401 atty - Ideal Voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradiso

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
MA - USA
Anyone played around with various voltages and have some experience to share?
I made a USB passthrough and its a little volcano, but the atty gets hot very fast and it starts tasting burnt after a few hits. I'm thinking that 5 volts is too much. I'm thinking of making a 6 volt mod and using diodes to bring it down to around 4.5 or so.
Any insight appreciated.

Thanks

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
At 4 volts, that little thing is drawing 1.5 amps (because it is a very low ohm atomizer)

That's where I like mine at.

Remember that diodes will drop the voltage over the entire range of your battery, so if the battery pair runs from 7 to 6 volts now, it will go 4 to 3 volts if you use diodes to drop 3 volts. 3v is a little light...

You have lots of headroom for a regulator instead if you wan to try that route.

Last edited:

Paradiso

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
MA - USA
Thanks RjG. I have made a NicoStick with a 14500 battery (see avatar). That is great, but I keep thinking maybe a little more power would be better. (When the mod bug hits, you just can't help tweaking stuff!)
The more I think about it though, it probably doesn't make sense to mess around for another .5 volts.

(But I DO have these two flashlights that I was planning to make magnums from. I just HAVE TO do something with them. Yes, I'm obsessed.)

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
PT = pass through?
So the 1N4001 will drop the 5 volts by about another .5?
Are the regulators the TI samples?

Thanks

PT = pass through.

I believe the drop was about 0.6-0.7 at 5.2 voltage in when I tested it. It was a while ago but that was pretty close.

The TI samples are much better than the LM7805 that I was using. I just put in an order tonight for some:

Linear Regulators - Single Channel LDO - UCC283-5 - TI.com

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I made a pass through for my 401 when I found an old universal lighter plug with selectable voltage in a drawer. It uses that little 2 pin adapta-plug thing, so I just went with it. So today I'm in RS, and they have an AC-to DC Power Adapter 4.5V-1600mA with the same little adapt a plug on the end of the cord, on clearance, for under $4 bucks. Just seems too easy......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread