T..........and here are the results!

1.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

not bad for a beginner i thought! lol :D

more bling to follow! ;)

cheers

scott

igetcha

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2008
UK
www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
yeah, thats the one i got i think........it is a relatively simple process and the solution seems to go a long way so i guess it could be quite profitable

only downside is that aluminium cant be plated........well it can, but its a difficult process that is recommended only for someone with a lot of experience :(

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
yeah, thats the one i got i think........it is a relatively simple process and the solution seems to go a long way so i guess it could be quite profitable

only downside is that aluminium cant be plated........well it can, but its a difficult process that is recommended only for someone with a lot of experience :(

Very nice...has that been polished...it looks more like gold color anodizing on aluminum until its polished to have a reflective shine.

I think aluminum has to be etched with an acid...then nickle plated first...then gold plated doesnt it?

igetcha

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2008
UK
www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
Very nice...has that been polished...it looks more like gold color anodizing on aluminum until its polished to have a reflective shine.

I think aluminum has to be etched with an acid...then nickle plated first...then gold plated doesnt it?

hi mate,

the only polishing i gave it was with this special compound stuff that you have to use straight after the plating process.......but it has come out a very rich and vibrant gold colour with a mirror like finish!

ive just finished plating my Provari, and although it has come out looking good its a very different gold effect to the Bulli........its not as vibrant looking and has more of a matt finish

i think that this is because the steel was a matt (satin) finish and im led to believe that the more polished the metal is prior to plating then the shinier / richer the gold will appear

this is a pic taken via my phone......so not quite as fancy as the Bulli pics, lol

d0acc27f-bf79-49fd-8763-704a2b320118.jpg

it looks like its more of a copper in the pic, but the colour seems to change depending on the way light is reflected off it........as you can see, its a completely different colour to the Bulli! lol

and yeah, i think that is basically the process for aluminium.......but you also have to time the treatments quite specifically according to the colour changes during the treatments

i may try it out one day, but definitely need to do some more research on aluminium plating 1st! lol

cheers

scott

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
Yeah...unlike painting that fills any irregularities in the surface this is basically just adding material equally to it duplicating the surface. Polishing just levels off the high spots. Still looks great....and your right...pictures can alter the looks completely.

I like matte finishes better anyway...try taking a wire brush to one before plating and give it a brushed finish...that would be cool.

It will only get better the more you get in to it...good luck!!

igetcha

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2008
UK
www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
Looks cool, scott, but not as good as the GGs did

totally agree......that GGTS looked amazing!!

@Hambone68

the actual plating of the Bulli took less than a minute.......but then with all the prep, pre treatments, after treatments and final polish i guess it took about 20 - 30 minutes? because the parts are small it was pretty difficult to do all the pre polishing and after polishing side of things, but the actual plating was simple as i just attached an electrode and then dunked each component straight into the gold solution ;)

the Provari took a lot longer as i had to be more careful due to all the electronics inside and masking off the atomiser end cap so it stays a silver colour. the polishing side of things was easier, but the actual plating was pretty tough as it was not possible to soak it in the solution (one because of the electronics, and two because i dont have enough solution to cover it)
so instead i have to brush plate it which is where you attach swabbing to the electrode, dip that in the gold solution and then brush it on.........with all the prep etc etc i guess i spent a good hour doing the Provari

cheers

scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread