6 months vaping, I'd love opinions on where to go next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boiller

Dec 16, 2017
Portugal
Hi all, as the title says I'm nearing 6 months vaping which have been lovely due to leaving behind the stink of analogs. I enjoy vaping much more than cigarettes and even got some coworkers retrying the vape.

While I really enjoy my first setup, I've been wanting to change things up a bit, and as my birthday is coming up, I'll treat myself. What I currently have is:

Drag always on TC at 220-250 C (428-482 F), 65W-80W preheat with SS316L 26*30ga claptons on:
  • TVF8 BBB (~0.25Ω)
  • Zeus (~0.75Ω)
  • Zeus Dual (~0.30Ω)
I've slowly learnt how to build coils and wick properly with these pieces and it's been fun, I love to tinker.

I also have on the mail an OBS Engine 23mm that I got on sale and a JAC Vapour DNA75 25mm mod. The JAC Vapour is my first treat as the Drag, while not uncomfortable, is very bulky as an EDC to take to work. I'll keep the Drag at home as a backup.

Over the course of the day I'll use up about 5-10ml of juice. I've been mostly vaping NovaVapes stuff, and I'm loving the minty juices, especially strawberry lemonade and grape.

I've been chucking clouds, and with the JAC I'd like to go stealthier, so I'm considering two things now, trying out MTL vaping and trying out a Squonker and RDAs. Thing is, I'm set on TC. And I haven't managed to find much discussion on TC with the pieces I'm considering buying.

In regards to MTL, I'm looking at the Cthulhu Hastur 24mm MTL RTA to use with the JAC or the Drag. I figure the airflow inserts will help me figure out what kind of vape I'd prefer and it doesn't look too hard to build on. Are there RTAs more appropriate for TC use? Or is this one a safe bet for a beginner MTL? Are there any issues with the Hastur over-time (o-rings, threading, etc)?

I'm also wondering if MTL would tone down the minty kick on the throat from ice flavors? While I like them, sometimes I feel the kick is a bit overwhelming.

Regarding Squonkers and RDAs, size and portability are my priority as I shift to a stealthier vape for out-and-about. With some affordable regulated squonk boxes hitting the market, I'm very interested. Plus I'm also interested in trying RDAs. What I've been eyeing are the Hotcig RSQ or the VV Pulse BF coupled with a Wasp Nano, but have no idea about BF MTL RDAs and what are my options to try MTL on a squonk?

Also I read the Pulse is still shaky on TC? Are performance issues like this easily fixed through firmware updates? When buying gadgets I usually wait for the early-adopters to give out some feedback to sort out any early production mishaps and then I'll go in. Are affordable TC squonkers still too young and could use more refinement?

TLDR: MTL for stealthier vape, Cthulhu Hastur safe bet or? Affordable TC regulated squonks, still too early or good time to try them out?

Sorry for the wall of text, but I really appreciate this forum, the gathered knowledge in these pages helps tremendously! Thanks

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have the JAC Vapour series B DNA7W. I use it as my all day vape. I think it will fit your requirement as a stealthy vape. It's a fantastic little mod.

I use an original Crown clearomizer on my JAC. Both the 4 ml standard and the 2 ml mini size. The mini is about a half inch shorter so it is a little more stealthy on the JAC. The air control ring can be adjusted for MTL or DTL. The Crown has 4 options of coils:

• 0.15 ohm Dual Ni200 Nickel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 400 to 600 Degrees Fahrenheit (Temp Control)
  • 0.25 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 80 to 120W
  • 0.5 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 30 to 80W
  • 1.2 ohm Single Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Coil - 10 to 30W
I only vape at 30 watts in wattage mode, so I prefer either the 0.5 or 1.2 ohm coils. I did a review here: Tanks & RDA's Ratings & Explanations

There's a thread here on ECF dedicated to the JAC Vapour Series-B DNA 75w. Several folks there use their JAC in Temp Control.

Oh, and BTW, welcome to the forum! :thumbs:

Last edited:

Boiller

Dec 16, 2017
Portugal
I have the JAC Vapour series B DNA7W. I use it as my all day vape. I think it will fit your requirement as a stealthy vape. It's a fantastic little mod.

I use an original Crown clearomizer on my JAC. Both the 4 ml standard and the 2 ml mini size. The mini is about a half inch shorter so it is a little more stealthy on the JAC. The air control ring can be adjusted for MTL or DTL. The Crown has 4 options of coils:

• 0.15 ohm Dual Ni200 Nickel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 400 to 600 Degrees Fahrenheit (Temp Control)
  • 0.25 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 80 to 120W
  • 0.5 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 30 to 80W
  • 1.2 ohm Single Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Coil - 10 to 30W
I only vape at 30 watts in wattage mode, so I prefer either the 0.5 or 1.2 ohm coils. I did a review here: Tanks & RDA's Ratings & Explanations

There's a thread here on ECF dedicated to the JAC Vapour Series-B DNA 75w. Several folks there use their JAC in Temp Control.

Oh, and BTW, welcome to the forum! :thumbs:

Thanks for your thoughts, I actually considered the Uwell Crown before but as I got into rebuildables I lost interest in stock clearomizers. I'm really hyped to receive my JAC though, hopefully early this week.

Evolv have released firmware updates for their boards to enable a feature called Replay, which works with TC-capable wires to try and give you the same sort of puff that you capture, you may be interested in trying it out.

Seems like Replay is not implemented in the DNA75 (DNA75C only?) which the JAC has, so I can't try it just yet. Are there any squonkers with a Replay enabled DNA chip?

Reactions: stols001

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I have a Pulse 80W that is allegedly due here tomorrow. I'm an avid TC vaper too, and I can't wait to try it. It's a no-lose situation for me--the other two squonker models I have don't even have variable wattage. Just having a serviceable VW squonker is a step up from mech or regulated bypass. If I'm able to get a decent TC experience out of it, all the better.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Worth noting--I have two other non-squonk mods with unsatisfactory hard coded temp control for Stainless wire: the Battlestar Mini and the Exus Ark. The former fires too hot; the latter too cool. However, both have a separate mode for entering a custom temp coefficient, and I was able to find the magic number and get very good TC capability through a short trial and error process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread