510 PCC Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
I got my 510 PCC (portable charging case) today from Windows. They have a competitive price on them and, best of all, they're not branded with the Janty Electronic Cigarette logo.

The case is made from what I'd describe as medium grade aluminum. The metal is thick and sturdy feeling, but I'd be somewhat concerned about dropping it on a hard surface. It looks like it would dent pretty easily.

In terms of size, the unit is about 3/4 of the width of a standard cigarette pack, slightly more shallow (maybe a centimeter or so) and about 3/4 of an inch taller. It reminds me of the half pack boxes of 100s that you can get at some stores. The lid works just like the lid of a cigarette box, only it's spring loaded and activated by a little silver button on the left hand side. Activating the spring causes the top to flip back fairly violently, producing a pretty satisfying *snap* sound.

The unit features three status LED lights on the front. The bottom one toggles between red and green, showing the charge state of the case's internal battery when it's plugged it. The unit takes approximately four hours to charge according to the (badly translated) literature that comes with it, but mine switched from red to green after about two hours of charging. It's probably a good idea to give it at least four hours on the first charge no matter what the light says just to be safe.

The middle LED light is used when the case isn't attached to a power source. It lights up red when the case's internal battery needs charging. The top LED shows the status of the 510 (or 306) battery that's being charged by the case. When the battery is being charged, the light glows red. When the battery has received a full charge, the light goes out. The manufacturer claims that the case can charge a dead 510 battery 5 times on one case charge.

Power for the case is supplied by a USB connection. The one I got came with a USB cable for plugging into a computer's powered USB port, but you can also get a transformer for use with mains or a car charger cable that plugs into a cigarette lighter (ironic!). The plug for the USB connection is on the bottom of the case.

Inside, there are four slots. One slot holds a 510 (or 306) battery, one holds an atomizer and the remaining two hold capped cartridges. Because the atomizer slot is fairly deeply recessed, it can actually hold an atomizer with a cartridge attached to it, meaning that the case can hold 1 battery, 1 atomizer and 3 cartridges. That's about the perfect setup for a night out on the town or a short trip out of the city. If you bring along a travel bottle of fluid, you could use this setup for a long weekend in Vegas. ;)

The battery slot is spring loaded so that the battery doesn't start to charge until the lid of the case is closed, depressing the spring and making contact between the case's electronic element and the battery's poll. When you flip the case top open the battery hops up on it's spring, so you have to be a little careful about holding it upright, otherwise the battery may jump out of the case altogether.

The build quality of the unit is good, but not fantastic. It has a very spartan look, with screw heads clearly visible and crisp but obvious joins where the various parts come together. It feels very sold in your hand and doesn't give much flex if you press on the various surfaces with your thumb. Even the lid seems reasonably rugged. Gaps in the different pieces of aluminum let light slip out around the bottom when the LEDs are lighted, but not in a distracting way. Also, on my unit, the USB connection isn't perfectly aligned with the hole in the aluminum, so I have to flex the bottom of the case a little to get it lined up to accept a cable. It's only a millimeter or so off though so it's not a huge problem. The spring on the case lid is also a very basic affair but seems solid enough to do the job it's meant to do.

Overall impressions:

I really like the size and feel of this case. It's smaller than a normal cigarette pack, so it seems like it'll be a great way to cary my 510 around. I got the blue finish, which is actually a very attractive deep purple. The paint is a kind of powder coat that gives the case a subtly textured feel. The various slots inside are exactly the right size for the battery, atomizer and cartridges. If anything they grip each piece a little tighter than I'd like (with the exception of the battery, which, as I pointed out above, can jump out of its slot if you open the case at the wrong angle. On the whole, I'd give this thing about an 8 out of 10 right now. It could use some additional attention to build quality, fit and finish, but those are minor considerations, especially if you respond to an industrial/spartan design approach. I haven't used it on the road yet, but once I test it out in the field I'll append this review to reflect it's reliability and usefulness in terms of its core charging functions.

I'm really happy with it so far. If it gives a good charge and can get the advertised 4 - 5 battery charges per case charge I'll be even happier.

EDIT: One nice feature is that the cover is actually a slightly different color than the body of the unit. It's a shade darker, giving it a nice two tone look.

Here's some photos:

3590933730_8c0cd120c3.jpg

3590123805_a27e191bea.jpg

3590124517_9daf4237f0.jpg

3590933354_6073b1d339.jpg

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
FL
good review awsome case, I'm going to have to invest in this when I get the extra money to do so. I don't remember reading an answer to this question, but what is the charge time of the battery you put in there? Is it an hour long charge time just like with the wall charger?

It takes the same amount of time as the wall charger, as far as I'm able to tell.

I like that I'm able to have everything (except juice) all in the same place/container and that the battery is charging at the same time. So I always have a fresh battery at the ready.

Suzi

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying it out on the move. I like the idea of having the bat charge in between vaping sessions so that I don't need to worry about taking two bats along with me. Plus, if it's a long trip I can always take a complete 510 and the case with another one. If it's going to get heavy use it would be nice to have one battery charging while another is being used.

testerjtester

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Seattle, WA
Really, really nice review, you covered everything I would have wanted to know about the PCC, and then some. Thanks very much!

This is the first time I've seen someone compare the size of the PCC directly to the size of a pack of cigarettes, which is the best frame of reference I can think of. And, bonus - pictures of the two together!

I think I"ll need to wait for the black one from The Widow as well...

Does anyone know what the purpose of the screw sticking out the side is? Looks like it might be securing one end of an arm that holds the top to the body of the case? Any issues with it snagging on the side of a pocket?

Thanks again, Surf Monkey - this is easily the most thorough review of anything I've ever seen on this forum.

Tim

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
I think it's a great deal.

One addendum to the review so far:

The atomizer slot will only hold an atomizer with the threads pointing down into the hole. The bottom of the atomizer slot has a rubberized nib at the bottom so that the atomize's threads don't get damaged. BUT, because the atomizer is downwardly oriented, if you store a third cartridge on it, the fluid is bound to seep down into the atomizer, flooding it. The best solution, if you need to bring along three carts, is to store either an empty one or one with very little fluid in it attached to the atomizer. You'll need to top it up when you go to use it, but you won't flood the spare atomizer. Otherwise, you should just stick to a "nude" atomizer and two extra carts.

Wolfshifter

May 31, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
I just ordered two 510 Starter Kits for myself and my wife, but at the moment everyone seems to be out of stock on the Black PCCs except for Totally Wicked.

I'm holding off because my wife wants a Purple one. I doubt I'll be able to find one easily if anyone is even keeping them in stock. Any ideas on where to find a Purple PCC for her?

Can I find any decent Automatic Batteries with Blue & Purple LEDs for those times when neither of my hands is free to press the manual button?

effigi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I have noticed that it doesn't want to start the charge cycle sometimes. I was thinking mine might be defective, but I see others are having the same issue. What's the workaround? Do you just insert and reinsert the battery until it works right?

Exactly. I just work it around and spin it a bit if it is still giving me issues. Usually works everytime to start the cycle.

The manual batts fit in the newer PCCs. The one i have purchased has a groove in it for the switch so that is doesnt contact anything and prevents it from activating. I would make sure that the ones you are looking to buy have that groove in it. If unsure, contact the seller.

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
I'm holding off because my wife wants a Purple one. I doubt I'll be able to find one easily if anyone is even keeping them in stock. Any ideas on where to find a Purple PCC for her?

I just got my 'blue' PCC from Widow today. I have to agree with Surf; the 'blue' is more of a purple. I LOVE it! It's a nice deep purple, to my eyes.

Exactly. I just work it around and spin it a bit if it is still giving me issues. Usually works everytime to start the cycle.

The manual batts fit in the newer PCCs. The one i have purchased has a groove in it for the switch so that is doesnt contact anything and prevents it from activating. I would make sure that the ones you are looking to buy have that groove in it. If unsure, contact the seller.

By some chance, are there 2 different sizes of 510 batteries??
I'm feeling really stupid. When I put the battery in and shut the lid, nothing happened. It will begin charging if I push down on the battery, but there's no way for it to be 'pushed down' into the unit to charge.

I did try and twist it around, thinking maybe it needed to be threaded into the charger, but that didn't work either.

I know I'm tired and not thinking straight, but either I got a shorter battery on my less than week old 510, I got a goofy PCC, or I'm really daft and can't even charge a battery.

Other than that, I really LOVE this case. My negs on it are pretty much the same as Surfs & Effigy. But, you know, at the bottom of the left side cart hole, there's some matter in there -- looks like a soddering had dripped in there? or, is that in everyones?? (I don't even know how/why I found it since it's on the bottom of the hole.

Thank you so much for helping me. This will be my favorite case if I can get it to work! LOL

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
Another quick tip: the case charges off of a standard mini-USB connector, so if you already own a device with a USB charger, you can use that to charge the PCC. I have several iPod chargers and one of the newer (very small) iPhone travel chargers. It's just a transformer with a large USB port. Now I'm using it as my wall charger for the PCC. It'll be nice using this on the road too as it means I won't have to bring specific chargers for my iPhone, iPod and PCC. It even charges my point and shoot camera (but not my DSLR.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread