Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The committee will also meet Thursday, March 22, at the rise of the Senate (about 4:30 p.m.) in Room 211 on the second floor of the State House.

The panel will hear testimony on Article 4 of the FY 2018 state budget, relating to taxes and revenues, specifically Section 5: sales and use tax expansion, Section 6: electronic cigarettes, Section 7: cigarette tax, and Section 8: floor stock.

The committee will also hear testimony on the following bills:
  • 2018-S 2117 — This bill, introduced by Sen. Joshua Miller (D-Dist. 28, Cranston, Providence), would add electronic nicotine-delivery systems to the definition of “tobacco” for tax purposes.
  • 2018-S 2121 — This bill, introduced by Senator Miller, would require a little cigars tax be imposed in the same manner as the cigarette tax with 25 percent of revenue applied to smoking cessation programs and that little cigars be sold in packs of 20 or more.
The Senate Committee on Finance is chaired by Sen. William J. Conley Jr. (D-Dist. 18, East Providence, Pawtucket). The Committee on Education is chaired Sen. Hanna M. Gallo (D-Dist. 27, Cranston, West Warwick).

MEDIA ADVISORY: Senate Finance Committee scheduled to hear testimony on various budget items this week

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Isn't this why a Bunch of People threw Tea in a Harbor way back in the day?
We hung or shot their collaborators too. #justsayin

<--had family in the Revolutionary War and a Brigadier General in the Mass Militia

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
One really has to wonder just what they hope to accomplish by trying to push this type of tax? Yes, on face value it appears that they are just greedy, money hungry empty suits. But it is hard to believe they are not aware that this will kill the industry - at least openly and legally. So what is really their end game? To push everyone who vapes back to smoking? Either way its a no win - except for them. Again it is all about the $. Peoples lives be damned. The health of its citizens, once again, is pushed aside in favor for lining their pockets.
Human nature at its worst.

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
One really has to wonder just what they hope to accomplish by trying to push this type of tax? Yes, on face value it appears that they are just greedy, money hungry empty suits. But it is hard to believe they are not aware that this will kill the industry - at least openly and legally. So what is really their end game? To push everyone who vapes back to smoking? Either way its a no win - except for them. Again it is all about the $. Peoples lives be damned. The health of its citizens, once again, is pushed aside in favor for lining their pockets.
Human nature at its worst.
It is the balance they want to maintain. Tobacco settlement money has probably seen decline and this vape industry thing is to blame. They were doing fine before the vape vendors opened, so let's tax them to either drive people back to tobacco or pay their fair share. It's all about $.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
It is the balance they want to maintain. Tobacco settlement money has probably seen decline and this vape industry thing is to blame. They were doing fine before the vape vendors opened, so let's tax them to either drive people back to tobacco or pay their fair share. It's all about $.
I can see a reasonable tax, but its the 95% I was referring to. There is no doubt that their tax revenues have declined recently, but to try to make it up in this manner just shows their greed. imo

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
I can see a reasonable tax, but its the 95% I was referring to. There is no doubt that their tax revenues have declined recently, but to try to make it up in this manner just shows their greed. imo
I cannot understand any tax. Vaping is a relatively new industry, that accomplishes what the governments profess to have wanted and have failed miserably to accomplish - smoking cessation. But when it comes to the realization that "oh ...., people are purchasing less cigarettes and using vaping devices - what are we to do about loss of revenue?" that is when the ridiculous taxes come forward and legislation to ban or regulate them comes into view.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I cannot understand any tax. Vaping is a relatively new industry, that accomplishes what the governments profess to have wanted and have failed miserably to accomplish - smoking cessation. But when it comes to the realization that "oh ...., people are purchasing less cigarettes and using vaping devices - what are we to do about loss of revenue?" that is when the ridiculous taxes come forward and legislation to ban or regulate them comes into view.
but...but... even tho they say they want their citizens to have and practice better health,,,,,they don't really mean it......we gave them what THEY asked for, CRIED about, COMPLAINED about, RAISED taxes about, INCREASED health cost for.....AND they still are not happy. Reminds me of a 4 yo having a tantrum.....

As i have stated all along....they are in serious need of adult supervision.

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
Same scenario with gas taxes. Fuel efficiency is mandated, people are purchasing less fuel, but cost of road maintenance increases. What to do? Increase gas taxes. Apply the same reasoning to cell phone technology. FCC and state governments taxing them at higher rates than land lines. Why? Because revenue from land-line tax and usage charges have decreased. Industry learns to do more with less and with efficiencies. Governments? Not so much.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
but...but... even tho they say they want their citizens to have and practice better health,,,,,they don't really mean it......we gave them what THEY asked for, CRIED about, COMPLAINED about, RAISED taxes about, INCREASED health cost for.....AND they still are not happy. Reminds me of a 4 yo having a tantrum.....

As i have stated all along....they are in serious need of adult supervision.

But Step Back for a moment. And look at it from their prospective.

Some State imposes a Wholesale Floor Tax, or Raises the Age to Buy to 21, or whatever... What were the Consequences?

Was there an Uproar in the Media?
Or a Rally in a Major City(ies)?
Or Petitions to Oust the Author/Co-Author/Sponsors of the Legislation?
Or a Deluge of Lawsuits?

Elected Officials learned a Long Time ago that if there is No Blow Back from something, Keep Doing It.

And if the Tax that was Enacted has a Negative Effect because it just Moves Business Out of State, so what? Just Tax something Else. And if that Doesn't work, and does the Same Thing as the 1st Tax, just Wash, Rinse and Repeat.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You know with some states imposing this kind of tax, I hate to imagine what the feds will do. No wonder Gottleib is focusing on "imports from China" taxing does nothing to importation. And, if it becomes a "black market" well, at least when caught, fines get levied, and prisons get filled.

I find it hard to believe vaping has upset the tobacco agenda's desires, to this extent. The one positive I see out of ALL of this is that vaping has become "mainstream" enough for law makers to look at it as "taxable." I knew this day was coming but I didn't know when. It's disturbing how things are being handled, that is pretty much all I know. :(

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread