510 TECC Titan: Manual battery vs. USB pass-through - vapour quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

sl9

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
UK
Hi all,

I recently acquired a new 510 TECC Titan, with a manual battery and a USB pass-through (which uses a larger battery as you probably know).

Anyway, my problem is that the vapour produced by the USB pass-through does not give quite as much of a satisfying drag as the manual battery does. I have tested them both with a multimeter, and the batteries are fully charged. In fact the USB pass-through battery is even 0.05volts higher than the manual battery. The difference is not huge, they both produce about the same quantity of vapour, but the USB pass-through gives a slightly weaker throat-hit than the manual battery does - ie. the manual battery produces better quality vapour. I have to take a longer drag with the USB pass-through to get the same throat hit.

So why is this? Has anyone else discovered the same?

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
I put my 510 pass through to bed after a few hours use. I think most of the power is lost due to the hair thin wire, too much resistance. One of these days I'm going to solder some heavier wire and cut out the battery, or just buy a Puresmoker passthrough.
it is due to the thin wire............someone did a rework or their passthru with heavy wire and works great(thread somewhere here) I would assume the wire to the batt from the usb would be ok as is because it simply charges the batt.

sl9

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
UK
That does make sense I guess, thanks!

I've just done some more testing with my trusty multimeter, and the voltage coming out of the end of the pass-through is 4.14v. Now 4.14v is not much lower than the pass-through battery itself, which is 4.20v. So it seems the wire is causing the voltage to drop by 0.06v, which is barely anything at all.

Could it be that the thin wire is affecting the current more than it is affecting the voltage (which is hardly at all)? Is that actually possible? Wish I knew a bit more about electronics! :)

Vee

Apr 27, 2009
Los Angeles, U.S.A.
sl9: Do you notice a difference in draw between the passthrough and the manual batt?

I have a 510 but not a passthrough. I just learned recently though, that draw can have a lot to do with affecting the flavor and throat-hit of vapor. For instance, an 801 atty attached to a normal 801 battery is more flavorful and has less throat hit than when it is attached to a battery mod (Janty Stick) which gives more draw (oxygen) to that atty coil.

It seems the more oxygen and/or the quicker oxygen passes over the coil, the less the flavor and the more throat-hit.

Just a thought.

Minimike

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2009
Indiana, USA
Are your voltage measurements on a loaded (i.e. in use) source or one that is just sitting there?

The voltage drop, if present, would only appear if current is being drawn through the wire. If it is not heating an atomizer, the only load would be the resistance of your multimeter - which is VERY high and wouldn't draw much current at all.

sl9

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
UK
I took all 3 measurements with the pass-through, ie. loaded and no load. To clarify, the first reading I took was by just pressing the button on the pass-through thingy on the end of the thin wire. That gave 4.14volts, and there would have been no current draw as the atomizer was not connected.

For the second reading, the atomizer was still not connected (so no current draw), but I measured the battery terminals directly which gave 4.20volts. I can only assume that the 0.06v drop is due to the thin wire? I know DC voltage drops over distance anyway (the lower the voltage, the larger the drop), but I didn't think it would be noticeable over such a relatively short distance!

With the third reading I connected the atomizer and cartridge, and measured the battery terminals directly when current was being drawn to heat the atomizer. That gave something like 3.96volts, which I would expect due to the current being drawn from it. I couldn't measure at the other end unfortunately due to the atomizer being connected, maybe this would have shown just how much that thin wire was affecting it...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread