67% Excise Tax In Washington DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JULIA HUGGINS

Nov 29, 2018
I live in Alexandria VA, only *4* miles from Washington DC, where I work. Was going to switch my default mailing address to the office for ease of delivery but got to the checkout and there was a massive $43+ excise tax.

Found out that the DC excise tax on any vaping product is a whopping 67%, the same as any tobacco product.

I remember a few years back there was a proposed 5% tax hike in Washington on foods/beverages above a certain rda fat content and the lobbyist were falling all over themselves to get that quashed (and they succeeded).

I'm gob-smacked (but in a way, not surprised).

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Anything around DC is so far left anymore it's little wonder.

They aren't willing to let their sin taxes go now that we aren't smoking.

I mean, who else is going to pay for "free everything"..
If I gotta give up blaming various wings of the government for random stuff I think I’m going to complain when anyone else does it. Sin taxes are a right wing thing not a left wing thing. They primarily affect the poor. Also DC’s permanent residents are majority minority, and it’s a city to boot.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
If I gotta give up blaming various wings of the government for random stuff I think I’m going to complain when anyone else does it. Sin taxes are a right wing thing not a left wing thing. They primarily affect the poor. Also DC’s permanent residents are majority minority, and it’s a city to boot.

We are all entitled to our opinions...

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I live in the DC suburbs too. The excise tax has less to do with "sin taxes" than it does to do with vape products being federally classified as tobacco products. DC is a liberal city but is unique in that DC is not a state and Congress has significant control on the government of the District of Columbia. Blame the FDA.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Is it Me?

Or do these Threads seem to turn Partisan almost Immediately?
    Trust me, it's an old joke :D.

I live in the DC suburbs too. The excise tax has less to do with "sin taxes" than it does to do with vape products being federally classified as tobacco products. DC is a liberal city but is unique in that DC is not a state and Congress has significant control on the government of the District of Columbia. Blame the FDA.

Do they tax other vapables as well? Just curious.

Last edited:

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 18, 2013
    Chicago
    Anything around DC is so far left anymore it's little wonder.

They aren't willing to let their sin taxes go now that we aren't smoking.

I mean, who else is going to pay for "free everything"..

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez has a plan to make everything free. She's a genius!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Liberal city is redundant these days. The dividing line between red and blue is generally at or near city limits in almost every state.

Inside or outside of the beltway btw? My dad retired near Gaithersburg. Beautiful place. When the wind wasn’t blowing off the cow pasture anyway.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I am actually super glad to not be on the East Coast anymore, even though I used to miss it. Being about 3 feet away from Mexico is Just Fine By Me. (Although, there is quite a bit of government about, but they're all busy checking in the Mexicans they want and etc.

In fact, I was watching this special on the gigantic TIDAL WAVE that was gonna wipe out the east coast and if it could coincide with CA falling into the ocean, we might have a chance, I have no idea. I sort of think that like, the Midwest is sort of more idle. Etc.

I don't think sin taxes are a "right" or "left thing personally. I think the GOVERNMENT kind of sucks.

My sis is alt.left and like, she works as a lawyer for a super right wing judge on some high circuit somewhere and they seem to not only be friends, but tender sort of friends.

It is possible for the left and right to get on the same page for many, many reasons.

Now, I'd like to think they're both high integrity and all that but I have NO CLUE she's not allowed to discuss her job even what it IS.

That's.. somewhat problematic. There is NO transparency in government and now there is NONE in the media, either.

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread