5v Mods - NOT boxy ones :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
I've decided I like 5volt vaping way more than 3.7v (my 5v PT is my permanent facial attachment lol) and I'm looking aorund for a GOOD 5v mod that isnt shaped like a box (or a hip flask..or a pipebomb).
I was consdering the Joker (although the price was somewhat offputting) but there seem to be some issues with it that I'd rather not fuss with, prefer something that works, and works consistently. I also don't want something HUGE as I have small girly hands and not a strong grip so a heavy mod is out.
Not sure if I'm asking too much for what's on the market right now. Ive seen some stellar 3.7v devices but I just dont think 3.7 really cuts it for me any more
SO apart from the above;
I know I could use an LR atty but will that TRUELY give me the 5v luciousness that I crave without being tied to the wire like I am with my PT? (I'd go that route but I see a lot of 'short lived LR atty' posts, kind of offputting)
And...give your thoughts/recommendations on your great 5v mod (with links if possible so I can go look it up!)

Note: I havent tried 6v at ALL (Chucks are tempting, but 6v seems scary! :D)

Thanks as always gang!:vapor:

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I made one that is just like the 3.7volt, 3 minute lighter mod that Connman made, except it's 5volt. It is very small looks like a lighter and has a mechanical switch so it won't ever burn out.
Except for the pipe shape you don't like, the Buzz is the best PV I have ever used with it's ability to cover every minute voltage setting on the scale. Made all my others obsolete.

Last edited:

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
The pipe shape is ok 5card, I didn't describe very well what I didn't like lol
The Buzz is interesting - I jsut went and looked at it, and I do like the idea of variable voltage being an option.
I also really like the reviews Ive read of the GLV but its the shape that I have an issue with lol. I know Im so fussy - its a girl thing :oops: Perhaps it won't matter as much I THINK it does.
Skyy - I mentioned the 'weight' of the Saber because i saw a reviewer - who LOVED the mod btw - say it was too large and awkward for him so he ended up selling it. That's something I don't want to do - which is why I mentioned wieght - I probably should've said 'size' :) I know that because of the battery size though theres only so small they can make them, so I do accept its going to be a bit larger than my 510.

So - GLV, Buzz or possibly Saber to choose from do we think? How will I narrow it down? :cry:

WitchWay

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Hi CaptJay,

I thought the same thing that I could not like anything big like the Buzz, but now I've had it a week it's really not bad. I use a 302/801 atty so mine is taller than if I used a 901 on it. With the batteries in and the atty with drip tip on, it weighs 4 oz and is 6.75 inches tall and 7/8 inch diameter. Without the atty it's a little over 4 inches tall. I also have small hands with a bit of arthritis and so far it hasn't bothered me at all. I do only use it while at my desk or watching TV. I don't walk around with it or try to put it in my pocket and will not be taking it out of the house. I save my small PVs for that. You're not going to find anything much smaller that isn't a box and still does 5 or 6 volts.

Of course the biggest thing is the variable voltage. It is just too cool!!

redgirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brunswick, MD

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
The pipe shape is ok 5card, I didn't describe very well what I didn't like lol
The Buzz is interesting - I jsut went and looked at it, and I do like the idea of variable voltage being an option.
I also really like the reviews Ive read of the GLV but its the shape that I have an issue with lol. I know Im so fussy - its a girl thing :oops: Perhaps it won't matter as much I THINK it does.
Skyy - I mentioned the 'weight' of the Saber because i saw a reviewer - who LOVED the mod btw - say it was too large and awkward for him so he ended up selling it. That's something I don't want to do - which is why I mentioned wieght - I probably should've said 'size' :) I know that because of the battery size though theres only so small they can make them, so I do accept its going to be a bit larger than my 510.

So - GLV, Buzz or possibly Saber to choose from do we think? How will I narrow it down? :cry:
The GLV as far as I can tell just uses a resistor to tone down the voltage.

Note a mod that uses 2 Tenergy 3V LiPO's will fire a Joye 510 at 5.18V anyway.

The Saber uses common 98¢ garden hose caps and pipe nipple for the body, hardly seems worth the high price. The BUZZ looks promising, is priced right and has been custom built/machined. It also has multiple layers of protection. Being able to adjust the voltage is a plus, in my case with Joye 510's 4.5V is ideal.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Hey Quasi :) Yeah I sometimes but not always carry a 'purse' (its a handbag dammit! lol) but I dont really fancy a kensington (I think that's where you were going with that right? lol) or wires trailing around me whilst out.
I kind of agree about the Saber - though it looks nice - price wise ita little - ouchie.
The GLV or the Buzz then perhaps - and I dont THINK the precise is a 5v unit Son et Lumiere, if it was it would certainly be on my list, its rather nice. (If it turns out It IS a 5v unit, someone let me know lol)
Keep it coming folks :) This is great stuff, really helpful.

Last edited:

redgirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brunswick, MD
I think he meant precious, as in MY PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSSS..........................lol.

Also, I thought I'd hate a box mod, but after using it, it's probably my most used mod. I take it to work because it has an on/off button and fits in my hand or pocket discreetly. I just got 2 high drain 14500s for it and they kick pretty good.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
I think he meant precious, as in MY PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSSS..........................lol.

Hmmm...the One Ring mod.......
onering.jpg

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
The new 5v mod mad vapes is coming out with looks pretty sweet.

Ohhhh..now that one I haven't seen - and I like to buy from them as they are local (support your local businesses n all that). Got a link for it?

(btw so far the Buzz and the GLV are looking like my top 2 possibles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread