3.7 volts AW 18650 3100mah vs. IMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I've been using the Protected AW 18650 3100mah battery in my silver bullet and noticed after 2 years of vaping it is the longest lasting battery under the sun when used at 3.7 volts. There has been a lot of confusion about High Drain IMR's. I know that the protected AW lasts me 3-4 days between recharges at 3.7 volts, and is a little longer than most 18650's. Would a lower mah rated high drain IMR be better to use? I am looking for the longest lasting battery for a 3.7 volt device. I swear it would have to be the AW 18650 3100mah, but I have seen others argue this point. Any input on this subject is greatly appreciated. I certainly do not want it to melt or break if it is completely drained.

Last edited:

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
You get 3-4 days out of a charge?...I think this observation may be a product of vaping style and what kind of device is attached to the connector over which batt type...for those that sometimes chain vape on a dual coil (like me), protection cct cut-out drives me nuts but for everyday tooting, protected's work fine...not sure there is a "one size fits all":2c:

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I use the 1.5 LR atomizer on the 3.7 V Silver Bullet with the AW 18650 3100mah battery. For me, It lasts 3-4 days between recharging and it is a protected battery. They do not have any kind of built in protection circuit and are not metal or aluminum, but wood. I am thinking this battery would be best. In certain places when I post about it, people go on and on about the IMR, but I don't see how it would be any better for this type of mod.

Last edited:

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
The IMR batts have much higher max drain rate, but lower capacity. For a 1.5Ω atomizer, you'll get somewhat higher voltage delivery with an IMR cell (it has lower internal resistance), but not nearly the run time. The AW 3100 mAh battery has almost double the charge capacity of the AW IMR 18650.

If the AW 3100mAh performs well for you, then stick with it. IMR cells are usually required only for booster mods that have higher current demands than a non-regulated mod. IMR cells may also be preferred for their better voltage delivery, but it's a trade-off for run time.

One other consideration is that IMR cells are not protected so you have to exercise a little caution with them. The protected cells are safer.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
You get 3-4 days out of a charge?...I think this observation may be a product of vaping style and what kind of device is attached to the connector over which batt type...for those that sometimes chain vape on a dual coil (like me), protection cct cut-out drives me nuts but for everyday tooting, protected's work fine...not sure there is a "one size fits all":2c:
I agree. The Panasonic cells (which is what any 3100mAh cell is) certainly last long and are great choices used in series pairs in VV mods. But in a single cell device like the SB are just middling performers. There are many cells out there that will maintain a higher voltage longer

3-4 days out of a charge? It's more like 3-4 ml of liquid.

Here's an older test. 2A drain is about eqivalent of a ~1.9Ω atty.

Li-ion_186502atests.gif

If we use 3.4V as the cut-off (I really don't want to go any lower) you note that the Panasonic 2900 is bested by 3 cells in this test, the AW2600 (black trace, not Panasonic) looks a better choice, lasting longer and maintaining a higher voltage. Even for a non-discriminating 3.2V vaper the Panasonic trails it in voltage.

It's not just about total mAh, it's about usable mAh for decent vaping.

The chart also shows the folly of using IMR 18650's stacked in a regulated mod. Here we can drag down the cells to 3V. Here's where the Panasonic shines.

Quigsworth hit the nail on the head.

not sure there is a "one size fits all"

The blanket recommendation of IMR's or Panasonic cells is getting kinda old.

Like a good hunter, choose your weapon, then choose your ammo.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Just wondering Slick, are you providing batts with your mod? If it's a mod that's geared towards a vet vaper then he/she already has a stock pile of batts that fit they're needs, I've only been vaping for 4 months and I've already sorted out that I like my IMR's for my solo batt mods like one of my own or my Reo for pure vaping short term jam. But, if it's going to be awhile till I'm going to be home around my batt supply or if I grab one of my VV's then I grab my Trustfires (I don't have any AW's though I should I guess)...if I was building a solo batt mod I'd have using the IMR's in mind...big current, in my opinion anyways, totally over shadows batt life, they usually come in pairs, change the batt when it stops pulling, isn't that why they invented chargers?, again, :2c:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread