510 connector for my build

Status
Not open for further replies.

etchie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Winter Springs, FL, USA
A while ago when I was gathering my list of parts, I got this from Fat Daddy Vapes: http://fatdaddyvapes.com/uploads/3/2/5/6/3256800/1672746.jpg?189

Now, I didn't notice at the time that it was to replace stripped threads and that it has a flat bottom and I wanted to know if I could till use it by soldering the positive and negative to the bottom (away from each other, obviously). I know it's pretty big but I have plenty of room for it in the box. I noticed it had a ring that went around the threading and I was going to use that to secure the connection to the hole, but it doesn't come completely off because there's a plastic insulator in the way, so I'm really not sure how to secure it that way. I also wanted to know to know if anyone has used it and does it seem to work well with all their atomizers. I don't think the pin is adjustable.

If there's no problem, I was thinking I might find a way to secure the connector underneath so that everything would be flush. The top of the box is thin enough that I don't think it would make much of a difference. Also, the box is pretty slim so even 22mm atomizers are going to go over the edge, and I'm okay with that. I don't however, want the connector to be hanging over the side, otherwise I would have gone with this one: http://fatdaddyvapes.com/uploads/3/2/5/6/3256800/2375022.jpg?211

Yeah, my box is a good bit slimmer than most. I have 2x1000mAh lipo's in it and it's stuffed. Are there other compelling connector options i don't know about? I also have one of those cheap gold ones from madvapes, but it just seems so flimsy. thanks in advance!

etchie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Winter Springs, FL, USA
Okay guys, I found some pictures to give you a much better idea of what I'm working with here. Luckily, I had a bunch of pictures I had on the computer already so I didn't have to take any. Didn't even have to get up. Booyah. 510 connector - Imgur

Oh yeah, and if there's any suggestion you may have about anything else based on these pictures, I'm all ears.

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
The 510 connector you purchased is adjustable and it can be taken apart. The positive pin screws up and down in the insulator for adjustment, however if you solder a wire to it you will no longer be able to screw it without twisting the wire. The insulator can be unscrewed from the main housing and then the retaining nut can be removed. There used to be pictures of it taken apart on Fatdaddys Ebay listing, but this product is not on Ebay at the present time.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
There is a 14mm version of the 22mm spring loaded connector. I have one right now in a small Altoids tin (the half-sized tin, not full sized).
510 Connector - Self-adjusting Spring Loaded Center Pin - 14mm & 22mm
You can now get both sizes of the connector (currently, only 22mm is in stock)

Altoids3.jpg

etchie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Winter Springs, FL, USA
The 510 connector you purchased is adjustable and it can be taken apart. The positive pin screws up and down in the insulator for adjustment, however if you solder a wire to it you will no longer be able to screw it without twisting the wire. The insulator can be unscrewed from the main housing and then the retaining nut can be removed. There used to be pictures of it taken apart on Fatdaddys Ebay listing, but this product is not on Ebay at the present time.

That's good to know, I'll be looking at it more closely when I get home. I also noticed as someone pointed out that there is a 14mm version of the other one, which is definitely something I would look into as well. I contacted Fat Daddy and they said that they will probably get more in on monday. Feeling much more confident about this now, thanks guys!

Edit: I meant Varitube

Last edited:

etchie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Winter Springs, FL, USA
There is a 14mm version of the 22mm spring loaded connector. I have one right now in a small Altoids tin (the half-sized tin, not full sized).
510 Connector - Self-adjusting Spring Loaded Center Pin - 14mm & 22mm
You can now get both sizes of the connector (currently, only 22mm is in stock)

View attachment 358485

Quick general question! I took one of the 510 inserts I had and put it in to see how I liked it. The aluminum on top is a bit bent now. I don't think it's anything I can't fix though. When I went to close the face of the box, it's having trouble closing because of the brass nut that's tightened and keeping the connector in place. I think if I can shave or sand the nut down on the side enough (while there's still enough of it to hug the connector, obviously(, then the face should be able to seal. I know doing it this way would severely limit being able to change the ability to adjust the pin but I thought I would give it a shot to see how it looked. I'm not sure if getting a 14mm would even help, depending on how thick the bottom of the connector is. Anyway, I've never had to sand or shave metal. Do you know what would be the best thing to use in order to do that? Thanks!

Also, if you're having trouble picturing what I'm talking about, I can post pictures tomorrow. I know it was a little convoluted. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread