Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Hello Everyone,

How in the world do you build with this wire? The wire is thinner than a modern day size 0 model. Jiggly. Gets messed up when passing the wicks through the coil. Absolute trouble. :yawn:

24s/26s are far more comfortable. :wub:
You just need to up your wrapping and wicking game... ;)

Boden made some fine triple parallel 30ga Radiator coils back in the day.
image-jpeg.570743

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
You can twist it into 2 wire strand. I have done that and it is good. I have also used it single strand for old style cartomizer rebuild.
I like three stands of 30 gauge twisted. That's been a go-to for me for a long time.

rwwcVMb.jpg

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
While not easy, wrapping and wicking can be done. I have done coils with 30g successfully. I still prefer 28g though. I rarely use anything lower than 28g, and when I do I only go down to 26g.

A tip for wicking thin gauge wire, I wick it loosely and then take a needle and make an empty space in the center of the wicks inside the coil, then use a piece of 30g wire and wrap it around a small piece of wicking material and pull it through the center of the wick inside the coil to tighten it all up and not distort the coil. It is more time consuming and tedious, but works if you want to put the time into it.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Why would it go up? With 2 strands it halves in comparison to 1 strand of wire. Through twisting you will slightly increase the resistance (more wire per inch) but to get it even to the same resistance as the single strand you have to twist twice the length of wire into the same length as the single, that'd be a pretty tight twist.

Your resistance will be between 0.5 and 1 times that of a single strand, the less twisted the closer to 0.5. I never got to the original resistance of single wire with my twisted ones (but I didn't twist them religiously).

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2013
Richardson, Texas, USA
Why would it go up? With 2 strands it halves in comparison to 1 strand of wire. Through twisting you will slightly increase the resistance (more wire per inch) but to get it even to the same resistance as the single strand you have to twist twice the length of wire into the same length as the single, that'd be a pretty tight twist.

Your resistance will be between 0.5 and 1 times that of a single strand, the less twisted the closer to 0.5. I never got to the original resistance of single wire with my twisted ones (but I didn't twist them religiously).

funny-football-memes-fifa-2018-world-cup-fb-792x300.png

Sorry... had to do it! :p:p:p:p:p

Reactions: TrollDragon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread