510 vs EM40X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
Today I'll be doing a head-to-head review of the generic Joytech 510 and the Eastmall Branded EM40X aka re-branded Smoore m401. I'll first go through initial thoughts, and then do a pros and cons list of both, and then a final summary at the end. I'll be using my own mix of 50/50 liquid.

I was given both by Eastmall to review, but my opinion will in no way will be effected by this.

Initial comparison: Aesthetic-wise, both are pretty clean looking. They're both the same size in length with the 510 being a tad thicker in diameter. Both produce a good amount of vapor on the get go, with the 401 producing a bit more than the 510. I'll have to break both in to really be able to compare them. As for flavor, the 510 is terrible. Taste is lost for the most part, replaced with an awful burned flavor. The carts for the 401 aren't too terrible, while the 510 carts are completely useless to me. Since I primarily drip, I could care less. The biggest gripe right off the bat for me is that the liquid CONSTANTLY gets thrown back into my mouth with the 510. They're too easy to flood. This is not the case with the 401. It's not looking good for the 510 so far.

510 Pros and Cons:
Pros - Good vapor production, sleek design, easy draw, sealed manual battery.
Cons - Horrible taste, liquid still getting in the mouth, VERY short battery life (30 minutes or so), stupid five second cut-off time, useless carts.

401 Pros and Cons:
Pros - Great and consistent vapor production, small, decent battery life for the size (about an hour and a half), good draw, good carts for the size, NO liquid in the mouth, great flavor.
Cons - short battery life due to size, seven second cut-off.

The winner is very clearly: the 401. The 510, while being the standard and most popular among users here, is simply not that good compared to the 401. The 401 is consistent, easy to use, and amazingly resilient for such a small pv. Highly recommended for first time users and vets.

Last edited:

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
I wasn't sure if Eastmall had Joytech, or if they were copies from another manufacturer.

The only real difference between your findings & mine is I got about twice as long out of each battery (up to 4 hours out of the EM4)

When testing for the first time, I'll vape non-stop. Probably not good for me, but a fair assessment for others.

Annastasia

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2009
Portland, Oregon
www.annstorer.com
I go back and forth between the 510 and the Mseries, myself. I agree with you on the taste issue with the 510 -- but you just can't beat it for reliability. When my 401s work, they are far superior to the 510, but my m-series PVs just seem to be moody. They work perfectly one day, and the next I spend half my time blowing out atties and tweaking my liquids.

I carry both, with the 510 in reserve for when my 401s are having a bad day.

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
I go back and forth between the 510 and the Mseries, myself. I agree with you on the taste issue with the 510 -- but you just can't beat it for reliability. When my 401s work, they are far superior to the 510, but my m-series PVs just seem to be moody. They work perfectly one day, and the next I spend half my time blowing out atties and tweaking my liquids.

I carry both, with the 510 in reserve for when my 401s are having a bad day.

for me, the m401 is always reliable while the 510 will be a bit finicky at times.

c'est la vie.

jussumdood

Sep 24, 2009
At a little over 6 weeks with a Smoore manual 401, this is something I'm still trying to figure out- some days it's all good, other days it's a struggle to get a good vape. I'd chalk it up to user error: flooding the Atty ( but I dip); battery half done and getting weak ( but it happens with my passthrough); just the M401 ( but I read about others having the same issue with every model including mods); the position of the moon and stars ( but, err, um,... never mind).

One thing I have noticed is the effect of different juices- have some Dekang juices in 10 mil bottles, and think some of it is really old, the plastic of the bottles is very stiff, and when I use it, none of my PV's work for crap- not the 401's on bat or pass, or even my new 201 on the passthrough- but if I get out the VG and vodka mix, I can get them vaping just fine after a little while.

The other thing I've noticed is resting a stubborn atty ( one that refuses to vape well) has so far, knock wood, worked. This could be the "dry out the flooded atty" scenario, but I wonder if it might also have something to do with changes in the resistance of the coil as it rests?

Saints

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
New Orleans
Accurate review for the most part. The m401 is far superior imo. I bought a 510 kit with a pcc out of curiosity because of the high reviews it got off of this site. Well..I cant stand the 510 and would rather smoke analogs...BUT, I did find these adapters today and placed an order so my batteries wont go to waist! AltSmoke | Personal Vaporizer Battery Adapters

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
What the hell? are we talking about the regular m401? Or is this some kind of new 401? cause every video review I have seen of people comparing the 510 and m401 all have said the 510 beats it in vapor production and throat hit. and now you guys are saying the complete opposite lol. Its hard to know what to believe with these damn things.

Sludge Van Diesel

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2009
Barnet UK
Accurate review for the most part. The m401 is far superior imo. I bought a 510 kit with a pcc out of curiosity because of the high reviews it got off of this site. Well..I cant stand the 510 and would rather smoke analogs...BUT, I did find these adapters today and placed an order so my batteries wont go to waist! AltSmoke | Personal Vaporizer Battery Adapters
Glad I'm not the only one.

In fairness it was OK, but not the almighty vape machine that a lot on here would have you believe. It's olyl pro over the my 401s is (slightly very slightly) more vapour production.
I have ordered the starter kit for this.
Hope this wont break my heart this time.
Nah, you'll be OK

Saints

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
New Orleans
What the hell? are we talking about the regular m401? Or is this some kind of new 401? cause every video review I have seen of people comparing the 510 and m401 all have said the 510 beats it in vapor production and throat hit. and now you guys are saying the complete opposite lol. Its hard to know what to believe with these damn things.

Nah paladinx it is the regular m401 that we are talking about. The throat hit is harder on the 510, but more harsh whereas the m401 is more smooth and the taste far exceeds the 510. As far as vapor production goes though, at first my 510 was slightly more, but tapered off a lot faster than the m401 which has stayed consistent, but it really isnt that noticeable.

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
Yeah, I dont know. Im telling you, every video review I have seen with regards to the 401 and 510, they always claim the 510 outclasses it. Who knows tho. I like how the 401 looks. The exposed atty is cool too. I cant see why people would use carts with the 401.

I guess the models that seem the most interesting on the forum so far to me are the m series, 401 702, the 510 and the kr808.

I wish i could try all of them, but its too expensive trying every model out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread