510 Juice Hog Fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Religion

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
AZ
I love my other PVs. I want to also use my 510, but it hogs all my juice and ALWAYS tastes a little burnt. Do I need different resistance cartomizers (LR or HR)? Or do I need different batteries? I've already tried different PG VG ratios with little difference. I've even tried different model cartomizers with adaptors, but the 510 battery seems to make them burn too hot also. What is the deal with these batteries?

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
You using atomizer and cart? If so buy the precut blue foam stuffing for 510 at strictlyejuice.com - much less likely to give a burnt taste and easier to pull out to do a full fill (fill juice cup 1/2 way, insert tapered end of the foam, press the foam into the liquid to wet it, reposition top of foam at top of juice cup, top off with 2-3 drops so it looks damp. Then just top off when needed until topping off doesn't help (probably needs another full fill then)

Blue foam is also super-easy to wash if the flavor gets yucky - just take it out and hold in running eater then pat totally dry.

BTW - how low have you been using your atomizer and have you ever cleaned it? Does it look dirty and gunked up? That can cause burnt flavor too. Buy spare atomizers and then try cleaning the one you are using.

And try cartomizers - standard resistance Boge soft-caps are good

And off topic - Juicy Vapor's Butter Rum Caramel - omg very nice

Last edited:

phoenix6

Dec 7, 2010
Houston, TX
I am no pro to all of this but what I have learned is you have to balance the atomizer's resistance to the size of the battery you are using. 510 is used to refer to a connection, different devices using a 510 put out different voltages. My first box mod was a 3.7v and I used 2.0ohm cartomizers (this is considered LR) but I since have made a Puck box mod, this runs at 5v and I wouldn't put my 2.0ohm cartos on this as they would burn out fast and make the juice taste burnt. If you're using a higher voltage device, you should be using a higher resistance atty or carto, right now I am using 3.2ohm cartos on my puck and it is quite nice. Oh and both devices are using 510 connectors.

Religion

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
AZ
Thanks for the quick replies. I don't know the voltage of these batts. I think they are Joye 510 manual (3.7v). Maybe?
Anyway, if they are burning cartomizers I probably need to get some HR cartomizers to offset the high voltage batteries? I'm pretty sure my cartomizers are standard ohm. Generally speaking, upping the ohms will give me a cooler vape, right?

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
If you're talking about a regular 510 battery, then using LR or HV atties is going to make the problem worse and they could ruin your battery. LR atomizers should only be used on batteries that are at least 450mAh. HV atties should only be used with 5V or higher mods. Stick to the standard resistance atomizers. Like dormouse said, your atty might need a good cleaning. You might also have a wicking problem and the juice isn't getting to the bridge and keeping it wet. This can cause a burnt taste and it can also ruin the atomizer.

Try giving the atty a soak in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for about 20 minutes and let it dry overnight. Make sure that you haven't overstuff your cartridge and if you're using a cartomizer make sure that it's has plenty of juice in it. You can also try cleaning out the carto by rinsing it under hot water until the water runs clear. Blow the water out a few times while you're rinsing and that will help clear out the juice, too. Let those dry out for a couple of days before using it again. If it still smells or tastes burnt after this, then that carto is dead. Toss it out and try a new one.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Re atomizers - you need to use standard resistance atomizers on slim batteries. LR attys and cartos should only be used on the fat-battery models like Ego and Riva which have tougher electronics in the battery and can handle the increased current draw without being damaged. And HR attys and cartos are for high voltage mods.

Within standard resistance there are still many brands of attys and cartos, and you can also use standard resistance Joye 306 atomizers which are short w/ external bridge. They have their own small smaller carts with little push-up juice cup (I put blue foam in my cart). And if you have manual 510 you can use a 306 drip tip and drip on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread