50 mg Salts in RDA at .6 and 15 Watts? Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolly_st_nic

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
Madison, WI
I roll my own coils, and I'm surprised I don't know, but is 15 watts .... 15 watts? Whether on a joyetech Exceed Edge pod system or on a Yuri Desire Flavor RDA at .6 ohms, 22 gauge kanthal, 9 wraps, single coil .... again, powered at a mere 15 W on a Snowwolf? Is it going to put out a dangerous amount of nicotine (the Joyetech, which it is safe to vape salts with, is rated 13 W maximum)? I like the Joyetech alright, but it's easier for me to switch flavors by just changing cotton, plus I have become accustomed to RDA vaping, plus I can raise or lower the temp by a couple of watts to adjust to my preferences. I want to know specifically about using this low-wattage-yet-sub-ohm setup with 50 mg salts, because dang is it satisfying to a nicotine addict, but I don't care to overdose either. I have to inhale for 5-6 seconds at that wattage, and bam, my urge for a cigarette passes! It is strong, smooth, satisfying, but is it safe? Thanks for your thoughts on this.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
I roll my own coils, and I'm surprised I don't know, but is 15 watts .... 15 watts? Whether on a Joyetech Exceed Edge pod system or on a Yuri Desire Flavor RDA at .6 ohms, 22 gauge kanthal, 9 wraps, single coil .... again, powered at a mere 15 W on a Snowwolf? Is it going to put out a dangerous amount of nicotine (the Joyetech, which it is safe to vape salts with, is rated 13 W maximum)? I like the Joyetech alright, but it's easier for me to switch flavors by just changing cotton, plus I have become accustomed to RDA vaping, plus I can raise or lower the temp by a couple of watts to adjust to my preferences. I want to know specifically about using this low-wattage-yet-sub-ohm setup with 50 mg salts, because dang is it satisfying to a nicotine addict, but I don't care to overdose either. I have to inhale for 5-6 seconds at that wattage, and bam, my urge for a cigarette passes! It is strong, smooth, satisfying, but is it safe? Thanks for your thoughts on this.
It is almost impossible to get a dangerous nicotine dose from vaping. You will surely feel very sick before you get to that point. How do you feel afterward? Do you keep vaping?
I get a decent open MTL hit from my little Tesla Shadow tank with a .6 coil and 14 -16 watts. I like it cool, though. A 22 gauge coil has a lot of mass. You probably won't get much from that build at all at low wattages.

Last edited:

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
As I recall from my reading of CASAA data, one would not easily overdue nicotine and would throw up if it was too much. Of course, if drinking or partaking in pain meds or such, the effects might be overlooked somewhat.

If you chain vaped that 50mg salt nic it could become uncomfortable pretty quickly I would think.

Dare I suggest one set up with high nic for occasionally and another with lower for "normal" use?

jolly_st_nic

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
Madison, WI
On a Pod system you are running around 16w but the build is 1.2 ohms. I can't really see 16w powering a 0.6 ohm build to the point of where it would produce vapor of any benefit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
It does produce a satisfying vapor with 50 mg/ml nic salts, though the coil takes a puff or two to heat up and I inhale for at least 5 seconds. I have no idea what the science is behind the fact that I'm happy with it, except maybe just the high nicotine and faster response to salts, but it satisfies me enough to stay off cigarettes. Sub-ohming salts at 50 mg would make me sick at high wattage. I've read that 50 mg/ml salts shouldn't be used sub-ohm at all, but I think I could probably go as high as 25 W and still be ok. I went over to the Steam Engine Ohm's Law Calculator and, considering that 0.6 ohms @ 25 W is about the same voltage as 1.2 ohms @ 12 W, I could probably raise the wattage a little and it would still be comparable to using a cigalike or pod in terms of vapor production and nicotine delivered. Thanks for the input, everyone. I don't feel so much like I'm about to win a Darwin Award now.

Reactions: stols001

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Perfectly safe, I vape in the 20’s mg of nicotine with everything from a .15 to .9 and everything in between at 30-60 watts without issue. When I first went subohm I was vaping 36mg’s of the good stuff and going from a 2.4 ohm Protank to a .5 ohm crown. It took a couple days but I was feeling nauseous so I lowered it to 20-24 somewhere around there and now it’s fine.
Point being your body will let you know if it’s too much long before it kills you. Barring any unforeseen medical conditions of course.

Reactions: stols001

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Yep. 15 watts is 15 watts

Watts is the measure you will feel. We used to have to adjust in volts, so keep changing settings for different atties to achieve desired watts.

You might want to think about thinner wire. Like 26awg. Or raising your wattage. You can go quite a bit higher safely. And as others have said, if you overstep by 10 watts, or 10mg too high, you'll likely just feel a bit menopausal, hot and sweaty

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I personally probably wouldn't love vaping that much nic salts at those power levels, but I am pretty much 16 watts and below.

I will say vapor production is what will determine your "dose" and it is absolutely NOT as simple as wattage in, resistance out.. There are a ton of factors that go into vapor production like airflow, drip tip, type of coil, etc.

I will say that if you aren't getting symptoms of nic overload, you are probably in an entirely safe zone. I mostly vape at around 1.0 resistance but I have dipped lower and I also vape I'd guess around 14 watts on average and I use nic salts at 18 mg/ml although I have a couple higher nic tanks for when I really want to smoke.

There is NO setup "designed" for nic salts, other than marketing. You can vape nic salts at 3 mg/ml in a very sub0hm setup, or higher nic with higher resistance and less power, it's really just about making sure your liquid suits your vape and vaping style, but if you feel contented and aren't getting nic overload symptoms there is absolutely nothing wrong with what you are doing and etc.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread