3,452 Parents and Grandparents urge President Obama to protect children from all tobacco products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEA7H INC

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Oregon
http:// tinyurl .com/qabdqea Link broken, remove spaces.

"Today, the American Lung Association sent President Barack Obama a letter signed by 3,452 parents and grandparents from all 50 states, asking him to protect our nation’s children from all tobacco products. The letter asks the President to direct the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to move forward with oversight over the manufacture, sales and marketing of all tobacco products including cigars, e-cigarettes and hookah."

Last edited:

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I agree to protect the children. A national ban on the sale of ecig products to minors is a good thing.

amazing how the FDA does not oversee the cosmetics and such our children use.
"Companies and individuals who manufacture or market cosmetics have a legal responsibility to ensure the safety of their products. Neither the law nor FDA regulations require specific tests to demonstrate the safety of individual products or ingredients. The law also does not require cosmetic companies to share their safety information with FDA."
FDA Authority Over Cosmetics

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I agree to protect the children. A national ban on the sale of ecig products to minors is a good thing.
What exactly are we protecting the children from? VG and PG are relatively benign, nicotine, according to several studies, is not addictive when not consumed with tobacco smoke. Also, what makes you think they'll stop anywhere near a minor sales ban?

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
What exactly are we protecting the children from? VG and PG are relatively benign, nicotine, according to several studies, is not addictive when not consumed with tobacco smoke. Also, what makes you think they'll stop anywhere near a minor sales ban?
Ohh i do not think they will stop with what is reasonable at all.

Reactions: CarolT

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Ohh i do not think they will stop with what is reasonable at all.
I fail to see how a ban with no rational or scientific basis is reasonable, especially when that "reason" is used as the basis for nearly all other legislation.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Are there scientific reasons you need to be 21 to buy alcohol? Vaping esp with nicotine is not the best choice for children.
Alcohol actually damages the brain and body, there are many diseases directly linked to the consumption of alcohol, in addition to it's impairment effects. What exactly are the harms associated with nicotine? Not the harms associated with smoking or tobacco use, nicotine. I don't think processed cheese product is the best choice for children, but I'm not advocating a nationwide minor sales ban.

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I agree with laws to prevent sales to minors. But I don't agree that e-cigarettes are tobacco products. This might be the price we pay for whoever had the ....ing genius idea to call them an electronic "cigarette". I bet some people just don't realize that they aren't actually a tobacco product.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Nicotine is a toxin. Cheese not so much.
So is potassium in high enough doses, but we're not carding people when they buy bananas. It would actually be very difficult for someone to consume a dangerous amount of nicotine from commercial e-liquid.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
1-13 mg per kilogram of weight is the median lethal dosage of nicotine. So a 15 ml bottle. With a nic strength of 24 mg/ml would be likely be fatal to someone weighing around 28 kg and that is at the 13 mg/kg or high end of the level. At .mid level of 6 mg/kg it is 60 kg.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicnik

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Parents with children need to guard their ejuice like the toxin that it is. They see mommy and daddy using it and mommy telling daddy how good this ejuice is and will think it is good and try it themselves. We ALL need to protect OUR children, it IS a function of a society and our community. 5 ml of 18 mg/ml ejuice CAN be fatal to a 90 kg person.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
1-13 mg per kilogram of weight is the median lethal dosage of nicotine. So a 15 ml bottle. With a nic strength of 24 mg/ml would be likely be fatal to someone weighing around 28 kg and that is at the 13 mg/kg or high end of the level. At .mid level of 6 mg/kg it is 60 kg.
Yes, if a child drank a 15ml bottle of 24mg/ml liquid and absorbed all of the nicotine, it would probably be fatal. Fortunately, in most cases the person would vomit almost immediately, so exposure would be minimized.

Parents with children need to guard their ejuice like the toxin that it is. They see mommy and daddy using it and mommy telling daddy how good this ejuice is and will think it is good and try it themselves. We ALL need to protect OUR children, it IS a function of a society and our community. 5 ml of 18 mg/ml ejuice CAN be fatal to a 90 kg person.
Yes, PARENTS should keep e-liquid out of the hands of THEIR small children, as they do/should with any other potentially hazardous things around the house like alcohol, detergents, paints, vitamins, medicines, knives, etc.

Most importantly, a minor sales ban would do nothing to prevent accidental exposure of small children. If you want to advocate for CRP and warning labels, go ahead, though most eliquid already has both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread