Status
Not open for further replies.

Mare1077

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
Miami, FL
Hi all. I am fairly new to vaping (Aug. 2) and I have been using KR808d-1 batteries and cartomizers and have been very happy with them. However, I have started some DIY juice and found it a pain to taste test with the cartos, so I bought a 901(808)/510 adapter and some regular 510 attys from Madvapes. I have to say I am really disappointed with the attys which really surprised me since I keep hearing how everyone's (or almost everyone's) favorite is the 510! There isn't as much vapor or throat hit and almost NO flavor. I have tried several flavors and they actually all taste the same. I am not talking the difference between cappuccino and kona coffee...I am talking the difference between cappuccino and blueberry! I understand that it takes a while to "break them in", but is that the problem? do I just have to tolerate mediocrity/yuckiness for a couple days til it gets good or am i missing something?

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
Mare, I have a few 510 attys that just never did produce much vapor or flavor from the beginning. Others I have are just awesome. Sometimes its just sub par attys. All from the same company, same brand, but some are just plain duds. So far it seems that I'm getting about 40 percent duds. That is, 4 of the 10 I have are not so hot. In fact, 2 of those 4 are nearly unuseable. I ordered 3 more today, so hopefully at least 2 of them will be good performers.

This seems like a high percentage of duds to me but I think thats what we are getting.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
I think some of the problem IMO is you have been using cartos for a while. For me once I went with cartomizers I could never go back to attys for just the reasons you listed ie less vapor, less taste.
Now you should be able to taste the difference in flavors, just not as pronounced.
Maybe some of the problem is with your DIY juice. Can you give an example of what your mixing ??

Mare1077

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
Miami, FL
I had bought the attys to taste test my own creations, but I hadn't tried that yet since I knew I needed to break it in before I could get the "real" taste going. So, so far, I have just used purchased juice that is awesome on my cartos. Cappuccino with a splash of hazelnut, pina colada from FSUSA and I tried the blueberry from madvapes (not sure if I like it yet or not since I can't taste it really well on the atty. But I love FSUSA juice!

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Mare - I'm totally with you.

I have 510's, and they're cool for mindless chain vaping. I also use them because I have a 510 PT - the Kr8 PT's only come in 5v, and I don't like 5v.

But they just don't taste as good as cartos do to me. Nothing does, in fact. And they're fiddly and touchy. Cartos just work.

But I find the 901's taste better than the 510's. Not as much throat hit, but for the purposes of taste testing, I think the 901's fit the bill better.

thephoenix

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
hey, mare.

which type of 510 atty are you using? if you're a vapor hound, and you're using a 510 atty in the 2.0 ohm range, it's likely not going to give you the throat hit you crave, but should still be flavorful...

try dropping 2-3 drops of your favorite liquid right onto the atomizer bridge (aka priming it)...

if that doesn't work, i recommend upgrading to a LR 510 atomizer in the 1.7 ohm range - the throat hit on that atty in undeniable...i've actually had to downgrade from 24MG to 18MG on the 1.7 atty as it gives you not so much a throat hit as a "brain hit"!

good luck. i'm pretty well versed in the 510 realm, so PM me if you have any other specific questions...

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
I second what Mistress Nomad said:

"But I find the 901's taste better than the 510's. Not as much throat hit, but for the purposes of taste testing, I think the 901's fit the bill better."

I buy LR 901 attys from Mad Vapes or AltSmoke. For me, they have a good balance of taste, vapor production and throat hit.

Here's what I do to prepare a new atty:

-Blow through the cart end to remove as much primer as you can.

-Place a carto condom over the threaded end of the atty and fill it about half-full of alcohol or vodka.

-Place your finger over the open end and shake well for a minute, then pour the alky out and blow out the atty.

-Stand the atty on end and fill with pure PG; let most of it drain out slowly, then blow the rest out.

Now it's ready to use; drip in about 4 drops of your juice and vape.

Last edited:

Buzzy

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2010
Chicago
It's really weird how different our experiences are! I started with KR808 cartos, and switched to 510 atties because I found the vapor/flavor/th much better than cartos. Then I tried 510 cartos, both SLB and Boge, and went right back to 510 atties again. For me, I've yet to find a carto to equal a good 510 atty. I do agree, however, having tried 306 atties - great! If only the carts held more....
801 atties have wonderful flavor, too, but not quite as much th.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
It's really weird how different our experiences are! I started with KR808 cartos, and switched to 510 atties because I found the vapor/flavor/th much better than cartos. Then I tried 510 cartos, both SLB and Boge, and went right back to 510 atties again. For me, I've yet to find a carto to equal a good 510 atty. I do agree, however, having tried 306 atties - great! If only the carts held more....
801 atties have wonderful flavor, too, but not quite as much th.

This is so true. I was actually having a conversation with another vaper earlier. I like the 510 alright, but for me, my Kr8 cartos are the best. He's a die-hard 510 atty fan, and hates Kr8 cartos. He tried the Kr8 CE2's earlier...

"This tastes like :censored:"

"In a bad way, or in a Kr8 way?"

"In a Kr8 way. You'd love it."

Goes to show how different we are, ha ha.

sl_rat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
Western, NY
i agree with thephoenix. i'm new to the LR atty and i'm thinking that i may have bought my last standard atty. just tried the LR 306 atty as well. not too much difference between them. the answer has become Low Resistance. joye 510 atties do need to be blown out though. i've yet to meet the person who likes the taste of primer..LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread