3.7 Big Battery Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
I'm looking into getting a big battery (18650) mod. I actually love my RiVa and eGo, but have this paranoia about the proprietary batteries getting difficult to find, plus my frugal bone sees the wisdom in spending half the price to get a battery that lasts twice as long.

I really like the looks of the Ali'i and like the concept of a juice feeder for my standard juice. However, aside from my daily tobaccoesque daily vape, I use cartomizers for my flavor adventures and can't seem to determine whether the Ali'i will let that happen. I had looked at the Reo, and it appears to be going to a metal box, and right now I'm not "feeling" that.

So right now I'm looking at the Chuck, which I like because I can girlie it up, and the Silver Bullet, which I like the looks of the button. The most manly thing in the house is my shih tzu, so I need something that is not going to require any tinkering and will just work without me having to tighten things, replace springs and O-rings, etc. I have also looked at the Buzz and don't know that I really need a variable volt as my weakened lungs can only take my 5V passthrough in small doses, ditto with the LR atties (I use them pretty much solely if a flavor seems to need something of a bump). I can get a damaged one for around the same money as the Chuck and SB (although I have no idea about the battery life of the CR123s), so I've kept the Buzz in my considerations.

Does anyone have any thoughts one way or the other on these? I am especially interested in the mechanical soundness of them because I don't own a soldering iron and my screwdriver is one of those in a swiss-army knife styles I got free from Marlboro.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
Why would you want to use a cartomizer if you didn't have to? Eliminating cartomizers and polyfill cartridges is supposed to be one of the advantages of the bottom feeders.

Because I'm a little OCD about flavors mixing. I have my regular VS Texas that I vape on all day (from about 10 am until about 8 pm), which would make the bottom feeder practical. However, anything that I consider a "fun" flavor is in a cartomizer because I don't want the overlap of flavors and I can't afford 20 different atomizers. I'm like that with my food, too. Did you ever watch the show Monk and see how he ate his food...everything in separate dishes? I'm not quite that bad, but only because I don't want to wash that many dishes.

Last edited:

ccbflo

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I have to recommend the Silver Bullet, it's just no-fuss, rock solid. Had mine since Feb. and I haven't had one bit of trouble with it (and I'm pretty rough with it). I have a black one cause I didnt want the trouble of polishing. I've used cartos but prefer dripping now, also mostly stick to 6v now, but when I do use 3.7 i get almost 2 days out of a batt. I can't say enough about how great it is!

wisteelersfan

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm gonna veer off a bit and recommend the P16 from Super-T. Its not an 18650, and can't stack batteries to do 6 volts. But with the AW IMR 16340 high drains and my cartos, I get a solid day's use from it. Completely mechanical so nothing to break and looks nice, plus it's not super big. But it is still a bit pricey.

debb

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
in the nj woods
Why would you want to use a cartomizer if you didn't have to? Eliminating cartomizers and polyfill cartridges is supposed to be one of the advantages of the bottom feeders.

Yeah...really...I modded a carto...(no filler now)..and use it with my wetbox ...and it rocks!! Wet box has a lighter hit then what I like...but the Ali'i is on its way.... :D

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Hey Simplesins,

I met Ryan from R&R Manufacturing 2 weeks ago when I was out on the West Coast, He is a super nice guy and I am currently using one of his Journeyman Mods until he finishes an Ali'i he is making for me. I have to say I have almost every good Mod on the market and the Journeyman along with the new Ali'i are the best I have had and used as of the beginning of my vaping almost 2 years ago. I would most definitely say you are on the right mod, there are others that are good but none that give you everything Ryan's Mods will, the vape is fantastic from these mods, no more dripping or switching batts, just grab you Mod and leave for the day and your set, you wont even need to bring back up batts, I remember when I use to leave the house what a hassle it would be making sure I had everything, man am I glad thats over with, now its grab my Mod and Roll...!!! Just Get it

Last edited:

debb

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
in the nj woods
Well, I highly doubt I will be freezing my .... off...lol...and you wouldn't get much of a fire with wood from the Ali'i....on that note..I have a couple of 3.7's I intend to sell soon...it will make up the money for the Ali'i....I gave up smoking for vaping...and I am trying all the PV's I want....then I will decide what is for me.. only way to know what works....plus I can give to family or friends who might want to quit smoking too...and there is always PIF...or wants or needs...I have money to live on...and I have a little to play with...so I am having fun with it.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread