Not open for further replies.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Hi all,

Walk outside at about midnight. Look up. The really bright thing you see (other than the moon) is the planet Jupiter. This is it's closest approach in 47 years, and it is 594 million km away.

This notice is good for about another 3 days.

If you aren't going to live another 47 years... best you go look.

Wow I did go and look! No I don't think that I will be here another 47 years. I don't know if I am more amazed by Jupiter or the fact that David and Pam have an almost 3 year old and are juggling all of these sales!

lmao trust me, we are more then "suprised" we have our Bethany, she is such a ball of energy she wears us out, along with her older 6 siblings, none of us can keep up with her. she loves the moon and stars and every night hauls my old .... outside so she can see them :) god I love the young children, so innocent and wide eyed :)

Sponge Bobiwan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2010
Wisconsin
A small backyard telescope, something in the range of 3.25" to 5" diameter mirror (Newtonian Reflector Telescope) that can be purchased new at outlets such as Sam's Club, etc. for under $200 will reveal a few of Jupiter's moons and the stripes on Jupiter. I'm not suggesting that one purchase a scope for that purpose alone. I'm merely pointing out what can be seen with even a small inexpensive telescope.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I know those surprise packages. LOL We have a 20 yr old and a 7 yr old. I do miss those toddler years and feeling their amazement as they discover new things.

Don't worry that is what grand children are for. I am going to see mine this weekend. He is turning 2. We moved about 3 hours away and the very next year he was born. Been trying to move back ever since.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I went out and looked and I'll be danged. I saw London, I saw France, I saw someones underpants, :D Oh that was Jupiter I saw huh? Thanks Cozzicon, That's pretty cool.

10sept23_430.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

the vaporizer

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2010
New York
i hope its not cloudy tonight..i want to see this..i used to be big into astronomy and physics...all the way from 6 years old till..well...when i started college and didnt have time for anything else...but i always buy astromony magazine and keep up on stuff...stephen hawkings doube book "A breif history in time" is a really greaqt read for anyone thats interested...I was always fascinated by black holes, worm holes, time travel, the universe, singularities, rare particles, beginning of the universe, diff types of stars...

Another great bok that puts the universe into prospective and really gives a new outlook on life is an older book by Louis J. Halle called "Out of Chaos" it is a really brilliant book....it talks about everything that is the universe, life, civilization, and the mind.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
i hope its not cloudy tonight..i want to see this..i used to be big into astronomy and physics...all the way from 6 years old till..well...when i started college and didnt have time for anything else...but i always buy astromony magazine and keep up on stuff...stephen hawkings doube book "A breif history in time" is a really greaqt read for anyone thats interested...I was always fascinated by black holes, worm holes, time travel, the universe, singularities, rare particles, beginning of the universe, diff types of stars...

Another great bok that puts the universe into prospective and really gives a new outlook on life is an older book by Louis J. Halle called "Out of Chaos" it is a really brilliant book....it talks about everything that is the universe, life, civilization, and the mind.

Yup- I've read Halle. Excellent stuff.

Chaos theory is a wonderful area of study. Love it.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
wow...not a lot of people have heard of that book when i metion it...he really is a great thinker! and yes chaos theory is one of those areas you could spend your life studying!

Have you read "The Physics of Immortality: Modern Cosmology, God and the Resurrection of the Dead" by Tipler?

That will really twist your head- and regardless of the title it's not religious. It's based on the Omega Point Theory.

the vaporizer

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2010
New York
Have you read "The Physics of Immortality: Modern Cosmology, God and the Resurrection of the Dead" by Tipler?

That will really twist your head- and regardless of the title it's not religious. It's based on the Omega Point Theory.

I have not...but i am going to look for a COPY! Im gonna do a search on the omega point theory right now :)

the vaporizer

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2010
New York

interesting!!!!! Im gathering that in this theory since the omega point is pre determined that all affects after the big bang and from the beginning of the universe are moving to a predetermined path and point...The only question i hqave is what happens then..once technological singularity is reached..i read we reach higher levels of consiousness and personality but what happens to the rest of the matter in the universe...does time continue? Is time irrelevant at that point? Im sure he speaks much more in depth of this in the book..but im curious now lol..

I always believed in a continuous expansion-retraction effect of the universe..where the big bang has happened infinetly whereas it creates time with every new :big bang"

I truly believe that we, the human race, have NOOOO idea what were talking about and even the smartest minds in the world are only skimming the top of the water in a giant ocean when it comes to true knowledge...

I also find it difficult to believe that, in the omega point theory, that humans are the highest level of consionsness and complexity...I mean yes..we are as far as we know..but i am confident that within the other 100,000,000,000,000 galaxies out there that there is a higher level of consciousness and complexity...we are not the almighty...im sure in another 5 million years, which is like a milisecond when compared to the life of the universe, that we will be gone and something else will take over that is much smarter..

Please fill me in on more details of this theory if you have time!!!

BTW...i did check out Jupiter last night and it was in that exact position...and it was the only light in the sky that was visible by me!!!! very cool. Thank you! I wish i had a nice telescope to see more detail! I bet you can get some really nice pictures with a good scope!

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
interesting!!!!! Im gathering that in this theory since the omega point is pre determined that all affects after the big bang and from the beginning of the universe are moving to a predetermined path and point...The only question i hqave is what happens then..once technological singularity is reached..i read we reach higher levels of consiousness and personality but what happens to the rest of the matter in the universe...does time continue? Is time irrelevant at that point? Im sure he speaks much more in depth of this in the book..but im curious now lol..

I always believed in a continuous expansion-retraction effect of the universe..where the big bang has happened infinetly whereas it creates time with every new :big bang"

I truly believe that we, the human race, have NOOOO idea what were talking about and even the smartest minds in the world are only skimming the top of the water in a giant ocean when it comes to true knowledge...

I also find it difficult to believe that, in the omega point theory, that humans are the highest level of consionsness and complexity...I mean yes..we are as far as we know..but i am confident that within the other 100,000,000,000,000 galaxies out there that there is a higher level of consciousness and complexity...we are not the almighty...im sure in another 5 million years, which is like a milisecond when compared to the life of the universe, that we will be gone and something else will take over that is much smarter..

Please fill me in on more details of this theory if you have time!!!

BTW...i did check out Jupiter last night and it was in that exact position...and it was the only light in the sky that was visible by me!!!! very cool. Thank you! I wish i had a nice telescope to see more detail! I bet you can get some really nice pictures with a good scope!

Well the basic of Tipler's view takes the idea from quantum physics that everything is information, he posits that life becomes infinite, and therefor the universe itself creates it's own "God". But it's not the same kind of God that western religion would describe, but basically a distributed being of infinite knowledge.

If you remember Carl Sagan's concept that "Life is the universe trying to understand itself"- Tipler's ideas have even more impact.

I haven't followed Tipler a lot since I read that book, so I'm not sure what he thinks of string theory. I would be surprised if he wasn't a string theorist having trashed possible GUTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread