Status
Not open for further replies.

supertrkre2812

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2009
Palatka, Fl
www.xtremevaping.com
I completed my 5v. ti booster nicostick a few days ago, and it was working beautifully. Then I took a hit, popped the cart and refilled it, then hit it again, and nothing. put another atty in it, and it worked.
I checked the resistance of the atty to make sure it blew, and it reads 17.4 ohms, so it's not blown.
What would cause the atty resistance to shoot up like that? I tried cleaning it in alcohol, re-ohmed it and still the same thing, 17.4 ohms.
BTW, the other atty blew after I filled it also. Ohmed Open, so it is blown.
Am i doing something wrong?
The box is putting out 4.98 volts, don't know what it's putting out with atty on it, haven't checked it, afraid of blowing another atty.
Gave it to my son, he is loving the 5v.
Guess I will have to build me another one, but why are the atty's stopping after I fill the cart?
Do you think it's the cool liquid hitting the hot atty?

I will appreciate all ideas.

Levy

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Are you dripping on the bridge.... HV batt mods will do this when dry.. over time- Not as quickly as what you have described.

You should be dripping one or two drops in the atty itself, in addition to what you have in you cart... this is good for up to 8-14 drags depending on model you use.

Of course you have a control circuit since you are at 5v.. you might want to check that.. If that is not working right, you can have a problem with the voltage from the battery surging or spiking .. this would be bad, as the atty may not stand up to being subject to voltage that is not stabilized.

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
No, I do not drip. I overfill the cart, so it is like dripping.
The control circuit is the TI booster. I use a 14500, it boosts to 5v.
It is testing ok, still working, just wondering why a atty would suddenly go to 17 ohms?

Yeah.. That does sound a little high at 17 with the specs. should be more than 10 or 11 at the most. Have you tried this on a different bttery to see if it gives you the same result!!

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
I completed my 5v. ti booster nicostick a few days ago, and it was working beautifully. Then I took a hit, popped the cart and refilled it, then hit it again, and nothing. put another atty in it, and it worked.
I checked the resistance of the atty to make sure it blew, and it reads 17.4 ohms, so it's not blown.
What would cause the atty resistance to shoot up like that? I tried cleaning it in alcohol, re-ohmed it and still the same thing, 17.4 ohms.
BTW, the other atty blew after I filled it also. Ohmed Open, so it is blown.
Am i doing something wrong?
The box is putting out 4.98 volts, don't know what it's putting out with atty on it, haven't checked it, afraid of blowing another atty.
Gave it to my son, he is loving the 5v.
Guess I will have to build me another one, but why are the atty's stopping after I fill the cart?
Do you think it's the cool liquid hitting the hot atty?

I will appreciate all ideas.

Levy

'Tis paralysis by analysis, Levy. I think you're looking for human error while it may just have been that atty's time. I've had a couple go as high as 30-ish ohms and I don't normally use high voltage. I'd just monitor the new atty and get a bigger sample size of your mod and the effect on subsequent attys.

I *do*, however, wait for the atty to cool down before re-dripping. It's the hot glass out of the dishwasher to cold beverage line of thought. LOL

Dave Rickey

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2009
Austin TX
Is this your first HV mod? I assume the atomizers were used, from how you describe them. HV stresses an atomizer, a used atomizer that was near the end of life might work just fine at normal voltages but blow on 5V.

Are you using the capacitors on the TI booster? It seems that the closer you get to the 12W power limit for those boosters, the more important they are to avoid voltage oscillations (not noticable when just taking an unloaded reading) that would stress the atomizer. And 510's at 5V are right at the power limit.

--Dave

supertrkre2812

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2009
Palatka, Fl
www.xtremevaping.com
Yes, this is my first HV mod, and yes, it was my "normal" used atty, I guess about 2 months old. Since then I have built a few more, some with the TI board, some without at 3.7V. Some with 1 Batt and some with 2, LOL. And yes, with the TI board, I am using the caps, on both the input and output sides.
I spent a whole weekend just building boxes. I find it relaxing......all the intricate soldering, drilling, learning from my mistakes and so on.
I am counting that atty as my first toasted atty, but it was 2 months old.
Now I have a new box, and my son has a box, so we will find out if the 5v boxes are blowing them, double test time.
I have been using my new box about 3 days, and i have been continuining to draw after i let off the button to help cool the atty back down, so far so good. But just in case, I have another shipment of atty's in the mail!!!
Thanks for all the replies.
Knowledge is a good thing8-o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread