3 days and my new coil taste burn??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua96

Feb 23, 2018
I am very new to vaping. I have an alien mod. I can send pictures if it means you guys can help me. Ive gotten a new coil and its been 3 days since i got it, but now i can taste burn?? Why??? I only vape at 70w. The coil say recommend for 60w to 80w. I need help please? I dont know what i did wrong. I do vape alot but 3 day?i would understand if its been a week but 3 days???

Reactions: stols001

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Well since it didn’t taste burnt right away a properly primed coil wasn’t the problem. Best guess is that you got a dry hit. This would cause the cotton to burn and every hit thereafter to taste of burnt cotton. Could be a bad coil that wasn’t wicking properly. You are going to run into this problem from time to time. You may want to consider an RTA so you can build and wick your own coils. It’s much cheaper but takes a bit of time and commitment. There is everything you need to know on this forum if you choose to go this route. Just check out the rebuildables section further down the main page. Good luck

• Agree

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Smok coils have a rep for not lasting all that long. 3 days is on the short side but not by much. You can try lowering your wattage for your next coil. That sometimes helps. You may find you can vape the coils quite low and still get a good vap out of it. It’s all about personal taste

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I am very new to vaping. I have an alien mod. I can send pictures if it means you guys can help me. Ive gotten a new coil and its been 3 days since i got it, but now i can taste burn?? Why??? I only vape at 70w. The coil say recommend for 60w to 80w. I need help please? I dont know what i did wrong. I do vape alot but 3 day?i would understand if its been a week but 3 days???

Hi Joshua96. Welcome to the ECF.

Days really Don't matter when it comes to Coil Life.

The Amount of ml's, the Watts, and how Thick and how Heavily Flavored/Sweetened your e-Liquids are is what really determines how long a Coil Lasts.

So how many ml's did you go thru in 3 Days?
And what type of e-Liquid are you using?

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston

Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately, I’ve read several posts from people saying their getting 2-3 days from the Smok coils. As others have said it’s dependent on the amount of liquid, sweetness and vaping temp that will effect coil life.

• Agree

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Watts is not the only indicator of heat at the coil. Airflow plays a huge role in how hot the coil gets, you may not be creating enough airflow to keep the temp down on the coil. If this is the case you need to turn the wattage down for your style of vaping.

Joshua96

Feb 23, 2018
Hi Joshua96. Welcome to the ECF.

Days really Don't matter when it comes to Coil Life.

The Amount of ml's, the Watts, and how Thick and how Heavily Flavored/Sweetened your e-Liquids are is what really determines how long a Coil Lasts.

So how many ml's did you go thru in 3 Days?
And what type of e-Liquid are you using?

20180223_213632.jpg

This is my mod and the ejuice i was using. I only filled up my tank like 4 times. Is that to much within 3 days? I didnt even fill it up all the way. Only about half way.

Jg1701

Feb 24, 2018
Even though I've been vaping for almost 4 years, I'm still a newbie. My daughter really got me into vaping. When I started having my issue I took my setup to my vape shop and talked to the manager. He really help me by changing my settings. He told me I was running to much power and not enough air flow. It work fine after that but has started burning up my coils.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
View attachment 725003

This is my mod and the ejuice i was using. I only filled up my tank like 4 times. Is that to much within 3 days? I didnt even fill it up all the way. Only about half way.

What is that? Like a 4ml Tank?

Does seem like your Coil Life is kinda short. But I have read Many Posts about people Only getting 10 or 15ml out of a Coil-Head.

Might Try...

Lowering your Wattage.
Opening Up the Air Flow.
Gently Fluffing the Cotton in the Coil Head.
Switching e-Liquids.
Switching to Different Coil-Heads.
Going with an RBA Section or just an RTA.

Adrienne1001

May 24, 2015
My experiment this week was to poke a pinhole through the cotton from one wicking hole through the other (careful not to push any of the coil rings out of place). Saw a video or two last night that this can help the coil head wick better and reduce the chance of dry hits, extending the life of your coil. Might be a thought for you.

Tralfaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Orbit City
View attachment 725003

When you fill your tank, you should always fill it to the top to make sure the coil head is immersed when you tip your mod to vape. Also, one thing that worked for me when I used sub tanks was to periodically close the airflow ring and do a couple of draws on the tank without firing to re-prime the coil head and help keep it saturated. Other than that, I would suggest lowering your wattage a little especially if you are using higher VG or sweeter juice.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah, you should fill your tank FULL when you refill, I mean leave room for an airbubble at the top, but the less eliquid in your tank, the more it will heat up as your coil heats up.

I would also recommend poking a few tiny holes in the coil wicking to help with wicking. If your juice is sweet, dark, and high VG, I would expect gunking issues, which can definitely shorten coil life. An RTA would be an option if that is the type of juice you prefer, as you can rewick more frequently. Look for a clear, less sweet juice you can enjoy in that tank, to help your coil life. Also, if you can turn down your wattage, that will likely prolong coil life as well and you could look at a slightly higher PG ratio in your juices as well, to help with coil life.

Any coil can be killed with the right juice. I had a storebought coco that would kill any coil I had in about 2 days. I DIY and like having more control over not having additives such as food coloring, tons of artificial sweetener in my vape, etc.

Best of luck, hope you get it resolved. If all else fails, I would consider a Uwell Crown (the original or version 3) they are well liked for flavor and offer a wide range of resistances but coil life seems to be good, and the coils don't seem to have QC issues or need to be modified much in order to get decent coil life. You may find it easier to just choose another drop-in tank that may work better for you, and keep the prince as a backup tank.

Best of luck!

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Tralfaz

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I will. Thanks for the advice. But i dont think its the airflow since i have my airflow completely open.

It's not only the airflow setting but how hard/soft your inhale style is. Wide open airflow and a soft mtl inhale won't create near as much airflow as a hard dtl inhale.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
View attachment 725003

I think @Adrienne1001 hit the nail on the head. Max airflow with your 70VG 30PG juice means it will wick on the slower side. The first thing I would do is to take a straight pin, and poke a hole in the side of the coil head... poke it all the way until it reaches the coil. Do that in each of the siides of the cotton. Usually with Smok coils, two of the juice inlets have some metal between the coil and the cotton intake.... but two you can poke a hole straight to the coil. I recommend poking holes into the cotton to allow the thicker juice to flow a bit better.

Second, try doing some primer puffs. close off the airflow, and without firing the mod, suck in some. This will force some juice into the cotton. If you do it too much, you will flood the tank. Once your cotton is saturated, open the airflow back up and vape normally.

And lastly, the recommended wattage is only a suggestion. vaping at a lower wattage is ok, and might allow the wick to saturate more. Vaping it at a lower wattage is ok, but I wouldn't vape it at a higher wattage.. you'll definitely get dry hits.

Good luck, I'm off to work. I hope that helps some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread