510 + Washing Machine = Oops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryle

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2008
Durant, Ok
So I accidentally forgot my 510 in my pocket and washed my clothes last night.. The atty survived intact.. the run through the wash seems to have cleaned it pretty well lol. But the battery doesn't seem too happy. I'm betting it's toast but I was curious if anyone's ever had one survive or brought it back? Or is it now spare parts for a mod? :p

The LED on mine still lights up, still holds a charge, but there's this white stuff (the bf says he think's its corrosion) on the center terminal so when I tried to use it, it wasn't making the atty fire up.

Any thoughts?

bwood12043

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2008
East Texas
I did the very very same thing.... laundered the ole 510.

Luckily, like yours, the atty survived and was very clean.

On my battery, however, I dried it the best i could, then put it in a baggie of rice overnight BEFORE ever trying to activate it, didn't push the button or anything before drying it out, and it works well now.

You might go ahead and try cleaning the connection, then put it in a baggie of rice at least overnight and see what happens. The rice absorbs the moisture. And removing the little rubber cover from the button will allow any moisture inside to be pulled out by the absorbency of the rice. Living in a very himid area, rice is our best friend, so I tried this right away.

Good luck with it.... I hate losing good batteries !

Michele

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Lewisville, Texas
I did the very very same thing.... laundered the ole 510.

Luckily, like yours, the atty survived and was very clean.

On my battery, however, I dried it the best i could, then put it in a baggie of rice overnight BEFORE ever trying to activate it, didn't push the button or anything before drying it out, and it works well now.

You might go ahead and try cleaning the connection, then put it in a baggie of rice at least overnight and see what happens. The rice absorbs the moisture. And removing the little rubber cover from the button will allow any moisture inside to be pulled out by the absorbency of the rice. Living in a very himid area, rice is our best friend, so I tried this right away.

Good luck with it.... I hate losing good batteries !

Humid....East Texas....oh yeah.

You can also use crackers. We usually put a saltine in our sugar dispenser for that reason. I think crackers work better than rice IMHO.

Ryle

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2008
Durant, Ok
I'll try cleaning and the rice thing.. not like I have anything to lose lol :p

When I lived in OK & FL & GA mom always put rice in the salt shaker and said that it was to keep the moisture out of the salt so it din't clump together.. i guess it worked.. idk.. never tried it without the rice I just remember the first time I found the rice in the salt shaker when refilling it I thought they were maggots! I freaked out :oops: (I was like 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread