• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

50+ year smoker switches to vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dshack

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
My father-in-law recently came to visit us in Phoenix. He is 68 and has smoked since he was 13. Up until February when he had a stroke, he was smoking 2 packs a day. After getting out of the hospital, he was having a terrible time cutting back much less quitting. We told him about finding e-cig last month. He seemed very interested in trying it out once he came to visit.

Well, since arriving last Thursday, he has not had a single cigarette. He liked it so much, we placed an order for him on Friday. When Frank gets home he'll have a new Joye 510 kit and 40ml of juice waiting for him!

Last edited:

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
WooHoo, is he gonna be glad he did that!
ALL kidding aside, he'll be able to smell things, taste food as it was meant to be, breath easier, and his house, clothes, and he, won't stink of cigarettes anymore! No more burn tracks on the table!
And make sure he drinks a LOT of water, a liter or two a day, the juice is very drying moreso than when smoking.
Best of Luck to him, and to you.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
That is awesome!

I wish these had been available when my father was smoking. In his 50's he quit a 3 pack a day habit cold turkey (we all suffered, LOL). Twenty years later, he's struggling with lung cancer and chemotherapy. Rough stuff. It is the reason I started looking for a way to quit, and found e-cigs.

Keep us up to date on his progress and if you can, what his doctors think of any changes in his health after he has used it a while?

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Hellen, VocalEK had some interesting info about quitters and subsequent battles with cancers. Some as much as 13-15 years after quitting. I'll have to try to find it, but bless your Dad, hope you're holding level. God gives full hands the best balance!!
dshack, your Dad is a little unusual....most would have dismissed the e-cig idea with no second thoughts. You did a great thing, even us 'older' ones do turn around very quickly!

dshack

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
UPDATE: My father-in-law received his 510 kit about 3 days after he got home to Kansas City. I talked to my mother-in-law about 4 days later and asked how it was going for him.
What she told me was that Frank will vape the 510 until the battery runs out, then he switches back to cigarettes until the battery recharges. :(
I reminded her that the kit came with 2 batteries so he could rotate them and always have a fresh one. Unfortunately, due to Frank's stroke, he forgets to do this on his own while she works during the day.
At least at this point, he's cut this smoking in half or more. I'm going to suggest an eGo kit to him once they move to Phoenix in about a month.
Overall I think it's great that he's been able to cut out more then a pack a day so easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread