28 ga Kanthal, can't get more than .9 ohm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuffTime

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
May 7, 2013
United States
So, just bought myself 4 aga T-2s for a quit smoking/birthday present for myself, and the wire that came with the coil was perfect. 2.1-2.2 ohm coils on all 4. Then I watched some videos, and thought that 28 ga Kanthal would get me around 1.5 ohms. So I bought some, and went to wrap, but I could never get higher than .8 ohms, which won't fire on my eVic.

Anyone know if that is normal, or if you should be expecting more out of 28 ga? I even tried something like 8 wraps and nothing was getting me over .9.

Thanks everyone, and vape Happy!

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
AGA's have a thinner wick, and unfortunately you may not be able to get to the range you want with the 28 gauge. 28 gauge users are usually looking or sub 1 ohm coils. You sound like a candidate for 30 or 32 gauge wire.

You could get around by widening the wick hole and then wrapping a thicker wick but I would think you may end up with a 1 ohm coil with that too.

d3mon

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2012
san antonio
So, just bought myself 4 aga T-2s for a quit smoking/birthday present for myself, and the wire that came with the coil was perfect. 2.1-2.2 ohm coils on all 4. Then I watched some videos, and thought that 28 ga Kanthal would get me around 1.5 ohms. So I bought some, and went to wrap, but I could never get higher than .8 ohms, which won't fire on my eVic.

Anyone know if that is normal, or if you should be expecting more out of 28 ga? I even tried something like 8 wraps and nothing was getting me over .9.

Thanks everyone, and Vape Happy!

i got a 1.2 ohm last night attempting a 4/5 coil. but it took forever to heat up. i average .8-1.0 right now with 3/4 coils with 28awg and 400 mesh on a RSST.

DuffTime

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
May 7, 2013
United States
Yeah, the 28 ga was just an immediate replacement because I anticipated having to redo a coil due to learning curve. I'll just save it for when I get a mech mod or try some extreme vaping or go for party clouds. I already ordered 32 gauge(100ft for 5.85 on ebay from temco) and once it's here I'll get some good coils going. I didn't want to have to bore out my wick hole or use more out there methods in order to get what I want.

Ultimately if I can wrap a 1.2 or 1.3 ohm coil it would be boss, but I'll learn as I go.

Thanks!

USinchains

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
The Terrordrome, FL
www.myspace.com
If you want 1.3 ohms, I would find some 30 gauge. I consistently hit 1- 1.3 with about 4 wraps of 30, depends on the wick / device. I don't use my 32 anymore, since it only allows for a few wraps to remain that low in resistance. Can't comment on the mesh because I've only used 500 with 50/50.

grainey1968

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2013
Locust Grove, GA, USA

Thanks everyone, and Vape Happy!

28 gauge will be hard to get to a 2.0 ohm coil. You would need about 15+ wraps on your coil.
Same advice as the others in this thread - try the 30 gauge kanthal and shoot for around 1.5 ohms on the AGA T2. That is where I find my sweet spot!!
Happy belated birthday and congratulations on quitting the smokes!!!

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
In my experience, 30 gauge works better for the 1.5 range, the 28 takes a long time to glow at higher resistance. If you want higher than 1.5, try some 32 gauge.

I would totally agree here.

I tried making tons of 28g coils in the 1.3-1.8 range for use on VV/VW devices, but once you get past 1ohm, even at higher voltages, it still takes a long time to heat up. To me even 30ga seems to take too long at those resistance levels, but 32 seems to be the sweet spot for a quick heating, great vape, at resistance levels appropriate for VV/VW devices.

USinchains

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
The Terrordrome, FL
www.myspace.com
So I should expect about 1.6-2.2 ohms with 32ga wire?

I wasn't experienced enough when I was using it to say for sure, but mine were coming out at around 2-2.5, and were 4 or 5 wraps, I think. I stopped using it after I tasted my juice at 1ohm.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Really, really recommend a mechanical for the best RBA experience. 17-22 watts is an unbelievable vape. Everyone should at least try this, somehow. This coming from someone that couldn't go over 7.5 watts on clearos without getting burnt hits.

Back before I got into RBAs and gennys, and even shortly after getting into them, I thought the idea of running sub ohm coils was ridiculous. I tried doing it with 32ga, which is all I used when I first started, and it always gave awful harsh vapes.

Then I realized all sub ohm vapers were using 28ga, I got some, made some .8ohm coils, threw it on a mech, and holy hell I've never had a vape that good. Clearos, cartos, attys, etc simply cannot handle that much power without burning the hell out of the juice. I think that's why most people don't understand using such low rez, because they are used to setups that simply cannot handle that sort of power.

But with 28 ga at sub ohm, my 12mg juice feels like 18 at least, even 24 sometimes and the flavor and TH is crazy good compared to any other setup.

It's just one of those things they really HAVE to try on their own before forming an opinion. I've had several friends try my sub ohm setups and they are totally blown away, a clearo or a cartotank with the voltage cranked up is nothing compared to sub ohm 28g coils on a mech (or really just anything that can handle the current)

USinchains

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
The Terrordrome, FL
www.myspace.com
And we come to another issue of mine - I'm not looking for a lot of throat hit. I do 100 VG liquids because I can't have PG and I'm not a fan of the monster cough-inducing throat hit.
Put lots of air on the coil. Throat hit increases as you move the air hole away from the coil. Flavorful, warm sweet spot in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread