50mg Salt Nicotine...what is the equivalent to freebase nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That is COMPLETELY incorrect. Nicotine and freebase are for all intents and purposes, totally 1:1 equivalent. 50 mg of nic salts is the same as 50 of freebase.

While you may be able to increase your nic some due to the SMOOTHNESS of nic salts, that sort of equation is going to get you nic sick in SHORT ORDER.

Whatever you are using now for devices, you'd have to cut your power output to about ONE THIRD of your current setup.... Which is?

Unless you are somehow unsatisfied with your nic level, there is no need (or justification) to raise your nic salts up ONE BIT. Start with 12 nic salts, and bump it up in SMALL increments, like 2 mg at a time until you find your sweet spot. If you are at 12 because otherwise it's harsh, sure raise up your nicsalts a bit, experiment, vape, watch out for nic overload etc., then raise it more if you need to.

Also, request that your "friend" provide you with "proof" of his claims as they are Utterly baseless. Also, tell him to KNOCK OFF his little practice of trying to give everyone and his brother NIC OVERLOAD.

I vape nic salts at 18 mg/ml in MTL devices around 9--11 watts. I was a 3 ppd smoker.

Anna

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
I appreciate your comments but still have a big doubt. Why then are nicotine salts e liquids sold with concentrations from 25mg to 50mg or over? From cheap e liquids to premium ones (HALO, for instance, sells nicotine salts e liquids only in 35mg and 50mg strength). I doubt that many ppl still vape 25mg of freebase nic (although when I started vaping many years ago my first e liquids were 24mg). Sorry but I am missing something here...

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I appreciate your comments but still have a big doubt. Why then are nicotine salts e liquids sold with concentrations from 25mg to 50mg or over? From cheap e liquids to premium ones (HALO, for instance, sells nicotine salts e liquids only in 35mg and 50mg strength). I doubt that many ppl still vape 25mg of freebase nic (although when I started vaping many years ago my first e liquids were 24mg). Sorry but I am missing something here...

No throat hit and used in those concentrations in devices like BLU and JUUL that don't produce much vapor. JUUL pods have less than a ml of liquid and are expected to last as long as a pack of cigarettes

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco

https://www.halocigs.com/nicotine-salts/halo-nic-salts/

Notice that halo recommends them in a pod system. The Aspire Breeze 2 a small MTL device

Aspire Breeze 2 AIO Kit - Aspire® Official Site

Or the Sourin Air
https://www.halocigs.com/new-hardwares/suorin/suorin-air-kit/

Reactions: Eskie

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Why then are nicotine salts e liquids sold with concentrations from 25mg to 50mg or over?
Because most people find regular freebase nicotine concentrations in that range unpalatable.

Yet those kinds of concentrations are needed to make a low-powered device hit like a cigarette.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
nic strength is nic strength regardless of what form it is in....50mg of nic in freebase, 50 mg of salt nic, 50mg in ejuice, 50mg in gum, 50mg in patch...it's all the same amount, just different delivery methods, different speeds in which it will hit your system, different flavors, ect....but in the end it's the same exact mg level...
when I first stated vaping i was vaping at 36mg - 50 mg because I needed that until I got all the crud out of my system that came with smoking...after which that high strength was unpleasant to vape, whereas apparently nic salts aren't supposed to be unpleasant no matter what strength....but as stated yes these higher strength nic salts are made for (lack of better words) lower end mods that don't have long battery lives nor do they have much power behind them....they are more for those to take a few hits off of and get "buzzed" like when you hotbox a cig....it's not really meant for chain vaping or cloud chasing direct lung hits...
I have tried nic salts, there are some in lower strengths I have some in 3mg and have to admit they aren't as irritating as more normal juice to where I'm able to do direct lung hits instead of my normal mouth to lung vape.
But yeah I mean again call it what you like freebase,nic salt,x,y,z....50mg is still 50mg

Last edited:

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Of course I won't do that...I know that you are not supposed to put them in a subohm device...
Correction...youre not supposed to put 50mg juice in a subohm setup. Doesnt matter if its salt or freebase. I vape nic salt at subohm and love it. Even at 6mg/ml, its just smoother to me. But to make this real easy to wrap your mind around, nicotine is nicotine. If you want to use nicotine salt, go for it. If you would rather vape freebase nicotine, then do that.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
And then they brought stem nicotine into the mix...:eek:
Where does that fit in?
OMG!! Not the dreaded stem nicotine! Now the confusion and chaos will never end. Its all we can do to keep folks straight on the (lack of) difference between salt and freebase. Now this? We're doomed, i tell you! Doomed!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Nic salts at that high concentration are usually used in super low power devices such as pods (think the juul which can go up to 59 mg/ml but it's engine is WEAK. Folks don't get nic overload (as much) in those types of devices.

If you stuck that in oh, say a Nautilus 2 tank, even, you might be more likely to get nic sick as (while it's still a MTL device) it's wattage output and vapor output can be more.

There is a place for said devices, and it is in the stealth realm in my opinion, or during times when you can't vape a lot and need a quick "fix" during breaks.

However, you MAY be able to go higher than 12 m.g in your current setup (which you still haven't told us what it is, yet, BTW, and that would be useful) but how much more is going to depend on your vapor output per puff.

Nic salt vendors of premade juices many of them, are selling a slightly cheaper option of juice to refill pods and whatnot, which is why they are often made at that strength. They do it because it's what the market supports.

You can vape nic salts in any device, at the correct nicotine LEVEL as was pointed out, some folks just plain prefer nic salts, even in sub0hm devices, at the right nic level.

There is no "magical" device MEANT for nic salts, where if you use freebase your coil magically dissolves and catches fire, there just ISN'T. I am SO TIRED of dealing with that marketing nonsense. It creates confusion and uncertainty.

And just because you can obtain a 50 mg/ml nic salt juice doesn't mean you SHOULD vape it in even some airier more powerful MTL devices than cigalikes.

I'm sorry but just forget everything you've been told or read, it's all marketing BS so just increase your nic salts sloooowly, a few mg at a time. You may enjoy them at lower concentrations as than you think.

But tripling the amount of nic in your vape is a sure recipe to get a bit nic sick in my opinion. It probably may be unpleasant but equally it probably won't kill you. I wouldn't ADVISE doing it hat way, but if you must, you must, etc.

Anna

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Ok...
I am vaping since 2009, from cigalikes and changing as they evolved. Currently I use several regulated devices but never go over 18 watts. I don't do subohm, I am not a cloud chaser either. After trying all kind of tanks I still prefer drippers at home, DIY liquids 12 mg regular nic. When I go outside, I prefer small devices like the Icare or the Ego AIO, however I load these with 18mg nic (I do this to get the same level of throat hit I get with the other devices at 12mg). Then recently I've been curious about nicotine salts and asked which strenght of it I would need to get a throat hit similar to the 12-18 freebase one, then I was simply told "35mg", and it made sense since I see nic salts eliquids usually come from around 35mg to 50mg.
I am not planning to do subohm with nic salts since I don't do subohm with freebase either. I just want to be able to get a decent throat hit with nic salts. If I ever get it I will use it whatever between 10-18 watss, 1.2 to 1.5 coils. Evidently, 12mg salts won't give me a good throat hit, although I understand now that 12mg is 12mg, be it freebase or salts. So, I am still looking for an answer. Or maybe I just get some 50mg salts and mix them down with vg/pg until I find the right level. I appreciate everybodies' comments!

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread