$5,000 fine for vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperTaz

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Quebec, Canada
Hi....the city of Ottawa, Canada passed a bill last night banning vaping on public transportation buses. A fine of Up to 5,000$ . I think this is a wonderful bill. It is idiots like these vapers who " I do it in your face cuz I can attitude " that is outlawing vaping.Vapers......showing a little restraint sometimes can go a long way in helping our cause....thank you.

Last edited:

Foggin Munky

Feb 28, 2015
Florida
While I don't like the idea of a 5G fine for vaping (or most laws for that matter), two things: (1) not my country, not my business. I've passed through Canada, more than once (top to bottom), but as a non resident I don't feel entitled to an opinion about their laws. (2) I try to be courteous about my vaping. I do hit it, inside, but do so rather in conspicuously and always blow clouds AWAY from others. Not just out of courtesy but also because I'm a vape Ninja :D By the time people see the cloud, the mod is back in my pocket and people are left wondering what just happened.

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Hi....the city of Ottawa, Canada passed a bill last night banning vaping on public transportation buses. A fine of Up to 5,000$ . I think this is a wonderful bill. It is idiots like these vapers who " I do it in your face cuz I can attitude " that is outlawing vaping.Vapers......showing a little restraint sometimes can go a long way in helping our cause....thank you.

I understand and agree with the logic BEHIND your approval, but I couldn't disagree more. Is this fine really comiserate with the offense? Is it a $5,000 fine for smoking too? 'Cause it should be, or more.

One should not support idiotic legislation simply because the idea behind it is agreeable. The law (in this case the fine to offense ratio) should still be reasonable.

MoonSparkle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2015
North Carolina
Meh, this from the same province that bans smoking on bar patios OUTSIDE.

Not sure it's a win even if I do agree with this particular one. Vaping shouldn't be on public transits.

Only a matter of time before they also say you can't vape in your car with kids under the age of 16 too. Cellphones and smoking in car is not allowed while driving but feel free to eat your double big mac or BK poutine while driving, that is perfectly safe afterall. Some of the things I've seen on the 401 would scare you.

I haven't kept up to date regarding Ontario laws since I moved out of that blackhole two years ago. It's about control and money and always has been.

Just for comparison since people always use the "what about the children" and this is transportation related: In Ontario failing to stop for a school bus has a fine of up to $2000. So how the heck did they come up with this $5000 fine number lol

Welcome to Ontario - Yours to discover :rolleyes:

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
i believe the 5000 dollar fine has nothing to do
with how anyone vapes. its to give the impression
that vaping is so bad we had to make these fines
this high to insure compliance and protect the
non-vapors and real smokers from this deadly
exposure. ;)
meanwhile back here in Minnesota the Metro
Transit Commission has a no smoking or vaping
policy on its buses and trains. no smoking is vigorously
enforced. i think most vapers stealth vape like me as i have
not seen many.the ones i have seen vape on the bus
perhaps take one or two puffs and put their PV away and
nobody bats an eye. when i asked my bus driver freind
what the deal was he told me the unofficial policy was
that if no one complains or it isn't interferring with the
safe and timely operation of the bus to ignore it.
that policy extends to smoking on some routes in some parts of town
after evening rush hours.
:2cool:
mike

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
i believe the 5000 dollar fine has nothing to do
with how anyone vapes. its to give the impression
that vaping is so bad we had to make these fines
this high to insure compliance and protect the
non-vapors and real smokers from this deadly
exposure. ;)
meanwhile back here in Minnesota the Metro
Transit Commission has a no smoking or vaping
nobody bats an eye. when i asked my bus driver freind
what the deal was he told me the unofficial policy was
that if no one complains or it isn't interferring with the
safe and timely operation of the bus to ignore it.
that policy extends to smoking on some routes in some parts of town
after evening rush hours.
:2cool:
mike

In other words, they Know that vaping is not harmful, but to appease the few they have these "rules" on paper.

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
I dont kno why you must insult a whole province. I would never insult your state. Ontario has a lot of amazing things going for it. Anyways, this is the most ridiculous fine ever. 5000$. Thats stupid, this law is stupid and I really doubt its to apease the people or anything.
Ontario is a wonderful place to live. I have lived in numerious provinces AND US States and IMHO opinion I like Toronto and the surrounding cities to the east and west the most. I think the highways in Montreal look 50x worse as do all roads if you want to be logical so the 401 comment mad little sense. Our parks ar beautiful but our people are friendly, cities safe and the endless choices of things you can do, places to go etc etc in our cities make it an awesome place IMO. I wouldnt make snide remarks about Georgia for example so I dont think your comments our warrented and find them offencesive.

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
Anyways, this is the most ridiculous fine ever. 5000$. Thats stupid, this law is stupid and I really doubt its to apease the people or anything.
Ontario is a wonderful place to live. I have lived in numerious provinces AND US States and IMHO opinion I like Toronto and the surrounding cities to the east and west the most. I think the highways in Montreal look 50x worse as do all roads if you want to be logical so the 401 comment mad little sense. Our parks ar beautiful but our people are friendly, cities safe and the endless choices of things you can do, places to go etc etc in our cities make it an awesome place IMO. I wouldnt make snide remarks about Georgia for example so I dont think your comments our warrented and find them offencesive.[/QUOTE]

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
1. This is just another case that points out our biggest problem, that is, unfortunately we have far too many members of society that have lost the ability to use common sense and respect for others when in public. Then the other sector that feels compelled to dictate to others what level of respect is acceptable.

2. When forcing those in a position of authority and responsibility to draw a line, many are not going to be happy where that line is drawn. Unfortunately, many of those in a position of authority and responsibility drawing those lines are in the first group referred to in #1, lacking in common sense and respect for others.

Are we in a vicious circle that is approaching whirlpool level?

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
OT: Loved TO (with a shameless plug for Rodney's Oyster House), but I ain't going back. I worked for a Canadian company 10 years ago. I haven't been across the boarder since. Revenue Canada still keeps sending me 'requests' to file my taxes. The thing is if they request one, you have to file, even if you have no Canadian earnings to report. :facepalm: It costs me $15/year to send them a properly filled out tax return, with supporting documents, to say I don't owe anything. big PIA.

The law itself doesn't surprise me. The extent of the fine and what's driving the bus (couldn't resist) for the law is what is worrisome to me. It goes to the attitude towards vaping, the perception, and the desire for control - none of which are good things.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
nobody bats an eye.

What I do not understand – why to vape on the bus? We, members of ECF community, have learned already that it is smoking that is addictive, not nicotine. Could not we wait for an hour or two or three with our vaping needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread