26650 Batteries: Why Are There Only Off Brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I think that you overestimate the number of vapers and underestimate the cost involved in making a new battery factory specifically for a "vape" battery. It would not be cost effective.
Yeah probably. I know a battery factory is a huge expense (probably like $50M easy). But I am probably missing out on the numbers of vapers who use external batteries. As I was shocked to learn that pod users greatly outnumber mod users. :?:

Reactions: Baditude

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Tesla puts over 7000 of these cells in one car. Tool manufacturers will put 6-10 in each battery pack, and most construction workers have at least 2-5 of these packs on hand at any given time, and replace then every few months. Vapers are a drop in the bucket compared to these numbers. How many vapers does it take to buy up the number of cells ONE car holds? These companies are going where the money is, and rightfully so.

If aspire cares so much, why have they not came up with a safer cell design that isn't prone to venting when there is a slight tear on the part of the battery we put the most wear on? They don't care about that, they care about the money, and that video you reference is simply an effective infomercial for them.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Tesla puts over 7000 of these cells in one car. Tool manufacturers will put 6-10 in each battery pack, and most construction workers have at least 2-5 of these packs on hand at any given time, and replace then every few months. Vapers are a drop in the bucket compared to these numbers. How many vapers does it take to buy up the number of cells ONE car holds? These companies are going where the money is, and rightfully so.
All true, but Tesla has short range and you have to return home to recharge for hours. Not really ready for prime time I don't think. And replacing those 7000 cells is half of the cost of the vehicle. :(

If aspire cares so much, why have they not came up with a safer cell design that isn't prone to venting when there is a slight tear on the part of the battery we put the most wear on? They don't care about that, they care about the money, and that video you reference is simply an effective infomercial for them.
Oh really? I've looked and I can't find any Aspire cell ever venting. Why did you find one?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
All true, but Tesla has short range and you have to return home to recharge for hours. Not really ready for prime time I don't think. And replacing those 7000 cells is half of the cost of the vehicle. :(

Oh really? I've looked and I can't find any Aspire cell ever venting. Why did you find one?
If I had one, I'm sure i could get it to vent with a clipping of a coil leg and minimal effort, just like any other battery with this design, regardless of manufacturer. Aspire batteries are not exempt from failure as you seem to portray. You dont see reports of it since there are so few people that use them compared to the big 4 battery users. And just because you have not seen it online, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

And my point about Tesla was that they have bought more batteries already, even if they have not reached their prime, than all the vapers have. That is why these companies don't put effort into marketing these for vapers. The effort would net little to no profit margin compared to their existing customers.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
If I had one, I'm sure i could get it to vent with a clipping of a coil leg and minimal effort, just like any other battery with this design, regardless of manufacturer. Aspire batteries are not exempt from failure as you seem to portray. You dont see reports of it since there are so few people that use them compared to the big 4 battery users. And just because you have not seen it online, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
No seriously. I never found one. All I need is one example to tell me they don't have all of the answers yet. Drilling holes in it, crushing them, testing under load with an air temp of 85°C and nothing happens sounds really impressive to me. :)

• Optimistic
Reactions: Zaryk

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Good to know. But what are they? If they rate at continuous, at what temperature? Sure you might find a 18650 out there somewhere that can do 40A continuous. But at what temp? 200°C perhaps? :shock:

And I believe vapers need a reliable pulse rating too. Aspire uses 10s/on 5s/off that sounds reasonable to me. Others use something else. That doesn't help much at all. Since they almost never mention cell temperature (outside of the cell jacket).

Safety standards don’t determine ratings, just safety. Please, read them. They address crushing and other tests that all the cells from Samsung, Sony, etc., have passed.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Good to know. But what are they? If they rate at continuous, at what temperature? Sure you might find a 18650 out there somewhere that can do 40A continuous. But at what temp? 200°C perhaps? :shock:

And I believe vapers need a reliable pulse rating too. Aspire uses 10s/on 5s/off that sounds reasonable to me. Others use something else. That doesn't help much at all. Since they almost never mention cell temperature (outside of the cell jacket).
    Pulse ratings seem to be a good thing but thy can be unsafe. They don’t address what happens if there is a mod malfunction or accidental button press with a mech...a huge oversight.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I call BS. Samsung makes cells used in their own cellphones for Pete's sake. Or are you talking just about 18650 and other cylinder shaped cells? Yes Samsung, LG, Sony, and Panasonic/Sanyo does this for those. But this doesn't include everybody else.

Tony owns Aspire, for example. Tony bought a controlling interest at Yongdeli to manufacture cells for vaping and not for battery packs. I don't question why he didn't trust Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic/Sanyo or anybody else to manufacturing cells for vaping and just rewrap them. To be frank, I don't completely trust them either. As they don't care about making cells safe for vaping anyway.

In PBusardo's video, Aspire crushed a small sample of a run. I didn't understand what I believe what Kathy said, but it they crush them close to halfway flat. Did she say 10,000K grams of pressure? That is like a truck driving over it and it didn't catch fire or anything. Then in another test they drill a hole right through the cell and no fire or anything. And they test them under load with an air temp of 85°C. Pretty darn impressive if you ask me. Makes me feel they are headed in the right direction. :)

If you are going to call BS then you need to be prepared before doing so.

The batteries used in any phone are protected battery packs. Just because they might only have a single cell does not mean they aren’t a pack with integrated protection electronics and a hard plastic shell for physical protection. Your BS call is shattered.

ANY round cell we use, of any size, was designed for use only is a protected battery pack and the datasheets show that. Now, some companies have decided that they are untouchable legally and are willing to take the financial risk by saying their cells are somehow designed for vaping but they cannot be. They are not any different from every other round cell. A chemistry change means nothing. It’s the top contact structure and can that determine all of this.

Those cells are marketed for vaping, certainly, but there is nothing different about them from any other round battery.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    What worries me is the 26650 mods coming out with rubber sleeve adapters for use with 18650. How hard is it for an 18650 to shift if the mod is dropped and create a dual post contact at the positive terminal, especially if there's a cracked wrap involved? The sleeves look like they only cover the center section of the cell. I'm hoping that the sleeve is hard rubber, not soft.

I have a GeekVape Aegis on the way from a Chinese seller. I think I'll buy a couple of 26650 cells for exclusive use in that mod instead of using it with the 18650 sleeve adapter. I don't have it yet, but I'm thinking twice about using 18650 with that mod or even 20700/21700.

Last edited:
    Reactions: BillW50

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    What worries me is the 26650 mods coming out with rubber sleeve adapters for use with 18650. How hard is it for an 18650 to shift if the mod is dropped and create a dual post contact at the positive terminal, especially if there's a cracked wrap involved? The sleeves look like they only cover the center section of the cell. I'm hoping that the sleeve is hard rubber, not soft.

I have a GeekVape Aegis on the way from a Chinese seller. I think I'll buy a couple of 26650 cells for exclusive use in that mod instead of using it with the 18650 sleeve adapter. I don't have it yet, but I'm thinking twice about using 18650 with that mod or even 20700/21700.
    I have used 18650 with the Aegis before. I found using the sleeve near the top will keep it from sliding around. And the negative end isn't a problem. If you use 20700/21700 with them and you didn't get the Aegis Kit, you have to buy the 2x700 caps separately. I think I paid 3 bucks apiece at 3avape. Need to sign in for that price. Oh I just checked, they are out of stock right now. :(

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I have used 18650 with the Aegis before. I found using the sleeve near the top will keep it from sliding around. And the negative end isn't a problem. If you use 20700/21700 with them and you didn't get the Aegis Kit, you have to buy the 2x700 caps separately. I think I paid 3 bucks apiece at 3avape. Need to sign in for that price. Oh I just checked, they are out of stock right now. :(

I ordered mine from Efun.top for $29.95. I'm sure that price had no extras included. Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered it because it was cheap for a 26650 capable mod. I'll probably order a couple of 26650s for it and use it that way.

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    @Mooch

Here's my dual 26650 tube mech. It is an authentic copper Broadside called The 99, which is a collaboration between Vapergate and the manufacturer of the original Broadside, BJ Box Mods (not "Broadside Mods", as that is just the brand name that they're using). So The 99 is the Broadside's and the Admiral's biggest brother, and that only comes in copper. I own both the regular edition of The 99 and the limited edition that's hand engraved by Mathew Hagermann (famous artist from New York who goes by the name of blksun03 on Instagram). Of the limited edition, only 3 are in existence. I paid 795 Euros for mine (~$930 excl. shipping from the USA to Europe). I vape on it at .18 ohms with a pair of iJoy 26650 batteries. I don't have to tell you that iJoy are an "off brand", and that .18 ohms on a stacked mech is considerably above the CDR for these batteries.

What really baffles me, though, is that every time a discussion about 26650 batteries pops up, nobody except you and me seems to know that the iJoy 26650 is the only 26650 that performs similar to the best performing 18650s due to the low internal resistance it has. And that hardly anyone anywhere seems to understand I'm NOT going to let accidental button presses happen, because, despite the iJoy brand is off, I don't aspire my face to be blown (equally) off, let alone blow high caliber art like this (also equally) off the face of the Earth. :laugh:

Hagermann The 99.jpg

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    @Mooch

What really baffles me, though, is that every time a discussion about 26650 batteries pops up, nobody except you and me seems to know that the iJoy 26650 is the only 26650 that performs similar to the best performing 18650s due to the low internal resistance it has. And that hardly anyone anywhere seems to understand I'm NOT going to let accidental button presses happen, because, despite the iJoy brand is off, I don't aspire my face to be blown (equally) off, let alone blow high caliber art like this (also equally) off the face of the Earth. :laugh:

I would like to hear Mooch opinion to that, but I have some problems hearing someone is using in a mech Mod 2 Chinese manufactured batteries (it does not matter, how good they are as a single battery) in parallel or in serial.
    For safety reasons I would always use in such mech mod 2 LiFePo4 26650 batteries (A123 Systems etc.).
    With no electric regulation mech mods require 2 single batteries, that match to each other. I doubt, if those iJoy batteries can deliver such safety?!

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    I would always use in such mech mod 2 LiFePo4 26650 batteries (A123 Systems etc.).
    I love to find some LiFePo4 cells. Since I use regulated mods, can't think any of mine would work with 26650 LiFe. But I have 16 mods that uses 18650 and they would work fine with LiFe cells. Just having a hard time finding some. Google wasn't much help. :(

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    I would like to hear Mooch opinion to that, but I have some problems hearing someone is using in a mech Mod 2 Chinese manufactured batteries (it does not matter, how good they are as a single battery) in parallel or in serial.
    For safety reasons I would always use in such mech mod 2 LiFePo4 26650 batteries (A123 Systems etc.).
    With no electric regulation mech mods require 2 single batteries, that match to each other. I doubt, if those iJoy batteries can deliver such safety?!
    I know Mooch rates the iJoy 26650 to 30A. He wrote:
    At 30A continuous the temperature rose to 77°C. This is just below the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating at its true rating.

Now, let's look at what iJoy wrote:
    Max Continuous Discharging Current: 40A
    Temperature range: Discharge: -20 to +60 Degree Celsius

So 40A continuous discharge, but immediately as soon as the temperature reaches 60°C you need to stop. But because this type of battery starts aging faster than normal if you push it above 45°C, I stop immediately as soon as the temperature hits 45°C, not 60°C. In addition, I don't discharge the battery continuously until it hits 45°C. Instead, I am only pulsing. And each pulse lasts less than 2 seconds excepting only if the button gets stuck, in which case it might take an additional few seconds to unscrew my RDA, which is safe to do with this particular mech mod because this mech mod uses a 510 pin. The chance of me accidentally pressing and holding the button for a long period is zero chance.

At 40A continuous it took almost five and a half minutes before this battery got to 85°C starting at room temperature so at 40A the temperature rises less than 1/5 of a degree Celcius per second. This translates to more than 3 whole minutes to get to 60°C, and then I haven't even mentioned the fact .18 ohms on a pair of these batteries in a stacked mech translates to a few amps less than 40 so closer to 4 minutes of letting the mod just sit there auto-firing away, like, just staring at the engraving as opposed to making it stop. :lol:

• Informative
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread